• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Postage-free Postal Post Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grey whisker's the tail wind was great no smoke coming back--This was shot with a GPR 54 cal 1-60 flint. alright I'm letting some secrets out here only 60 gr.FFF with a spit patch--coated with fresh Cope!
Tomorrow I'm pulling out the BIG GUN!

Hey Grey Whisker's-just between you and me-don't tell anyone- them frozen boards don't splinter like the dry ones do!

Guys since it's cold out why not fill a 5 gal. bucket place the 2x4 in the water set it out side to freeze and instant portable post target!

shot the big gun today it was brutal weather wise 8 deg. 20 mph stiff wind off the marsh. Not so brutal shooting 60 gr fff in the 62 cal.

here's the shooting bench-"Roundball's heater" Man it took the edge off...Plywood to slow the wind..I had to turn my back to it to prime the pan.

IMG_0389.jpg

before

IMG_0378_1.jpg

after

IMG_0381.jpg

behind back stop- lots of hot lead in there!Wood splinters every where.

IMG_0382_1.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

The Dirty Bird Inn.......My hunting headquarters 18 minutes from home.No electric no running water .just rough enough to keep the 2 legged does away.

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

Feeding the Downy woodpeckers and Chickadee's
It's the heart of the buck I took with the T/C 54 flint my first!..I stung it up and poured bacon grease over the top..They love it!

IMG_0386.jpg

gees! yer like habitat fer inhumanity shootin them 2x4s!!! :rotf:
ya know.. :hmm: with no women folk around ya could shot from a window inside the cabin... :wink: been way warmer and oh what a story!! :rotf:

ya dun good! an appears ya had some fun! good fer you! :hatsoff:

RC- ..Those 2x4's look pretty skinny even at 25 yards looking through the sights......2 years ago We(This is My family's Hunting Shack)jacked the shack up..cut the rotted floor deck off built a new one in place dropped the shack on blocks-built an entrance deck ..then we blew out the ceiling .tore the interior walls off insulated and used knotty pine for the interior walls.at that time we replaced all the windows....The windows facing the woods will not open..pre-planed..so there is no temptation..I have watched lots of deer through those windows. they love to bed in the cattails on the marsh. There are other hunting shacks on the property mostly family members ..I am 2nd generation here My Dad and Uncles started hunting here after WWII.
Its a great place to introduce young kids to nature. This is where I fell in love with the outdoors!..Now it's a life style.

looks like a great place fer family an younguns to be!..know all about hem narrowin 2x4's..ya ought see em shrink in size in a timed team shoot! :rotf: and yes it takes alotta shots even with a team.. :haha:

RC-So maybe I should not be too embarrassed to send my score in?--I thought is was just me! :redface:

well, it "seems" easy to do...but them slivers of wood is purdy tough, an get harder to hit the more ya shoot...If I remember right :idunno: , on the 4 man team thing we each took 5 or 6 shots each before another team got thru theirs..course thats hurryin...but them slivers is still tough!!an we had couple rules,,1 was the board was marked by 2 lines in the middle bout a foot apart, that was the "target area" an ya couldn't shoot at the top of the board to try to "tip" it over or snap it off..but dang what a blast! usedto do it at the lancaster longrifles shoot in pa,, had 8 teams(I think) an it was done same day as the chiken bar-b-q...had a big crowd around fer it too,, not sure if they still do it at muddy run or not...send yer score in,,
I'd give ya points fer shootin in this cold!!

Dang! Eighteen degrees at the range the other day was balmy compared to what you are shootin' in. Must be the southern lattitude in PA.
Pete

:haha: BBoy that last sliver is a [strike]*****[/strike] :redface: hard to hit.,huh.. :rotf:

32???????????? caliber??? :shocked2: boy you must have alotta ba***! :rotf:

RC said:
:haha: BBoy that last sliver is a [strike]*****[/strike] :redface: hard to hit.,huh.. :rotf:

Let me tell ya....that's were I shot most of the lead :shake:

" 32???????????? caliber??? boy you must have alotta ba***! "

Oh yea :rotf:

Skinner that's the way to go-using a bucket -you get more roundball action through the wood..Nice shooting! Looks like it was perfect weather shooting . I'm using the 56 smooth bore next...Good luck with the 32 that sounds like fun!...My target was easier to hit when it looked like the "TERMITE!" :blah:

Well, not sure how many shots a .32 would take. :grin: I just shot my first one yesterday with a .50 T/C Hawken, and it took a lot more shots then I figured it would. :hmm: Maybe I just missed the board too many times. :grin: Anyway I need to PT Jethro with the grand total. :( Is ther going to be different classes by caliber, type of gun (smoothie, flint, cap, etc.). Have to ask Jethro. :thumbsup:

Take care, see ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Is ther going to be different classes by caliber, type of gun (smoothie, flint, cap, etc.). Have to ask Jethro.

It kinda depends on how many entries and what kind of guns get shot. There might be rifle, pistol, smoothbore, large bore, and small bore classes... if I get entries... :idunno: Shoot whatever you feel like shootin' and send me the results. I'll sort 'em out at the end. :thumbsup:

Jim.. this post shoot is a lead-eater- I too was surprised at the number of shots taken..we are all in the same boat..I am not sure that a larger ball is any better - or was it because my 2X4's were injected with contact cement? :rotf: My oldest son(home on collage break) and I will be shooting it together today.( finally pinned him down) Just keep on shooting -it's a blast. Dan

Well I did finally get mine cut in two, but it took more shots than I figured. :surrender: Jethro says different guns :hmm: so maybe I should take out the Ruger Old Army. Probably take me 50 shots to cut a board with that. :thumbsup:

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

First shot, just left of center. Another two or three well placed shots...game over, right? :wink:
th_IMG_0750-1.jpg

Back