• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

July Postal Match

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit all around the 10 ring. Just couldn’t get one in. Shaky hold. Good fun though. 20 pts.
Thank you Gary.
CB1DCA26-C9EB-4B12-B2B7-FE9FDCAECF1C.jpeg

Shot the July target yesterday. Still trying to figure out how to tighten the groups both offhand and bench rest. I had a great time shooting though. Gary thanks a bunch for keeping this going.

Attachments

• July23ShootOffHand.jpg
    July23ShootOffHand.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • July23ShootBench.jpg
    July23ShootBench.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • KiblerColonial-bag-horn (2).jpg
    KiblerColonial-bag-horn (2).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
25 points.
Off hand
Northwest Trade Gun smoothbore flintlock
.600 RB self cast
55 grains of 3F
Pillow tick patch
This was my 3rd try this month. I shot my T/C Hawken .50 flintlock but couldn't score higher then 20.
Today was steamy hot in Indiana. Got out early to the range and finished by 10 a.m.
021.jpg

25 points.
Off hand
Northwest Trade Gun smoothbore flintlock
.600 RB self cast
55 grains of 3F
Pillow tick patch
This was my 3rd try this month. I shot my T/C Hawken .50 flintlock but couldn't score higher then 20.
Today was steamy hot in Indiana. Got out early to the range and finished by 10 a.m.
View attachment 239535
Thanks for posting!

after 2 cataract surgeries I still see 2 rear sights doesn't matter which eye i use the what i see is the same, and both eyes open its like looking through a binocular that hasn't been adjusted properly. so for better or worse here's what i shot don't know if i'll try again this weekend

Attachments

• DSC04030.JPG
    DSC04030.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
after 2 cataract surgeries I still see 2 rear sights doesn't matter which eye i use the what i see is the same, and both eyes open its like looking through a binocular that hasn't been adjusted properly. so for better or worse here's what i shot don't know if i'll try again this weekend
Thanks for posting - hope that your eyes settle down after a while. When I had my cataract surgeries it took 6 months for things to get back to normal.

My eyes were better immediately after the surgery.1
My eyes were better too - didn't even need reading glasses. But after a while I needed glasses for reading small print. Overall it was and is a great experience - just saying that I have heard from my doctor that it sometimes takes 6-12 months for everything to settle down.

Went to the range this morning with a small group of friends to shoot the July Ice Cream target. Attached is my target - I was on the fence whether to score it as a 45 or a 40, but figured I would settle for the 40. First time I have had the Kibler SMR out in a while and I was happy with the performance considering the hot, sticky weather today!

Have to figure out a target now for August - it is so hot and humid out there now, maybe a cool target would be good:thumb:

Attachments

• July 2023 Completed Target.jpg
    July 2023 Completed Target.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 0
I tried it this month with my old Lyman Great Plains rifle. I have owned this gun for over 30 years and the barrel has been losing the accuracy it once had. The muzzle was slightly ovaled from using a wooden ramrod when I was younger. I solved that issue by having the muzzle reamed out for 1 1/2 inches. This was probably a mistake as the accuracy went further south. The last time I fired the gun was over 8 years ago and I killed a deer with it.

A few weeks ago GaryPL ran into a club member that had a new roundball barrel for a Lyman Great Plains. The price was good so I bought it. Today I dropped the new barrel in my stock and took it to the range with Gary. It took me 6 shots to get it fairly well sighted in. It was miserably hot here in Georgia today and we shot our targets and went to find somewhere cooler. Not too bad for the first time with the new barrel.

Attachments

• July postal target.jpg
    July postal target.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
I tried it this month with my old Lyman Great Plains rifle. I have owned this gun for over 30 years and the barrel has been losing the accuracy it once had. The muzzle was slightly ovaled from using a wooden ramrod when I was younger. I solved that issue by having the muzzle reamed out for 1 1/2 inches. This was probably a mistake as the accuracy went further south. The last time I fired the gun was over 8 years ago and I killed a deer with it.

A few weeks ago GaryPL ran into a club member that had a new roundball barrel for a Lyman Great Plains. The price was good so I bought it. Today I dropped the new barrel in my stock and took it to the range with Gary. It took me 6 shots to get it fairly well sighted in. It was miserably hot here in Georgia today and we shot our targets and went to find somewhere cooler. Not too bad for the first time with the new barrel.
Thanks Kerry!

Everyone knows that July 4 is the big holiday in July, but we are celebrating a lesser known holiday month - July is National Ice Cream Month!

Shoot your rifle at 25 yds and pistol at 15 yds. You can shoot offhand or shoot from a rest - just mark your target which way you shot (OH or Rest).

5 shots - 10 pts for hits in the center bull, 5 pts for anywhere in the ice cream scoop and 3 pts for the cone for a maximum of 50 pts. One half of the ball must be in the scoring ring to count. Please score your own targets and mark your score on the target along with the load data. Pictures of your firearms are always nice!

Shoot as many times as you want and post your best target. If you shoot a reentry you can post another target but I will only score the best target.

This is all for fun so don't be reluctant to post your targets - it's all about friendly competition and the more you compete the better you will get!

Have fun and stay safe.

Gary
Just getting my 30 year old flintlock regulated. The "frizzen" had to be surface hardened. The touch hole had to be raised almost 3/8 ". I have not shot it since repaired. Weather here in 90 to 100 degree range. I have to travel 25 miles to the target range in Cecil County, MD.. When do the targets need to be "sent in"? Joined Muzzleloading Forum not long ago. I have already LEARNED much to my education about ML. I have been a "reenactor" when it was acceptable to wear synthetic uniforms. I don't get out to reenact much anymore.

Latest posts

Back