• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Postage-free Postal Post Shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Skunkskinner has been itchin' to split some kindlin' wood for some time now, and I thought it sounded like fun, so we're gonna do an online post shoot. :thumbsup:

Here's the rules;

It's mighty cold and nasty out in most parts, and you'll hafta round up a post, so I'm going to allow lots of time for this contest. Hopefully you'll get a half-way warm day to go shootin'. This contest will run until March 31st, 11:59pm Central time.

The target is a standard lumber-yard pine 2X4.

The target 2X4 may be planted in the ground with no more than 4 feet above ground level. Or, if your ground is frozen, you may lean a 4-foot 2X4 up against something, like your brother-in-law's truck :idunno: (just kiddin' :slap: ) , to hold it up. Be creative, just have 4 feet of 2X4 showing to shoot at.

Distance is 25 yards.

Offhand.

Any traditional muzzleloading firearm firing a single projectile.(No cannons)

Any sights.

The object is to shoot the 2X4 in two with the least number of shots. Count your shots as you try to chop down the "post" with your muzzleloader. Count shots fired, not just the hits, the misses too.

Don't mail the post! Send me a PT before the end of March. No postage due. :wink: Tell me the number of shots it took to cut down your post and what gun/load you used to do it with. I'll split 'em up according to categories depending on who shoots what and post the results at the end of the contest.

You may enter more than one gun with a separate post for each.

Have fun! Shoot safe! :hatsoff:

Jethro224 said:
Well yeah, it's gotta be vertical. :youcrazy: :haha:

thinkin he meant duz ya shoot at the 4 or the 2,,, :wink:

this dimensional lumber?? an actual 2x4?

:hmm: horizontal would be cool, nailed tween trees...................lessen ya wanna come up here to n.y. an dig me a whole....not sure a barn or a truck would hold it,,............or jus nail a 4ft. to a tree an shoot the bottom off,,,,

okay, :redface: I'll be quite now... :blah:
:hmm: this may be a 2......or 3 day event! lots of shootin!

thinkin he meant duz ya shoot at the 4 or the 2,,,

That's what I thought at first. Then I realized it was GW. He can't hit the 2"... :rotf:

this dimensional lumber?? an actual 2x4?

This is whatever passes for 2"x4" at the lumber yard. :thumbsup:

....or jus nail a 4ft. to a tree an shoot the bottom off,,,,

That'd work.

Yee haa !!! :thumbsup:

I'm glad you gave us till the end of march, it's going to take that long just to find my wood shop so I can get the 2X4.

OH BOY! Something else to shoot with one of my .62 caliber rifles! I have a .677 barrel coming before March so this could get intense!

:wink:

Sounds like Jethro has come up with another intereting match. Nice thing, no postage or anything. Wonder if you had not said anything how many cut up 2x4's you would have gotten in the mail??? :grin: Never tried to do this. Don't have anything bigger than a .50 hawken. Guess that's what I'll use. Them guys with .67 or .74's should be able to cut one in about 3 or 4 shots. Be interesting to see what everyone uses with how much powder. :thumbsup:

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

I know this may sound kinda dumd but from vids i've seen on utube of post shoots i could not tell. can we put an aiming spot on the 2x4 and if so can i make it with my chain saw. :idunno:

longbow-hunter said:
I know this may sound kinda dumd but from vids i've seen on utube of post shoots i could not tell. can we put an aiming spot on the 2x4 and if so can i make it with my chain saw. :idunno:

No ya can't make an aim spot with yer chain saw! :slap: :nono:
:haha:

A knot makes a good aim spot. So does the first bullet hole. If you want to paint or draw an aim spot on your post, it's OK with me.

Hello from Germany!

I want to take part! Question about these pine peace 2x4 is 2"bright and 4" long or high? :confused:

Unfortunately we have no pines over there only fir-trees or beeches. So what should I take? Or can someone send me a piece of pine from the USA :rotf:

I guess the bigger the cal the more less shots are needed :hmm:

Regards

Kirrmeister

....or jus nail a 4ft. to a tree an shoot the bottom off,,,,

That'd work.

:cursing: Evidently NOT! :cursing: SO Damn cold the nail bent cause the trees froze! an lost the first 2x4 when I tried to stand it in the snow....where it went? I don't know! :shocked2:
dang :confused: gonna have ta get a 2x4x16...or a hand powered drill,,,(batteries would freeze in portable!)an drill in the tree...need a diamond tipped drill I'll bet :( well....off to the jewelry store..... :idunno: :shocked2:

Kirr,

2X4s aren't pine but Douglas Fir. I'm assuming that they are a common building material in GE the same as here. They are called 2 by 4s but now are actually only 1.5in X 3.5in and come in various lengths, usually about 8 feet.

You should be able to find them in the German equivalent to Home Depot. :grin: GW

Last edited by a moderator:
if I remember right... :idunno: think they're stamped "SPF" meaning spruce-pine or fir...we noticed that when we was buildin a deck outa roughcutHEMLOCK! :cursing: that's why it's not stamped SPFH! :rotf:
been a part of a "stake shoot" before...4 person team,done by time,......wanna see heatwaves comin off a smoothie?? :rotf: :rotf: amazing how many shots a 2x4 can take.. :wink: :rotf:

Grey Whiskers said:
Kirr,

2X4s aren't pine but Douglas Fir. I'm assuming that they are a common building material in GE the same as here. They are called 2 by 4s but now are actually only 1.5in X 3.5in and come in various lengths, usually about 8 feet.

You should be able to find them in the German equivalent to Home Depot. :grin: GW

Oh I understand. It is kind of wood you use for building small huts or roofs, right? In german it is called "Balken".

Regards

Kirrmeister

Last edited by a moderator:
Back