• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Check your CCI caps before you buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I remember reading some posts from guys that got caps that were discolored or corroded or failed to fire. Looks like it's still an ongoing issue. I checked mine from walmart and they look good. Just passing the info. along. Maybe CCI will contact Ethan and get some more information.

*As always not in book form or stone tablets, so Youtube is all I got.

How is someone supposed to check inside a sealed package before buying?
None of mine were "sealed" , just popped the plastic shell open and open the tin.
CCI-11-Magnum-Percussion-Caps--600x600.jpeg

The photo of #11 caps i attached was bought in the local Wal Mart in August along with another can.

i have thousands of Remington #11 caps that don't fit my cappers. The CCI caps were purchased because they do fit my cappers.

My caps don't look like Ethans. Fired about 50 of those new CCI caps with no misfires or hang fires.

Attachments

• DSC02719.JPG
    DSC02719.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
If I’m finding them at Walmart for $5-$6 a tin I’ll take my chances. So far the ones I’ve used are fine. My luck if I tried to open a pack in the store, I’d drop the whole thing on the floor and spend an hour picking up caps.
Or they'd see you on camera and accuse you of trying to steal them!

Speaking of dropping caps, I once had a new open tin (Qty. 250) of RWS1075 caps on the bench during a windy match and the whole thing blew off and they went everywhere lol I spent about 15 minutes trying to get as many as I could off the ground in the middle of a match.

Crappy Caps Incorporated puts out junk. All of the stories about cap after cap not firing are true.

The people who relentlessly defend CCI are terrified that CCI will stop making caps. But this would be the best thing to happen.

Or at least shut down the CCI line until they find a way to have well under a 1% failure rate.

And if CCI can't or worse won't fix the reliability issues, then we should all welcome them stopping production. Then capitalism will take root and some other company, that cares about quality and their customers, will start producing quality caps.

Last edited:
If I’m finding them at Walmart for $5-$6 a tin I’ll take my chances. So far the ones I’ve used are fine. My luck if I tried to open a pack in the store, I’d drop the whole thing on the floor and spend an hour picking up caps.
If I spilled a tin of caps I would follow my father's advice if I should come across a mean bear in the woods and move out smartly....

I had a couple packs of CCI caps that came in wood racks. they were probably older than half of the guys that post here. not one ftf out of a couple hundred. if memory serves me right, i have never had a CCI cap fail to go off.
last week I pulled one out of a tin and noticed that it looked like there was no prime in the cup. showed it to the young guy shooting with me that has good eyeballs still. he confirmed that it looked empty, maybe just a smear of something right in the curve of the cup.
just for S&G's i used it. it fired.
seems fashionable these days to bad mouth manufacturers, no matter the genre. YMMV

I have had a few recently that looked like they had no primers in them. They popped, but no boom. I was like.. hmm that’s odd and thought nothing of it. These were bought late last year and early this year. I’ll have to look at them a little further. Back to my story. I primed another one and pop.. boom! That’s what I wanted. Hopefully, this too shall pass..

Anthony

It looks like the label on the tin has changed. The tin pictured in post #1 looks like a cartoon label. Is that the current or new production label? The tin shown in post #3 looks more like the last ones I bought, several years ago.

I haven’t seen any for sale in my area. I’m always on the lookout, but I’m actually doing okay for caps right now, with some old CCI‘s, some really old Alcans, a few tins of Remingtons, and a sleeve of RWS 1075’s I bought between shortages a few years ago. Also enough musket caps to keep me shooting a little longer, including a near-full tin of the old Navy Arms musket caps. I‘m still waiting for Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers, though. I took an interest in blackpowder cartridge shooting at exactly the wrong time!

I was just reading about the epic battle of the Little Bighorn. One of the cavalry officers who was interviewed after the battle, maybe Godfrey, mentioned how the Indians would reload cartridge cases that were considered unreloadable. These were the internally primed center fire cases. The Indians would open a hole in the base and force-fit a percussion cap in it, then fill it with powder and push in a bullet. In his memoir, J. P. Lower of Denver described how his Ute Indian customers did something similar. You can’t help but admire their inventiveness.

Sorry about rambling. Stream of consciousness in the geriatric brain, y’know.

Notchy Bob

New stock or old stock look at the packaging. CCI has changed again.
I have caps that are a decade plus in age.
Have caps from estate sale still in the cappers different flavors all fire.

Since I can't see the bad caps it's hard to judge a product base on a video or a new buttskinners experience.

I have shot percussion rifle and shotguns since 1963. Back in the 60’s Remington caps used to lose the primer discs from the caps quite often. the newer caps are probably better. I use whatever caps are available locally . I have had no problem with any other caps, cci, or others if I do my part and clean the rifle properly.

Crappy Caps Incorporated puts out junk. All of the stories about cap after cap not firing are true.

The people who relentlessly defend CCI are terrified that CCI will stop making caps. But this would be the best thing to happen.

Or at least shut down the CCI line until they find a way to have well under a 1% failure rate.

And if CCI can't or worse won't fix the reliability issues, then we should all welcome them stopping production. Then capitalism will take root and some other company, that cares about quality and their customers, will start producing quality caps.

Horse Hocky.

I've been using CCI caps for decades. I cannot recall a single misfire due to the cap. Misfires due to a mushroomed nipple, yes. Misfires due to operator error, yes. We are not talking about Remingtons where you open a new tin and the priming compound has fallen out of the caps. THOSE are crappy caps!

Back