• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Number 11 cap shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to take them to my smith to have them bored out to about .035. I don't have the set up to drill that small of a hole.
.032 will work.
Here's a tip;
When ya drop the charge, slap the side of the rifle near the breech,, that helps settle the charge into the flash channel.
Then, T7 needs to be compressed. Ya don't have to hammer it, ya don't have to "slam" the rod,, but when the PRB or conical is sent down to the bottom,, press on that rod.
How hard to press? Well ya got a bathroom scale?
Put the butt of your gun on the scale and load it, press the rod, until ya see 65-70lbs on the scale,, don't press the rifle,, press the rod on the load,
Then do that every time, it's that simple.

Last edited:
Too et all;
The 10 pages of this topic is sad, all this sniveling and blame about government and corporate not giving us what we want,
Waa.Waa.waa.
We can't do it because,,,(waa,)
Well that's the problem,, all the crier's forgot how to be an American.
We as a culture have forgotten how to not be served everything on a silver platter, everything at your convenience,, without that they're lost,,
Sad.

.32 will work.
Here's a tip;
When ya drop the charge, slap the side of the rifle near the breech,, that helps settle the charge into the flash channel.
Then, T7 needs to be compressed. Ya don't have to hammer it, ya don't have to "slam" the rod,, but when the PRB or conical is sent down to the bottom,, press on that rod.
Put the butt of your gun on the scale and load it, press the rod, until ya see 65-70lbs on the scale,, don't press the rifle,, press the rod on the load,
I like the scale idea, I don't shoot T7 but should make for consistent loading with BP too.

Too et all;
The 10 pages of this topic is sad, all this sniveling and blame about government and corporate not giving us what we want,
Waa.Waa.waa.
We as a culture have forgotten how to not be served everything on a silver platter, everything at your convenience,, without that they're lost,,
Sad.
What's the old saying, "we are only 7 meals away from total anarchy" or something like that. Today it's more like 2 meals o_O

I like the scale idea, I don't shoot T7 but should make for consistent loading with BP too.
I learned that by accident.
I was tryin to teach a local feller, when we got to the compression part he kept asking how much,, long story short, he brought out a the scale and I just loaded so only he could see the scale,, turns out my pressing was in that range. Your right, it is about consistency.
He was a good student, I learned from him.

Update: So those who are interested knows they're legit.

Just received the CCI #11 caps I ordered on 7 JAN, from Kentucky Gun Co., via UPS just a few minutes ago. $10.99 per hundred, no additional hazmat fee was charged. Also, just checked their webpage and they're still advertising them at the same price in stock with a flat rate shipping of $11.99.
View attachment 190142
Thanks for the info, just placed an order.

Too et all;
Waa.Waa.waa.
Sad.
So who is sniveling? I think people are just in utter amazement of the lack of caps and would like to know why. Everyone is not wanting them on a "silver platter" they will have to buy them with their hard earned cash at whatever price they are gouging us for.

So who is sniveling? I think people are just in utter amazement of the lack of caps and would like to know why. Everyone is not wanting them on a "silver platter" they will have to buy them with their hard earned cash at whatever price they are gouging us for.
It cracks me up when I hear the term "gouging" when everything has increased in price. Yesterday at Sam's, a two pack (18) of Grade A Large Eggs was $13.44 (.37 ea.); a gallon of milk $3.97; and a loaf of Nutra-Grain Wheat Bread was almost $3.00 per loaf. Everything has increased dramatically over what it was two years ago. Gas has come down quite a bit, but diesel is still over $4.50 per gallon. What gets me is, some will spend $1,000 to $2,000 for a rifle and then gripe about how much it cost to feed it. A year ago, I was paying $7.50 for a 50 lb bag of 10% sweet feed and today that same bag of feed is $12.50. Just glad I thinned the herd to half what I was feeding. I won't even mention what the cost of alfalfa or grass hay is.

So when CCI's suggested retail price for caps is $10.99 per hundred, and I can buy them from KY Gun Co at that price with a no hazmat special and flat rate shipping, I'm a happy camper.

Just converted my TC Hawken today to Musket nipple.
May I ask where you bought the Musket Nipple at?
I assume this is for the 4 wing Musket Caps, right?

Sorry if it seems a bit lame of a question but when
your new that's the way it goes!

Just received the CCI #11 caps I ordered on 7 JAN, from Kentucky Gun Co., via UPS just a few minutes ago. $10.99 per hundred, no additional hazmat fee was charged. Also, just checked their webpage and they're still advertising them at the same price in stock with a flat rate shipping of $11.99.
View attachment 190142

View attachment 190142
So I wonder how they are able to sidestep the HazMat fee, if they use UPS?

It cracks me up when I hear the term "gouging" when everything has increased in price. Yesterday at Sam's, a two pack (18) of Grade A Large Eggs was $13.44 (.37 ea.); a gallon of milk $3.97; and a loaf of Nutra-Grain Wheat Bread was almost $3.00 per loaf. Everything has increased dramatically over what it was two years ago. Gas has come down quite a bit, but diesel is still over $4.50 per gallon. What gets me is, some will spend $1,000 to $2,000 for a rifle and then gripe about how much it cost to feed it. A year ago, I was paying $7.50 for a 50 lb bag of 10% sweet feed and today that same bag of feed is $12.50. Just glad I thinned the herd to half what I was feeding. I won't even mention what the cost of alfalfa or grass hay is.

So when CCI's suggested retail price for caps is $10.99 per hundred, and I can buy them from KY Gun Co at that price with a no hazmat special and flat rate shipping, I'm a happy camper.
You have to look who is setting the prices and then you can determine if it's "gouging" or not. Kentucky Gun Co is not gouging as most of the smaller shops around are not. When you see them for twice that or 3 times that you know there is something going on.

The initial price could be considered the main gouge as that is set by whatever the manufacturer, which in this case (almost all cases where prices have went up) controls the WHOLE MARKET.

Yeah feed prices are crazy! Sounds like you are a bit more self sufficient like we are. We don't hardly ever go to the grocery store and if we do it's to buy stuff we really don't need! We are on the dry, windy prairie so we thinned down to goats and sheep.

Besides some parts, pieces, and materials to run my farm and business I personally require reloading/shooting components and that is it! If I slimmed down to just black powder really all I would have trouble with is refining sulfur and potassium nitrate.

.32 will work.
Here's a tip;
Hi necchi, check your math. .32 would be close to 5/16". Bigger than the female threaded opening for the nipple. Also, remind those using a "bathroom scale" to deduct the weight of their rifle if they want a precise weight in pressure. And if their rod is sticking half way out their barrel from a tight ball, no problem if the pressure on the scale is correct. Out here in Podunk we are not familiar w those scale gadgets. Unfortunately, the solutions you have offered here, while probably helpful to many, have nothing to do w the issues I raised in my post. I will fill-in some gaps that I intentionally left out in order to not completely hijack the thread. That train has already left the station.
I have slapped the powder into the drum-every time. [TC Hawken rifle] I noted an issue w the TC Hot Shot nipples. Others have posted similar issues including different flash hole diameters and the vents releasing enough gas to obliterate the cap. Upon removing those nipples, t-7 2f could be seen in the drum up to the bottom of the nipple threads. Repeated attempts produced no ignition. [As mentioned, these nipples have considerably smaller flash holes than the stock TC nipple, plus vents.] I replaced the stock nipple to fire the same load, and-Bang-every time. The other ignition problem I encountered w this same rifle was caused by my dragging crud into the drum port with my between-shot swipes. This was plugging the entrance which was demonstrated by a visibly empty drum when I removed the nipple. After filling the drum w my flask and firing-Bang. Every single time. A wise sage on this forum advised to not swipe all the way to the drum between shots, but to stop short. And indeed, he is correct. Interestingly, I have now purchased a Traditions Hawken and checked the distance to the drum w the jag installed and the jag is mechanically constricted before it can reach the drum opening. Not sure if this is intentional design, but it has completely prevented the plugging I was experiencing w the TC rifle-every single time. And this gets to the heart of a common error made in giving advice here-universalizing solutions one has found for his particular rifle to all rifles out there and waxing dogmatic about it. I have only dealt w 2 and don't have to imagine how many different problem/solution scenarios exist out in ML land. The arguments are right here on the forum and they are most often absurd because the disputants are talking past each other. Different rifles/different solutions. Best advice I've read from many, [after those obvious safety rules that apply to all firearms] "you will have to try it in your particular rifle". It is that simple.
I don't think anyone here was "whining" about shortages, but mostly noticing the corruption of the country our ancestors gave us by a pernicious elite hell bent on taking every chance they can muster to remind us that we have lost our country. If you choose to close your eyes and ears to this, that is your choice. But please don't whine about those of us who notice. These phony shortages are but one example. Speaking for myself, I have been a self employed carpenter for 40 years and during that time have found the federal government [And most state govts for that matter] to be nothing but a hindrance to myself, family and friends. I want nothing from it or its corporate cronies other than to get out of our way and to quit voting themselves preferments. [aka lobbying to crush competition] I love my country. The government, not so much. There is a difference. Refuse to learn that at your own peril. If I were to do any "whining" at all, it might be about what federal influence in education has done to math and reading comprehension. Maybe work on the condescending, homespun tone a bit too. Could work wonders. My apologies to all who just want to find some damn #11 caps. I did try to help w that. SW

Hi necchi, check your math. .32 would be close to 5/16".
Oop's thanks for the check,, .032
I made the fix.
I've been using T7 for well over a decade in T/C's, Investarms and Traditions. I prefer Knights Red Hot nipple with RWS caps and/or CCI mags a close 2nd.
I wipe after every shot with every gun, the troublesome guns seem to be the Traditions, but only after 20-25 shots and on humid days.
Unless, any of them have a crud build-up in the fire channel from having left over storage/packing oils left when shooting,, that can be a dickens with any gun.
There are methods to clean that,, and once cleared care is taken to assure the fire channel is clean and dry of all oils.
So, uhm,, Good luck,, you seem to know what your trouble is and how your going to deal with it.

Last edited:
@necchi said "He was a good student, I learned from him."

How true! The best teachers of a craft always have that one student that actually teaches them!

Oop's thanks for the check,, .032
I made the fix.
I've been using T7 for well over a decade in T/C's, Investarms and Traditions. I prefer Knights Red Hot nipple with RWS caps and/or CCI mags a close 2nd.
I wipe after every shot with every gun, the troublesome guns seem to be the Traditions, but only after 20-25 shots and on humid days.
Unless, any of them have a crud build-up in the fire channel from having left over storage/packing oils left when shooting,, that can be a dickens with any gun.
There are methods to clean that,, and once cleared care is taken to assure the fire channel is clean and dry of all oils.
So, uhm,, Good luck,, you seem to know what your trouble is and how your going to deal with it.
Thanks Necchi, good info. And don't get me wrong. I have a lot to learn here and have, often randomly, found the exact solution to a problem from folks just like yourself. If the Hot Shots fare no better after a rebore, I will try the K Red Hots. I only purchased them in the 1st place so my son in law would have some spares and they were advertised as the be all, end all nipple. That is my novice showing through. Curious as to what you think of those vents in the Hot Shots. Thanks SW

In an earlier post, I talked about finding percussion caps at auctions. These are the caps that are currently in my shooting box.
5EA9DC7D-1851-4F40-9941-29F418F95BA5.jpeg

The problem I see with the 209 set ups is that they are too high.

Sometimes it puts the nipple/hammer angle out of alignment.

And the taller the 209 system is, the less the hammer gets to travel. Less travel means the hammer is no longer picking up speed. Less speed means less force applied to the primer.
My primers do not need more speed there was some complaining that they were so (vigorous) that they might/maybe/could move your projectile off the charge prematurely an maybe you'd ring your barrel! And I'm still waiting many years later .Any alignment issues are minor in the daily life of a percussion rifle , and each time a simple solution . Even happens when I install a Leupold on a Renegade ' almost always the gun finds the deer and kills it even when I'm in attendance (makes me proud ) and sure of dinner ?Ed

I still say look at the cost of a cap. $12 for a tin of 100 is 12 cents each. That is only 12 cents per shot. So if a patch costs say 4 cents and the ball costs around 15 cents and powder (70 grains of 2f) is around 25 cents a shot. That adds up to about 56 cents a shot (just using average retail costs for components). About the current cost of one .45 ACP or 1 1/2 to two 9mm's let alone what you pay for the bigger calibers in pistol or rifle You can strip 15 rounds out of a 9mm pretty fast. How long to fire 15 shots from a single shot muzzle loader. 15 shots from a front stuffer spreads the fun out over a lot longer time span. If shooting muzzle loading pistols it is much cheaper than the rifles by 50% or more. So the 12 cents for a cap really doesn't amount to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back