• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antiqued 1858 Pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As mom used to say, “To each his own.”

I just don’t get it. To me that would be like buying a new car and slapping it with a chain here and there to give it that “well used” look.

But if you like, that’s all that matters!
Understandable! I know a lot of folks may not like doing this to their guns, but I figured I didn't break the bank with this gun, and if it didn't turn out then it wouldn't be the end of the world. This may be the only one I'd do this to, though. My rifle is aged naturally and doesn't need this...

As mom used to say, “To each his own.”

I just don’t get it. To me that would be like buying a new car and slapping it with a chain here and there to give it that “well used” look.

But if you like, that’s all that matters!
Understandable! I know a lot of folks may not like doing this to their guns, but I figured I didn't break the bank with this gun, and if it didn't turn out then it wouldn't be the end of the world. This may be the only one I'd do this to, though. My rifle is aged naturally and doesn't need this
View attachment 315235
Soaked in white vinegar for roughly 15 minutes lightly buff with 1000 sanding sponge and hit with some ballistol.
Really simple and easy to strip the blue and the "case hardened" colors as well.
😆
Wow that was much shorter than mine, don't know how I really even took 2 hours to do it....next time if I do it again, I'll follow this but with steel wool. Didn't have any available atm so I couldn't do that step.

I did this to my Remington Sheriff’s model I bought in 2021. I like worn patina look so I mixed cold blue and water and wiped it on and immediately wiped it off a few times. Did the same thing with Laurel mountain forge browning solution. Then rinsed and wiped it down with ballistol. I stripped it in vinegar like everyone else is doing also.

Attachments

• 72108475498__8DD1A5BC-50DB-4F41-808E-866109DD5FA6.jpeg
    72108475498__8DD1A5BC-50DB-4F41-808E-866109DD5FA6.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 72108478578__85D31F00-32C6-4255-9773-6F13486CCBAB.jpeg
    72108478578__85D31F00-32C6-4255-9773-6F13486CCBAB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Did this project in about 2 hours, lots of vinegar, scorching water and ballistol. I'm happy with the end product. The matching cylinder isn't finished yet, but this spare will work for now (yes it's loaded, was for range today but it poured rain all day). I'm happy with the end product, and I hope someone out there likes it too. I know some may say nay to doing this, but i treated the metal properly so it shouldn't rust any further, and i always clean after range day. Comparing with the Taylors Antique version. Saved a buck, too. Yakoke and have a great day, folks!
I like it. Came out great!

I did this to my Remington Sheriff’s model I bought in 2021. I like worn patina look so I mixed cold blue and water and wiped it on and immediately wiped it off a few times. Did the same thing with Laurel mountain forge browning solution. Then rinsed and wiped it down with ballistol. I stripped it in vinegar like everyone else is doing also.
Very nice! I might get the Ace in the future, and might try it on that one

Very nice! I might get the Ace in the future, and might try it on that one
The Ace is cool, but I wanted the barrel a bit longer and the rounded grip frame. You could round the grip frame on the Ace also if you choose to. You can remove the loading lever and purchase a lever that locks the cylinder pin in place. I believe some of the unmentionable cylinder makers sell that product and possibly Taylor’s sell it also. I just chose to alter my loading lever, but if it didn’t work I was going to buy one. It’s the same piece as on the Ace by the way.

We all like different stuff and different looks. Aging is a thing that has caught on in the replicas arena. Me, I like to think I lived in the days the 1858 was popular and that mine represents a new one, without finish wear. The hard truth is the original revolvers were once new. A non replica and even the replicas were new at one time. I guess maybe the appeal for having guns look old matches a certain personna one wishes to portray. I think it does say, "My gun looks used because I've carried and used it against vermin and outlaws, but I trust it. Don't mess with me 'cause I've been around the block more than a few times. You won't see me with a gun that has a nice finish, cause that shows I've no experience and no sissy." Not making fun of artificial aging because I can clearly see why it is done.

We all like different stuff and different looks. Aging is a thing that has caught on in the replicas arena. Me, I like to think I lived in the days the 1858 was popular and that mine represents a new one, without finish wear. The hard truth is the original revolvers were once new. A non replica and even the replicas were new at one time. I guess maybe the appeal for having guns look old matches a certain personna one wishes to portray. I think it does say, "My gun looks used because I've carried and used it against vermin and outlaws, but I trust it. Don't mess with me 'cause I've been around the block more than a few times. You won't see me with a gun that has a nice finish, cause that shows I've no experience and no sissy." Not making fun of artificial aging because I can clearly see why it is done.
I just did mine because it's different and I didn't want my Pietta to really look like a dime-a-dozen revolver, not saying the original blued finish is bad, just looked plain to me. Also, I can pretend to myself i have an original remington, without paying the $$$ price for a original, haha. Was fun to do as well, makes the gun just a little more personal to me. I certainly won't do this with my others, but the 1858 really looks good with it. I'm sure the 1860 would too, however I don't own one yet.

I hear what you’re saying. I’m not an aging fanatic either, I just cut the barrel off and rounded the grip frame on my Remington, and I was either blueing the cut areas, or redoing the whole gun. So I decided to redo a different way and looked up ways to get an aged finish. It was about trying something new. My recent retirement has a lot to do with projects popping into my head! My other cap & ball weapons look brand new.

don't they still sell kit's? my Walker was in the white first gun i ever built and it looks like it was at Adobe wells. My son has a hawken that he put together back in the day that he left in the white and every time he gets done cleaning the bore he wipes the outside of the barrel with a patch soaked in dirty water after 20 years it's finally looking like it's been well used on the trail

View attachment 315235
Soaked in white vinegar for roughly 15 minutes lightly buff with 1000 sanding sponge and hit with some ballistol.
Really simple and easy to strip the blue and the "case hardened" colors as well.
😆
Very nice! I was just thinking I should do this to my 1849 because the faux case hardening is sub-par.

Actually shooting your guns will produce an aging appearance, too. Imagine. Takes longer than two hours though, but won’t look contrived. Then it could be called “honest wear” and would in fact be the real deal and look it.

Blackie Thomas, Black Powder Revolver Series, has a bunch of stuff on antiquing revolvers. It’s pretty OCD but looks to get the job done.

Well
Actually shooting your guns will produce an aging appearance, too. Imagine. Takes longer than two hours though, but won’t look contrived. Then it could be called “honest wear” and would in fact be the real deal and look it.

Blackie Thomas, Black Powder Revolver Series, has a bunch of stuff on antiquing revolvers. It’s pretty OCD but looks to get the job done.
I can only shoot once a week, weather dependent and work dependent too. I don't have the luxury of owning acres of land or a forest or anything of the sort. Like I said before, it's just a look and I like it. I don't really show off my stuff to people in real life as I'm an isolated individual with a small friend circle who aren't into this stuff, so it's not to brag or show off or anything. I shoot when I can, and that's not a whole lot. I only have this gun and a TC Renegade that's already well aged, but will continue to add to my collection. This was just a one time project, and future ones I'll get will age naturally. I probably won't be alive by the time they really look aged at the rate I go shooting, LOL.

Did this project in about 2 hours, lots of vinegar, scorching water and ballistol. I'm happy with the end product. The matching cylinder isn't finished yet, but this spare will work for now (yes it's loaded, was for range today but it poured rain all day). I'm happy with the end product, and I hope someone out there likes it too. I know some may say nay to doing this, but i treated the metal properly so it shouldn't rust any further, and i always clean after range day. Comparing with the Taylors Antique version. Saved a buck, too. Yakoke and have a great day, folks!
Pretty consistent color over the entire gun, and yes, similar to Taylor’s production offering. You may want to vary the finish a bit to show a more natural wear pattern. One way is to apply cold blue then rub it back to create that worn or used look. A vinegar soak just evenly removes the bluing. It’s a ‘new gun’ and you also have to beat it up a bit to get that true antique look. Otherwise it’s just a gun with the bluing removed that’s too pretty to look like an antique. For an example here is a photograph I have posted before of an unmolested original 1858 that I own. Notice the uneven wear. Try to find photographs of actual original guns and mimic those, not production faux antique examples like Taylor’s offers. All your gun needs is a little time with something like a piece of chain, a few loose nails and maybe time in the dirt getting roughed up. Get creative if you want a true antique look. Add some strategically placed cold bluing rubbed back to show natural wear and you will be on your way.
1615777320842.jpeg

Pretty consistent color over the entire gun, and yes, similar to Taylor’s production offering. You may want to vary the finish a bit to show a more natural wear pattern. One way is to apply cold blue then rub it back to create that worn or used look. A vinegar soak just evenly removes the bluing. It’s a ‘new gun’ and you also have to beat it up a bit to get that true antique look. Otherwise it’s just a gun with the bluing removed that’s too pretty to look like an antique. For an example here is a photograph I have posted before of an unmolested original 1858 that I own. Notice the uneven wear. Try to find photographs of actual original guns and mimic those, not production faux antique examples like Taylor’s offers. All your gun needs is a little time with something like a piece of chain, a few loose nails and maybe time in the dirt getting roughed up. Get creative if you want a true antique look. Add some strategically placed cold bluing rubbed back to show natural wear and you will be on your way.
1615777320842.jpeg
Thanks for the advice! As I mentioned in a previous comment, I can really only shoot once a week and dependant on the weather and work. I do try my best to go shooting, but things get in my way sometimes. My only other BP gun is my TC renegade which is actually naturally worn, and antique at this point (although that's mostly because of poor care by previous owner). If I do this to another future gun, it'll most likely be natural wear, although my guns will probably outlive me before I see that aged look the way things are going. But I will definitely try that cold blue technique in the future IF I try it again...

Back