• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Number 11 cap shortage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't had any problem finding #11 caps locally, but don't really need any now as I stocked up a while back. Not happy about the prices, but life is rough. Musket caps I haven't found anywhere locally in quite some while. Didn't like the price of those either, even back in the day.

The point though is if Sportsman's can sell them for $5.99 are we being held hostage by scalpers?

IMO: Definitely.

August of 2022 the local Academy store had #11 caps at $5.99. Then the price went to $15.99. Winchester 209 Triple Seven primers went from $7.99 to 16.99.

Wow, simply Wow.

Due to this thread, myself, as well as others, were able to stock up on caps. Those nice little things that has always been available to us, most everywhere we went, for low price, for most of our lives. We have also found there are alternatives.

I am thankful for that.
Agree. And has anyone wondered how it is that this one supplier has caps when almost no one else does ? I am not pointing any finger of suspicion at KYGUNCO at all. I'm as glad as hell they are out there. I have received 2, #11 cap orders from them and they have been a pleasure to deal with. But once again, like so many of these contrived 'shortages' something doesn't pass the smell test. My guess is that KYGUNCO saw this coming and purchased a few train cars of #11s. I did the same on a smaller scale for my center fire loading components before the last 'election'. They did not have #11 magnums either time I ordered. I was told it might be better to have them if using t7. Hasn't mattered in the least w my rifle. Not a single hang or misfire yet w standard cci#11s and it has been pretty cold here. SW

Agree. And has anyone wondered how it is that this one supplier has caps when almost no one else does ? I am not pointing any finger of suspicion at KYGUNCO at all. I'm as glad as hell they are out there. I have received 2, #11 cap orders from them and they have been a pleasure to deal with. But once again, like so many of these contrived 'shortages' something doesn't pass the smell test. My guess is that KYGUNCO saw this coming and purchased a few train cars of #11s. I did the same on a smaller scale for my center fire loading components before the last 'election'. They did not have #11 magnums either time I ordered. I was told it might be better to have them if using t7. Hasn't mattered in the least w my rifle. Not a single hang or misfire yet w standard cci#11s and it has been pretty cold here. SW
I dumped a half tin of "standard" CCI #11 into a half tin of Magnums just to not have to carry two cans to the range. And after using most of them up I saw no apparent difference in ignition

KYGUNCO probably got em for $2 a tin and sat on them until the time was right

I dumped a half tin of "standard" CCI #11 into a half tin of Magnums just to not have to carry two cans to the range. And after using most of them up I saw no apparent difference in ignition

KYGUNCO probably got em for $2 a tin and sat on them until the time was right
Well Stan, maybe they've been doing a placebo thing to us all along. In CF rifles, which I have much more experience with, it is amazing how many shooters have good success w standard primers in pretty big 'magnum' cartridges. I use the magnums when called for because they don't cost any more. Then there are the 'match' grade primers that do cost more , I have always been suspicious of that grift. Probably just a different color dye in the priming compound. I haven't been sucked in by 'match grade' percussion caps yet. As for KYGUNCO doing that, some wizard could probably look up their history of #11s in stock to find out if that is what they did. Wouldn't surprise me but the search is beyond my computer skill set. SW

I come to this dicussion kinda late but I only will say is that if you are a serious shooter buy whatever you can find to keep white smoke in the air for at least 10 years. It ain;t always available but persistence pats off. I bought 2000 caps 15 years ago and my family will probably split up what;s left when I'm worm food. That's much better than sitting home saying " Man, I wish i could shoot today but i got no caps, flint, powder, etc.). Even during the most recent powder shortage (I hear it 's getting better) I was able to scrounge up several pounds of 3f. good luck and i know it isn't easy.

Well Stan, maybe they've been doing a placebo thing to us all along. In CF rifles, which I have much more experience with, it is amazing how many shooters have good success w standard primers in pretty big 'magnum' cartridges. I use the magnums when called for because they don't cost any more. Then there are the 'match' grade primers that do cost more , I have always been suspicious of that grift. Probably just a different color dye in the priming compound. I haven't been sucked in by 'match grade' percussion caps yet. As for KYGUNCO doing that, some wizard could probably look up their history of #11s in stock to find out if that is what they did. Wouldn't surprise me but the search is beyond my computer skill set. SW
At this point in life, ammo is ammo and components are components 😀

It probably is Placebo effect....how much "hotter" can you make a #11 cap? Is there a magical , hotter compound ? Magnums and Standard caps are also the same price, you'd think the Magnums would cost more

To further muddy the waters, there are different lots of CCI caps that vary in size and also, the lot label on the package may not match the lot on the tin......it's about as confusing as it gets just trying to find some dam caps to go shooting......Track of the Wolf says "CCI Rev C do not fit our nipples as well as Rev A, B, and D " ok.....so my 1000 cap brick is all Rev C, great......I open up one blister pack and the tin says Rev D, despite the package saying Rev C....it makes my head hurt.

Winchester caps, if you can find any, are just rebranded CCI

Older Remington #11 caps are a different size than new Remington #11 and have some weird gold colored compound

It appears RWS discontinued the 1075's?

Trying to explain this all to the people I know who just picked up a Pietta Brasser at Cabelas and are all like "hey you're the old gun guy ....I bought a .44 cap and baller and the caps I bought don't fit" .....I'm like, ok, how much time you got , first we'll cover caps....

If I see percussion caps for a sane price, I buy em, standard CCI's light up powder just like Magnums

In fact, my local Dunham's had all the CCI "Magnums" picked over but has dozens of "standard" CCI #11's left on the peg board .

I didn't buy any more but picked up a can of 777, it works in revolvers and most of my rifles, why not

I used to overthink stuff, like what companies are gouging, why the caps I bought at Dunham's 2 years ago were 9.99 and these are 13.99.....but I'm just happy I can get what I need to go shoot at the range for an afternoon. If it costs a few bucks more whatever, it's a "luxury" item . Eggs are 5 bucks a dozen too

I come to this dicussion kinda late but I only will say is that if you are a serious shooter buy whatever you can find to keep white smoke in the air for at least 10 years. It ain;t always available but persistence pats off. I bought 2000 caps 15 years ago and my family will probably split up what;s left when I'm worm food. That's much better than sitting home saying " Man, I wish i could shoot today but i got no caps, flint, powder, etc.). Even during the most recent powder shortage (I hear it 's getting better) I was able to scrounge up several pounds of 3f. good luck and i know it isn't easy.
One man's lifetime supply may be another man's 6 Month supply 😀

I know people who are still on the same can of Goex they bought in 1996. I burned up an entire pound of 1F in 3 hours a few days ago along with 100 caps and 100 balls.

However , I have no life and I live 3 minutes from my gun club. So I go before work sometimes twice a week, and I rarely shoot cartridge ammo because it's just too expensive. So if I want to shoot I usually take my BP guns

It's why I don't understand all the gnashing of teeth.

#11 primers are a huge problem right now.

There is no musket primer problem right now.

Switch to musket primers and problem solved.
yes problem solved for a couple of months until people switch to musket caps there is a run on them and no more musket caps

I know people who are still on the same can of Goex they bought in 1996. I burned up an entire pound of 1F in 3 hours a few days ago along with 100 caps and 100 balls.

However , I have no life and I live 3 minutes from my gun club. So I go before work sometimes twice a week, and I rarely shoot cartridge ammo because it's just too expensive. So if I want to shoot I usually take my BP guns
Stan, I started cartridge reloading almost 30 years ago and it was pretty darn cheap. Still way cheaper for me now since I already have the equipment and loaded ammo can be up over $100 per 20. If I had to start from scratch now, forget it. As our elites realize that some of us would rather face down their m-16s w a ML than look at the bottom of their boot for all eternity, they will make muzzleloading prohibitively expensive as well for the 'deplorables'. In fact, they have already started. SW

shooting a 38 with a cast bullet and 3 grains of powder is cheaper then a ML

Stan, I started cartridge reloading almost 30 years ago and it was pretty darn cheap. Still way cheaper for me now since I already have the equipment and loaded ammo can be up over $100 per 20. If I had to start from scratch now, forget it. As our elites realize that some of us would rather face down their m-16s w a ML than look at the bottom of their boot for all eternity, they will make muzzleloading prohibitively expensive as well for the 'deplorables'. In fact, they have already started. SW
I have a 45-70 Lee Loader hand die, I just wanted to load blackpowder 45-70 rounds maybe 20 at a time to shoot my Trapdoor with the "right" ammo.....and by the time I source all the components, especially primers, it's not even worth it.....I might as well just roll paper cartridges and shoot my .58 rifle-muskets

Anything above .223, forget it as far as buying loaded ammo . I just took my AR out yesterday after shooting a .36 Navy , and ran exactly 30 rounds of 5.56 through it just to have some fun, and that's it. I took the remaining 70 rounds I had home , like , it's cold out and unless I can thoroughly enjoy them, I'm not blowing 40-50 bucks in ammo just to make noise

Just bought some .303 180's at Midway for $33 and something a box. By the time tax and shipping were added on the total came to $45 a box. Crazy. Thanks Libtards!

At this point in life, ammo is ammo and components are components 😀

It probably is Placebo effect....how much "hotter" can you make a #11 cap? Is there a magical , hotter compound ? Magnums and Standard caps are also the same price, you'd think the Magnums would cost more

To further muddy the waters, there are different lots of CCI caps that vary in size and also, the lot label on the package may not match the lot on the tin......it's about as confusing as it gets just trying to find some dam caps to go shooting......Track of the Wolf says "CCI Rev C do not fit our nipples as well as Rev A, B, and D " ok.....so my 1000 cap brick is all Rev C, great......I open up one blister pack and the tin says Rev D, despite the package saying Rev C....it makes my head hurt.

Winchester caps, if you can find any, are just rebranded CCI

Older Remington #11 caps are a different size than new Remington #11 and have some weird gold colored compound

It appears RWS discontinued the 1075's?

Trying to explain this all to the people I know who just picked up a Pietta Brasser at Cabelas and are all like "hey you're the old gun guy ....I bought a .44 cap and baller and the caps I bought don't fit" .....I'm like, ok, how much time you got , first we'll cover caps....

If I see percussion caps for a sane price, I buy em, standard CCI's light up powder just like Magnums

In fact, my local Dunham's had all the CCI "Magnums" picked over but has dozens of "standard" CCI #11's left on the peg board .

I didn't buy any more but picked up a can of 777, it works in revolvers and most of my rifles, why not

I used to overthink stuff, like what companies are gouging, why the caps I bought at Dunham's 2 years ago were 9.99 and these are 13.99.....but I'm just happy I can get what I need to go shoot at the range for an afternoon. If it costs a few bucks more whatever, it's a "luxury" item . Eggs are 5 bucks a dozen too
Holy cow! My head hurts just reading all this.

I agree. I bought way more powder than I thought I’d need just so I’d have some. Same with caps. Bought some and also got the DIY kit with supplies. Setting up an area on my property to make my own “Holy Black”. Extremely lucky that I know a pharmacist that has access to any chemicals I’d need and believes “cash is king”. Got several friends getting ready to take some old willow trees down for charcoal and another that lives in southern Indiana that has collected chert rocks for me to 99% trash to get a few flints from each one.

shooting a 38 with a cast bullet and 3 grains of powder is cheaper then a ML
Good point Temple Destroyer-Titegroup-but our masters have discovered the weak link- primers. And to tie this to ML...The Governor of MT recently said that primer production will soon be coming to MT. Hopefully that will include ML cap production. We need to network w CF cartridge people. Even if the disciplines are quite different, our overall interests intersect enough to make that useful. As we watch our country dissipate it must be admitted that the smokeless people will be necessary to take it back. If.... they can find any components. Some states are beginning to get this. SW

I'm not trying to violate Forum Rules, but trying to illustrate something funny I thought about today....

I just bought a Uberti 1851 Navy "Conversion " in .38 Special because I always thought they were cool.

People in the 1870s who relied on their guns had their percussion revolvers converted to take advantage of the leap in technology cartridges offered

Now....factory .38 is so expensive, I have .38 Special hand dies but can't get primers.......so I own the "improved " tech but I have way more access to percussion caps, black powder or subs , and lead balls plus it's more cost effective .......

Here it is , 2023 and I'm choosing to shoot percussion revolvers because it's easier to get ammunition for them vs hand loading cartridges .......it just seems funny to me.....I'm ready for a range day, I look at my new .38 conversion or any of my "unmentionable " revolvers like hmmmmmm......I have some ammo but...

20230121_184311.jpg

I have a bunch of caps, .375 balls and Black for this and it just makes more sense.....I'll go with the percussion technology today

16743676895284143909271758671649.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back