• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building ME a NW Trade Gun ! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any words of wisdom you have would help, I have done longrifles and plains rifles, but never a smoothie or a trade gun

any words of wisdom you have would help, I have done longrifles and plains rifles, but never a smoothie or a trade gun
Oh bud ...if you've made rifles before a trade gun will be no problem to you . Biggest thing ...always have centerlines on top and bottom throughout your build and watch them , keeping everything in line as possible . Once the barrel is down , that is your center ....everything must follow it as close as possible .

Back on my NW Fuke today ...HOPEFULLY have the lock in today ! That would be awesome ! ....but , we'll see ... Gonna be awesome to have two working trade guns at the same time ! Crazy good !! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230305_122755.jpg
    IMG_20230305_122755.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230305_130455.jpg
    IMG_20230305_130455.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Oh bud ...if you've made rifles before a trade gun will be no problem to you . Biggest thing ...always have centerlines on top and bottom throughout your build and watch them , keeping everything in line as possible . Once the barrel is down , that is your center ....everything must follow it as close as possible .
what about offset, is that a thing with smoothies? I go for 1/4" - 1/2" depending on the stock shape and cheek rest and wrist, but these guys have no cheek rest and no rear sight and I am unfamiliar with the wrist characteristics on a trade gun.

what about offset, is that a thing with smoothies? I go for 1/4" - 1/2" depending on the stock shape and cheek rest and wrist, but these guys have no cheek rest and no rear sight and I am unfamiliar with the wrist characteristics on a trade gun.
They are historically straight but you can grow some in there if you want , aint gonna hurt anything....and I love a rear sight on a trade gun . I'm not wing shooter and shoot a lot of round ball past 50 yards

They are historically straight but you can grow some in there if you want , aint gonna hurt anything....and I love a rear sight on a trade gun . I'm not wing shooter and shoot a lot of round ball past 50 yards
actually I was gonna cheat, make 2 tang bolts, one a little longer so I could screw a sight onto the thread that was above the tang and a could switch out the tang bolt to make her look like they did, or wing shoot.

I have been wanting one for a VERY long time, I have had a lot of years to run it through in my head. finally getting that left hand serpent has made me as giddy as a schoolboy going to his first prom

They are historically straight but you can grow some in there if you want , aintgonna hurt anythinh
actually I was gonna cheat, make 2 tang bolts, one a little longer so I could screw a sight onto the thread that was above the tang and a could switch out the tang bolt to make her look like they did, or wing shoot.
tang bolt thing is certainly do able and I've seen it on two originals as well but ....its awfully close . I need my rear sight 10-12" in front of my eyes . Measure first !!

I have been wanting one for a VERY long time, I have had a lot of years to run it through in my head. finally getting that left hand serpent has made me as giddy as a schoolboy going to his first prom
Thats awesome bud , very happy for ya . I know how ya feel ! I'm build MY trade gun today ! :)

I'm sure you'll be fine ....but if you need anything just give me a holler . Ain't trying to be a Ned know it all or anything ..... 740-343-3703

Another way, I'm surprised more folks that worry about having rear sights dont do this .... Most barrels you can dovetail for a rear sight . Just put yourrear right in and mark spot slightly with a cold chisel or engraver . If you want to compete in S.B. competition later just tap it out with brass rod in your bag . easy peasy ....I just shoot woods walks and against rifles

Last edited:
Ok ...I got the area hogged out for the lock guts now , too refine it all till the mechanism works unrestricted and goes back to flush against the barrel ... and cut the trigger slot ...looks like I might get it fine before dark! By the by ....this is an old Curly Gostromski lock that Mike Keller just up and gave me ! Very kind .....

Attachments

• IMG_20230305_153003.jpg
    IMG_20230305_153003.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230305_153035.jpg
    IMG_20230305_153035.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Drill and tap lock anf stock then ....start taking manure off the side plate to get it ready for middle bolt mount .... I need coffee break first though .....

Attachments

• IMG_20230305_155538.jpg
    IMG_20230305_155538.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230305_160209.jpg
    IMG_20230305_160209.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Couldn't help myself .... I cut out a brass buttplate for my trade gun ... I have a fire going in the wood stove in the house so I can anneal it tonight and if I get time I can fit the buttplate after pinning the trigger and measuring the length of pull .... I'm done for tonight !!

Attachments

• IMG_20230305_182808.jpg
    IMG_20230305_182808.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230305_184441.jpg
    IMG_20230305_184441.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
he makes it look so easy ... I wish it really was. my problem is I don't usually build ant 2 of the same type, so I never get truly proficient on any type, just good at inletting, trigger - lock alignment, setting length of pull ... but to do 2 at once, you have to have done a lot of them to crank them out like that.

Latest posts

Back