• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial Trade Gun from a modern Belgian flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My latest project is now done. I wanted a colonial era trade gun, something the common man would have had c1750, and used in both the F&I War and Revolutionary War militia service. I found a Belgian trade gun that had good "bones," and with a little shaping and refinishing, ended up with what you see here. I thinned the wrist, narrowed the comb, and highlighted the area around the tang.
20240127_150328~2.jpg
20240127_150430~2.jpg20240127_150444~2.jpg20240127_151206~2.jpg
I did a complete disassembly, including the lock. All of the metal was a dull, grimy gray. Unfortunately, when I took the screw out of the tumbler, it had so little thread it wouldn't go back in and stripped. I ended up fabricating one from a carriage bolt. Then, when I went to clean the barrel, the brand-new brush BROKE in the breech. It took a couple of hours and a trip to Lowes for a length of pipe, but I got it out...

I bought a new ramrod from Track of the Wolf and made a removable button tip for it. That way I can use jags or mops with the rammer (though I'll probably only use them with my delrin rod.) The other end is tapered, and I have made a worm for it.

Here is what this gun looked like when I got it from Gunderson Militaria (for only $375!) Interestingly, it was painted! And yes, I was tempted to paint it again.

20240127_182348.jpg

Attachments

• 20240127_151044~2.jpg
    20240127_151044~2.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240127_090044~2.jpg
    20240127_090044~2.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240127_150352~2.jpg
    20240127_150352~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Outstanding! What a difference!

That lock looks very crudely designed, as one would expect on a real trade gun. Does it spark well, and did you get the trigger pull to a comfortable weight?

That looks like an interesting project, from start to finish. Thanks for showing it!

Notchy Bob
Thanks!

It does spark well, but the trigger pull is horrendous. I'll address that, maybe see if the notch on the tumbler needs work. Judging by the wear of the tumbler hole in the lockplate, and the condition of the bore, this thing was well used and somewhat neglected.

The American fowler I had made was copied from original photo's and drawings. The stock was cut back and a brass cap add so a bayonet could be affixed. It was their meat gun and protection, then when called to war they were able to use the bayonet.
That’s a nice-looking piece there, bud. It looks very practical, yet still has the simple elegance the old British gunmakers designed into the originals that inspired your musket. I don’t want to divert attention from @Tumbledown ’s fine trade gun, but if you were to start a new thread about your American fowler with some details and a few more pictures, I’m sure it would be well received.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

The American fowler I had made was copied from original photo's and drawings. The stock was cut back and a brass cap add so a bayonet could be affixed. It was their meat gun and protection, then when called to war they were able to use the bayonet.
No means for a bayonet for me, so I'll have to make do with a small axe. ;)

That IS a pretty gun!

No means for a bayonet for me, so I'll have to make do with a small axe. ;)

That IS a pretty gun!
Nobody can say for sure, but I'm sure plenty fought with full stocked fowlers because that's what they had at the moment. The difference between your fowler and mine is you put the work and time to make a beautiful fowler, me I paid someone a lot of money to get the result I was looking for.

Hi Tumbledown

Great job !!! Every once in a while one of these original, early 20th Century Belgium trade guns shows up for sale. Not the later ones assembled and sold during the mid-late 1960's (some with two-piece locks, others with long one piece locks.) Your's looks like one of the old originals. Congratulations. Good find. And again, great restoration job.

Rick

No, no they don’t.
Tell me exactly what's not right, because after seeing lots of trade guns, reproduction and original, to me and many others it looks like a generic colonial era trade gun.

Now, I understand there are a few who are aficionados, or even considered by some to be experts on the subject, here and on other forums, but dismissive and perhaps condescending remarks do not help or encourage anyone.

Tell me exactly what's not right, because after seeing lots of trade guns, reproduction and original, to me and many others it looks like a generic colonial era trade gun.

Now, I understand there are a few who are aficionados, or even considered by some to be experts on the subject, here and on other forums, but dismissive and perhaps condescending remarks do not help or encourage anyone.
So you have seen lots of pictures of trade guns but you can’t see how this Belgian copy doesn’t actually resemble an original? It may resemble an African trade gun, but it doesn’t look anything at all like one made for the American trade. The lock is fine, the barrel is fine, everything else is off, way off.

Back