• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica NW Trade Gun Build Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first gun to build. I have a Pecatonica NW Trade Gun 20 Gauge. Supposedly it is an easier build but not Kibler easy. I am looking for tips, links, and videos to figure out how to get this build put together. I have searched without success so far as to how to put this gun together. I need kindergarten details. All know is to take my time. Thanks in advance!

I am not the expert but I can share what I have learned so far working with a Petaconica build.

1. Check the ramrod hole, make sure it is centered and drilled full depth. You will need to sand the ramrod to a smaller diameter to fit.
2. Finish inletting the barrel and tang.
3. Finish inletting the lock, make sure the touch hole location and pan are where you need them to be.

That is all I can offer so far!

Start with your barrel ...its first nothing else !! Get the breech plug out and start bedding that barrel to finish ... Inlet black needed . Stock in vice and keep painting that barrel black , with wood tap that barrel down and back to breech , tap at muzzle .Keep going until there is no gap at the breech and the e barrel is down to finish . The breech is even with wood at breech and muzzle is down to bed . Try to make sure there is a gap between the barrel and ramrod hole at least 3/16 , esp. if your going to have a front lock bolt ... It goes through there ... Longest pert of a build ... Once thats done you put the breech plug in ... Inlet black the plug and tang ...mark the B.P..bolster and you can chisel it down with out much problem ....then ,barrel inn, trace the tang on wood when it sits down flat on wood ... Chisel and bed that tang down , youll probable have to ben d the tang a bit a few times ....beds it down , blacken it and remains ve he black spots until.the barrel is back to bed and the tang is down .... You can file tang down a bit but not a big amount , most needs to be kept in there ... Stay inside your lines when inletting straight down with your chisels ...nwant as little to.no gap as possible ....keep.tapping barrel back during the process .... Holler when all that is done ....take year time .... Get Hershel Houses VDO d n making a Kentucky rifle, get it at Library so you dont have to buy it ....its great , helped me bunches when first starting out .... Best of luck.

Last edited:
IMG_0533.jpeg
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0556.jpeg
IMG_0557.jpeg
IMG_0591.jpeg
IMG_0592.jpeg
IMG_0630.jpeg
IMG_0631.jpeg
IMG_0670.jpeg

Great advice and pictures here so far. Yes start by in letting the breech plug and tang snd the barrel first. Don’t hammer anything in.
I use a candle instead of inletting ink. Just light the candle get some black soot on the parts. Then place the parts where they should go and remove the black spots left.
Good advice on sanding the ramrod. You will need to do this.
Enjoy your build. Be patient. If you need to step away then step away.

When your in letting the barrel. You have to pull the barrel straight up out of the stock. Otherwise you get a false reading mark at the breech with your in letting black.
Also while in letting the barrel. Make sure you keep the pan of the lock in relationship to the end of the breach plug.
Pay attention to what Rob tells you. All he builds is trade guns. But the bad thing is once you build one you can't stop. Lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back