• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica NW Trade Gun Build Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless I missed it no one has mentioned locating the ramrod hole accurately. I do that before I do anything else on a pre-carved stock because if it's way off you may even have to send it back. To locate it just drill a small hole, 1/16" or so, back near the breech and centered in the barrel channel. Run a ramrod into the rr hole and with a drill bit or nail you can find the amount of wood between the barrel channel and the rr hole. You can also leave out the ramrod and measure to the bottom of the rr hole. As mentioned before, if there is not enough wood to clear the front lock bolt you have a problem.

Unless I missed it no one has mentioned locating the ramrod hole accurately. I do that before I do anything else on a pre-carved stock because if it's way off you may even have to send it back. To locate it just drill a small hole, 1/16" or so, back near the breech and centered in the barrel channel. Run a ramrod into the rr hole and with a drill bit or nail you can find the amount of wood between the barrel channel and the rr hole. You can also leave out the ramrod and measure to the bottom of the rr hole. As mentioned before, if there is not enough wood to clear the front lock bolt you have a problem.
Several ways around the lockbolt issue. Pecatonica usually has overly generous webs between barrel an rammer channels

This is my first gun to build. I have a Pecatonica NW Trade Gun 20 Gauge. Supposedly it is an easier build but not Kibler easy. I am looking for tips, links, and videos to figure out how to get this build put together. I have searched without success so far as to how to put this gun together. I need kindergarten details. All know is to take my time. Thanks in advance!
I built a Pecatonica NW Trade Gun last Summer. IMHO that kit is a pretty tough project for a first timer.There are very talented craftsmen on this forum who build absolutely BEAUTIFUL guns. I’m not one of them but I enjoyed this build and I ended up with a nice looking and very serviceable gun. I live in central Texas and I built it
for small game and birds, primarily doves which are my favorite hunting challenge.
I’ll share a few things I learned on this kit, my mistakes to avoid and hopefully a bit of help to you. You’ve already read some great tips here and hopefully watched some good videos. The member who suggested that layout comes first is definitely correct. I will expand on this a bit to say that you should mark your barrel to show the location of the breach plug using a pencil or felt tip, then draw in the location of the touch hole liner far enough away from the breach plug face to get a tap to work, probably 1/8 to 3/16”. Then hold the lock up to the barrel with the pan in the correct position for the touch hole and flat up against the barrel. That is how the barrel and lock must fit together in the finished gun. Mine didn’t neatly fit the stock in that relationship. Rob M is a GREAT
trade gun builder and he suggested that fitting the barrel comes first. My barrel came with the breach plug installed and I fit them in the stock together until the tang was flush with the stock. Then I figured out that the lock inlet was NOT exactly in the right place to maintain the proper lock to barrel relationship. I had to re bed the barrel to match the lock mortise of the kit stock, Oops! My touch hole didn’t end up right in the middle of the side barrel flat but it still works. I also didn’t try to drill and tap a hole that angles from top to bottom for the tang.

Here's a sorta trade gun I'm currently working on. Number four so far...still learning...

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_111421.jpg
    IMG_20240320_111421.jpg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240226_103925_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20240226_103925_burst_01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240226_104620_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20240226_104620_burst_01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
This is my first gun to build. I have a Pecatonica NW Trade Gun 20 Gauge. Supposedly it is an easier build but not Kibler easy. I am looking for tips, links, and videos to figure out how to get this build put together. I have searched without success so far as to how to put this gun together. I need kindergarten details. All know is to take my time. Thanks in advance!

Northwest trade guns are often called easier builds i think because they have less parts, and less details. For the experienced builder they’re … easier.

They use simple hardware, some have a serpentine side plate which can be inlet or just placed on the stock. There’s usually two rammer tubes, and no trigger plate, and the tang bolt is drilled on a 30-40 degree angle from the front of the triggerguard to the tang of the breech.

If all you’ve done is a Kibler kit, then this will probably be challenge for you.

But there are certainly a vast amount of resources and great people on this forum that can assist you.

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back