• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building yet another NW gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you have contact info, I have wanted a trade gun for years, but being a lefty made it really hard to build, I can use a L&R left hand Queen Ann lock, the barrel is ambi but that darn sideplate, I just could not find one.
Yeah , I've used the L&R Queen Anne left hand version for south paw trade guns . I like them better than the RH version actually v, better lock .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1670634989729.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670634989729.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
I have had the same dilemma. Except I wanted a French gun. No one makes them left handed nowadays, despite the fact that there are two photographed in Kevin Gladysz's book on French trade guns.

But then I realized that once upon a time, I owned a double barrel shotgun, and having two locks never bothered me then. No matter which side a man shoots from, with a double, there's always going to be a lock inches away from his nose.

So I just admitted to reality, and bought a bog standard fusil de chasse parts set from Track of the Wolf. I've been shooting that right handed gun left handed now for nearly three years. And it doesn't seem to bother me at all.

The beauty of trade guns is that in the eighteenth and nineteenth century, they were all built to pattern, almost cookie-cutter like. It kept costs down. Then the hunter who had a trade gun adapted his shooting to the gun.

It will take a bit of practice getting used to a bit different loading technique. But after a few sessions at the range, you'll manage it.
I have been building and shooting since the early '70s. started with CVA kits, moved on to raw parts and all the right hand guns are now relighted to mothballs. I have pretty bad hearing loss from shooting in my youth without hearing protection, back then it wasn't a thing. now I hunt exclusively with flintlocks, no bang by my ear, since I can not use hearing protection while hunting. I will bot ever build myself another gun that's not a lefty. That's my reality. the beauty of trade guns is simple, its a rifle and a shotgun, can hunt deer, elk or birds. they are light, easy handling and easy on the eyes. if there is a left hand sideplate to be had, I am going to have me a shiny new trade gun, and life will be good!

I don't do face book or any of the common social media things, just forums, no good comes from social media, any contact info would be awesome, you have no idea how many times I went down the rabbit hole looking for a lefty sideplate, my next option was going to be scan one with a 3d scanner, reverse it in cad, and print one on a 3d printer and melt it out of the casting plaster to make a plaster mold, then melt and pour some rifle brass to make one. Crude, I know, but I really want to build one

I don't do face book or any of the common social media things, just forums, no good comes from social media, any contact info would be awesome, you have no idea how many times I went down the rabbit hole looking for a lefty sideplate, my next option was going to be scan one with a 3d scanner, reverse it in cad, and print one on a 3d printer and melt it out of the casting plaster to make a plaster mold, then melt and pour some rifle brass to make one. Crude, I know, but I really want to build one
Ok bud ...I'll find his info tomorrow and get it for ya

do you have contact info, I have wanted a trade gun for years, but being a lefty made it really hard to build, I can use a L&R left hand Queen Ann lock, the barrel is ambi but that darn sideplate, I just could not find one.
I can't find the paper work from the last purchase I made from Jack . I sent him a message , as soon as he answers I'll holler at you ....

See ?!! You've caught the bug ! I'd love to be on here 6 months from now and everyone is in the process of building a NW trade gun for themselves ! That would be awesome !! :)
That sounds real fine and all Rob, but if you came back in 6 months and everyone was building their own guns... you might have to work part time at the local Piggly Wiggly 🤣

That sounds real fine and all Rob, but if you came back in 6 months and everyone was building their own guns... you might have to work part time at the local Piggly Wiggly 🤣
Ah !! I'd eat up all their profits ! Hey bud ...message me and give me your email . gonna send you a copy of the building manual . Awesome Ms Newton made us a download of the whole frikken book !!

Rob has got me hooked on building these guns...!
They are fun to do....! Mostly because you can make just about every part on the gun. Except the barrel and lock....Fun times...
Be sure and message me your email address and I'll send you a copy of Bill Newton s wonderful book on how to build NW trade guns

Be sure and message me your email address and I'll send you a copy of Bill Newton s wonderful book on how to build NW trade guns
Bob I joined so I could get a copy of Bill Newton How to Build NW Trade Gun . If you could send me a message with info. I would appreciate it. As I don't know how to message on this forum to send email. Or it just I'M too new of a member, I not allow to message yet

Barrel .... I filed the rings on , stamped it with appropriate LONDON and early proof mark , soldered on front brass blade and it had been browning for four days now .
It ll take awhile ....looking good though

The barrels looking good. You move along pretty quick on your builds. I'm thinking of ordering a barrel from Ken for my future build and was wondering if you get yours breeched or does he not provide this.

Rob, how do you like shellac for a finish? I haven't tried it, but it should be fine, it's kind of what polyurethane wants to be. Nice gun, BTW.

The barrels looking good. You move along pretty quick on your builds. I'm thinking of ordering a barrel from Ken for my future build and was wondering if you get yours breeched or does he not provide this.
He threads the breech if you want him too and will also fit the breech plug if you want . He only makes round barrels so just keep that in mind . If you want flats you'll have to do that . Kens barrels are the best , I love em

Rob, how do you like shellac for a finish? I haven't tried it, but it should be fine, it's kind of what polyurethane wants to be. Nice gun, BTW.
I only use varnish or shellac for the finish because thats authentic , it does protect the wood and it dries quickly , three things that oil does not achieve . Dont get me wrong , if done correctly oil is beautiful and my favorite gun builder of all time uses it but I dislike it and its a long drawn out pain to use ...and not authentic . The shellac I use now I like because it looks good when it is done , found locally , dries quick and slightly tinted for a little more muted color , but just slightly .... I like it and I've tried a BUNCH of them

Back