• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building ME a NW Trade Gun ! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep ....lots of original trade guns with rear sights on them. They were added later but it was very common and it helps a lot esp. at longer ranges . Mine will certainly have a rear sight on it .
Again, my copy is back in Louisiana at the moment, but want to say that there were cites of specifications of trade guns to be made with rear sights.
Until I get it back, will have to just leave it without citation.

Again, my copy is back in Louisiana at the moment, but want to say that there were cites of specifications of trade guns to be made with rear sights.
Until I get it back, will have to just leave it without citation.
Yeah , Carolina Guns / Type Gs were made with rear sights .... The vast majority of trade guns did not have rear sights , they were fowling pieces , and NW guns did not have rear sights from the makers .

and that great builder would likely tell you that it was so you had to pull the ramrod out to remove the lock bolt, a safety thing.
a master builder has nothing to prove, and would just say, I had too much coffee and was in a rush.

Yeah, I had a gun built for me about 40 years ago by a great builder and the front bolt had a notch in it!
My fusil has a notch in the front lock bolt. There is a groove in the lock bolt to let ramrod pass under bolt. Notch on bolt head indicates position of groove on bolt shaft.

Stock , rear of mortices to roughed in shape .... used " ye old stock duplicator ' to do the job ....

Attachments

• IMG_20230307_135240.jpg
    IMG_20230307_135240.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230307_140047.jpg
    IMG_20230307_140047.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
My fusil has a notch in the front lock bolt. There is a groove in the lock bolt to let ramrod pass under bolt. Notch on bolt head indicates position of groove on bolt shaft.
Oh !! LOL ! I've had to do that before too ...but usually that is from the ramrod going UP a bit too much and making the web thin during drilling for the ramrod ....it happens .

Drill the dreaded NW trade gun angle then drill and tap tang .... This one is pretty cool as the angle is really nice , not too steep of an angle as per usual . Different locks has different geometry to them .

Attachments

• IMG_20230307_151644.jpg
    IMG_20230307_151644.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wow ! She's come a long ways ! Trimmed the side plate up and roughed in the rear mortices a bit , drilled TG for all screws , fit it and attached it , put curl on trigger and set it , of course , roughed in the stock today ...put lines on where I will work the wrist and comb , drilled the touch hole ....she is a working gun right now ! I could take her hunting ! I will VDO her first shot later ... I need a sear spring for it too, on its way . Later I will make the ramrod pipes and fit and pin them , then rough in the mortices forward , then a front blade on .... make a tapered ramrod . She will probably stay " in the rough " stage for awhile till I get caught up with some things but I really have to have her in shooting / hunting condition soon . She can be shot now but I need the other stuff done too I mentioned for it to be hunting ready . Been seeing turkey on my coffee trips !! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20230307_153959.jpg
    IMG_20230307_153959.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230307_154021.jpg
    IMG_20230307_154021.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230307_154005.jpg
    IMG_20230307_154005.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back