• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Building ME a NW Trade Gun ! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So .....after getting the barrels pinned in place , etc. I started inletting the lock , not on mine un fortunately but Ricks is the priority, his first .... Before I quit in the shop I got it all inlet and in functioning shape with trigger slot installed ... Middle lock bolt drilled , installed and side plate cleaned up and hung , not done obviously but hung .... Pictures coming up but not of my gun ...I'll start the lock inletting on my NW gun tomorrow . I'm kinda liking the building two NW guns at once so I'll keep posting Pics of both ......

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_20230304_182132.jpg
    IMG_20230304_182132.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230304_182248.jpg
    IMG_20230304_182248.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230304_175534.jpg
    IMG_20230304_175534.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230304_133652.jpg
    IMG_20230304_133652.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230304_182107.jpg
    IMG_20230304_182107.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230304_125113.jpg
    IMG_20230304_125113.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Thank you Kansas Jake . Funny ....you are the second person to say that in a month ...I've never heard that in my life about me doing anything ! , except maybe eating a pizza ! LOL ...perhaps I'm finally learning how to build . Took me long enough ! Geesh ! :)
Your speed at putting these together is amazing. My undiagnosed ADD doesn’t allow me that level of focus. Or maybe I’m just a bit lazy.
Me

Attachments

• IMG_20230304_175552.jpg
    IMG_20230304_175552.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi bud . Its an interesting story actually ....Back in 96 I was walking around at a flea market . I saw the wood screw piece and the part it threads into for sale , no handle or jaws , just screw ..., I had made two guns at that time , and would love to have an old style wood vice . ..so I bought it ...like $5 . Fast forward to 2004 and moving away to a different part of the state and going through an.old barn . I found the front jaw ! Very old original , the old coffin style original ! I made the bench from oak boards I got out of the barn too and the rear jaw as well . I had some fitting etc. to do to make it all work , screw hole esp and adj. at the bottom but I've been using it ever since . I need to make another hickory handle for it so it'll loom better , I've broke two so far , but ....after I get caught up . :)
Rob where did you get that vic

Looking good Rob. Had a question on the sideplates. Do you do anything to detail them or use them as cast? I got one but the details aren't the cleanest.
Most of them are rough , the affordable ones anyway . Chasing them with a chisel or engraver is the best way to clean them up but ...it can screw them up too . The wax cast ones are much nicer . If you want one I'd stear towards them if I was you bud ...these cast ones can be a chore ....

Most of them are rough , the affordable ones anyway . Chasing them with a chisel or engraver is the best way to clean them up but ...it can screw them up too . The wax cast ones are much nicer . If you want one I'd stear towards them if I was you bud ...these cast ones can be a chore ....
OK thanks, that's what I was thinking was a graver. Where is a good source for nicer ones?

Once again, I am last to the party... LOVE watching these gun builds step by step, but I have too much going on to keep on top. Better late than never they say! Great job as usual Rob! Will be working up loads for turkey when the weather allows, and the Netting .560 will be used this time, but I do wonder often....... How would a Rob Miller .62 smooth bore work on a big gobler??? hmmmm... someday, I hope to find out...

...... Oh , nothing that can't wait . This build will drag on another two weeks . Well , your gonna find out how the turkeys fare against my trade guns . Perhaps from pics of this slayer I'm building for myself , I might be shootin it in 2x4 form BUT ...." It will kill ! " LOL We'll see . 65gr.2F and #4 shot .... Keep stuffin on hand! GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE !!! Yummy !! :)
Once again, I am last to the party... LOVE watching these gun builds step by step, but I have too much going on to keep on top. Better late than never they say! Great job as usual Rob! Will be working up loads for turkey when the weather allows, and the Netting .560 will be used this time, but I do wonder often....... How would a Rob Miller .62 smooth bore work on a big gobler??? hmmmm... someday, I hope to find out..

OK thanks, that's what I was thinking was a graver. Where is a good source for nicer ones?
Here is what that wax cast side plate looks like from a NW gun I built a couple years ago, doesn't need cleaned up . Sorry not straight on pics ...I'll look for better ....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1669607564155.jpg
    FB_IMG_1669607564155.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1669607557416.jpg
    FB_IMG_1669607557416.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Rob. I've noticed on other pics of yours that the plates seemed to have good detail. Figured you must do some work to get them that way. Seemed like it would be a pile of work though.

L
Thanks Rob. I've noticed on other pics of yours that the plates seemed to have good detail. Figured you must do some work to get them that way. Seemed like it would be a pile of work though.
Its a pain in the arse , and easy to mess them up ...I've ruined a few .....

Last edited:
Back