• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colonial Trade Gun from a modern Belgian flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So no one thinks that the guns back then were repurposed from available parts..? Or that a gun was used over several decades. With changes made to it overtime ? Because of repairs it needed..?
I think you did a great job with what you started with.
Well done.
The "purists" seem to believe that every smith in the colonial era worked from some sort of pattern book so that everyone's product would look exactly the same - that's just illogical horse pucky. Folks back then re-purposed what ever they could as there was no Track of the Wolf or Rifle Shop in the colonial era for them to whip out their credit card and order the exact part that would be deemed correct for experts in 2024. You did a fantastic job and most of us would be quite happy to have that piece. Great Job!

The "purists" seem to believe that every smith in the colonial era worked from some sort of pattern book so that everyone's product would look exactly the same - that's just illogical horse pucky. Folks back then re-purposed what ever they could as there was no Track of the Wolf or Rifle Shop in the colonial era for them to whip out their credit card and order the exact part that would be deemed correct for experts in 2024. You did a fantastic job and most of us would be quite happy to have that piece. Great Job!
Very nice, good work. I would be proud.
I’m certain no one alive in the 18th century would have any issue with your gun.

Hi Tumbledown

Great job !!! Every once in a while one of these original, early 20th Century Belgium trade guns shows up for sale. Not the later ones assembled and sold during the mid-late 1960's (some with two-piece locks, others with long one piece locks.) Your's looks like one of the old originals. Congratulations. Good find. And again, great restoration job.

Rick
The proofs look Birmingham not Belgium not that that matters overly . Rudyard

Latest posts

Back