• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building yet another NW gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew that about oil, it works, but not the best, and I like how it's repairable. I'm curious how shellac holds up in wet weather.
When I oil a stock, I use minwax antique oil. The first 2 coats are flooded EVERYWHERE, including pouring some down the ramrod hole, and especially under the buttplate. Then, topcoat with a couple coats of Truoil. My trade gun is done like that, it's been working ok for 20 years so far.
But you're right, shellac is a better sealant against water vapor. Jay Massey used to push shellac and oil mixed for sealing wooden bows. I have yet to try it, maybe I'll try it on an Uberti revolving carbine I have coming. That modern finish looks out of place.
If you want to tint finish, or dye wood, look at TRANS TINT aniline dyes. I use them at work, they're excellent. The brown mahogany is the perfect color in my eyes, brown with red in it. This is it on an elm airgun stock
IMG_20220926_165712.jpg
IMG_20220926_165712.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220926_165644.jpg
    IMG_20220926_165644.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I knew that about oil, it works, but not the best, and I like how it's repairable. I'm curious how shellac holds up in wet weather.
When I oil a stock, I use minwax antique oil. The first 2 coats are flooded EVERYWHERE, including pouring some down the ramrod hole, and especially under the buttplate. Then, topcoat with a couple coats of Truoil. My trade gun is done like that, it's been working ok for 20 years so far.
But you're right, shellac is a better sealant against water vapor. Jay Massey used to push shellac and oil mixed for sealing wooden bows. I have yet to try it, maybe I'll try it on an Uberti revolving carbine I have coming. That modern finish looks out of place.
If you want to tint finish, or dye wood, look at TRANS TINT aniline dyes. I use them at work, they're excellent. The brown mahogany is the perfect color in my eyes, brown with red in it. This is it on an elm airgun stockView attachment 197317View attachment 197317
I'm just splitting hairs . Your work looks beautiful and I know a few builders that use oil and their work is gorgeous too . I couldn't tell you how it holds up in rain . The trade gun and I are in the cabin if it is raining ! :)

Like the butt plate photo! I like how my Curly Gostomsky butt plate is so well fitted and firmly nailed! The Trade Gun thing really gets to you once you get bitten by it!
Butt pics !! LOL !! :D. The NW Fuke is something . Its an ugly little gun but there's something about it that keeps me coming back . It is my favorite trade gun and I like them all .

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1669607463784.jpg
    FB_IMG_1669607463784.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1669607407117.jpg
    FB_IMG_1669607407117.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221127_155159.jpg
    IMG_20221127_155159.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1670634985730.jpg
    FB_IMG_1670634985730.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 0
How does that sharp edge on the stock feel against your face? I’ve never handled one but from the pictures it doesn’t look like it would feel to good. I am enjoying your build pics. Thank you.

The buttplate against your shoulder ? You dont feel anything unpleasant in the least ....Oh ! The comb ! No , it doesn't hurt on recoil or anything like that . The comb on a Fusil de chasse can really pop you in the cheek but thats because of the drop , no the NW gun is pretty straight pull ,the recoil doesn't pop you .... Funny , just had a customer here last weekend and he asked , worried , about the same thing so I'm makes his with a Willets type comb , more taper at the comb , more rounded .
How does that sharp edge on the stock feel against your face? I’ve never handled one but from the pictures it doesn’t look like it would feel to good. I am enjoying your build pics. Thank yo

I'm just splitting hairs . Your work looks beautiful and I know a few builders that use oil and their work is gorgeous too . I couldn't tell you how it holds up in rain . The trade gun and I are in the cabin if it is raining ! :)
Thanks for the compliment, that means something coming from a guy that builds nice guns like you do!
I live at the base of Michigan's thumb, we get some weather here. The muzzleloaders in the Lower shoot, rain or shine! Thus my questions. So far, mine is holding up fine, it's ageing like a good woman, it's showing some age and mileage but it shines in my eyes

Attachments

• IMG_20221214_132230~2.jpg
    IMG_20221214_132230~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Rob one thing I learned doing wedding outdoor photography. When in doubt use flash. But that was the days of old 35mm. But I still use flash outdoors with my digital wonder camera....lol

Thanks for the compliment, that means something coming from a guy that builds nice guns like you do!
I live at the base of Michigan's thumb, we get some weather here. The muzzleloaders in the Lower shoot, rain or shine! Thus my questions. So far, mine is holding up fine, it's ageing like a good woman, it's showing some age and mileage but it shines in my eyes
Its a beauty ! I love when they start acquiring some character to them .

Butt pics !! LOL !! :D. The NW Fuke is something . Its an ugly little gun but there's something about it that keeps me coming back . It is my favorite trade gun and I like them all .
I'm tempted to get a MH Tradey; made in India, but has the short 36" bbl. My Gostomsky has the 42" length. Would love to hear from those that ordered and have a Military Heritage Co. Trade Gun. They've been mentioned on this site before.

I'm tempted to get a MH Tradey; made in India, but has the short 36" bbl. My Gostomsky has the 42" length. Would love to hear from those that ordered and have a Military Heritage Co. Trade Gun. They've been mentioned on this site before.
Hey ...if you are interested in a like new , from what I can tell , North Star West NW trade gun , 36" barrel , let me know . I can set you up . Its for sale for 1k

Hey ...if you are interested in a like new , from what I can tell , North Star West NW trade gun , 36" barrel , let me know . I can set you up . Its for sale for 1k
Hey, thanks, but I'm not in the market at this time. This is a great site for tips and helpful info, I appreciate your post. There's so many fish to fry, Rob M.! Best regards, Springfield Art.

Hey, thanks, but I'm not in the market at this time. This is a great site for tips and helpful info, I appreciate your post. There's so many fish to fry, Rob M.! Best regards, Springfield Art.
Your welcome bud , just spreading the word . Wish I had the $ ! Take care. :)

Long tall Texan is all done and on its way to the Long Horn State ... 6.40 pounds

Attachments

• IMG_20230308_113255.jpg
    IMG_20230308_113255.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230308_113325.jpg
    IMG_20230308_113325.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230308_113207.jpg
    IMG_20230308_113207.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230308_113248.jpg
    IMG_20230308_113248.jpg