• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What kind of stuff do you all read?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The movie was inspiring.

Attachments

• IMG_2748.jpeg
    IMG_2748.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I just finished "Wild Bill" by Tom Clavin. Before that, "Calamity Jane and her Siblings" by Jan Cerney. I just started "Dodge City" by Tom Clavin. Next trip to town I will pick up "The Indispensables". I read a lot as does my wife.

That is an awesome book. Checked it out from the library 20 something years ago. He sounds just like my grandfather.
Yessir! Definitely cut from old school cloth. I had to have a .41 mag after reading about him.

I have probably read "Islands in the Stream" four times and would happily read it again. Critics bashed Hemingway on that one and so what? The language and the depictions are first rate. Hard pressed to think of a Hemingway book I would not reread.
Holds true also of some of Robert Ruark's work. Particularly the Old Man and the Boy books. We had a friend who was a missionary in Africa in the day and he says Ruark's depictions of the MauMau era are spot on.
Other than that, WWII history. It was so big and lasted so long that there are a million good true stories out of it.

I've got an acre of gun related books that are mostly for reference but I tend to choose historical crime novels for pleasure reading, I like Sherlock Holmes, either the original text by Conan Doyle or one of the many (and sometimes varied!) pastiches. Latest book that I picked up in a charity shop (UK) is the Railway Detective, one of a series, that and a Clive Cussler which used to be another favourite.
Both books cost £1 GB so just over a dollar! When they're done they will go back to a different Charity Shop! Read, Re-use, Recycle!!

Adventure stuff whether factual or fiction. Science fiction, war stories factual or fiction. Who done its. I'll read most anything that strikes my fancy at the time. Magazines no. I been getting the NRA mag since the early 70's and I don't think I've opened one in ten years, more advertising than material. I take no magazines or the local paper. I revere books.
I like to physically hold a book in my hands, I abhor so called e-books and like you haven't taken the newspapers since I retired some 5 years ago. My Wife bought me a Kindle when I retired and I think it's only ever been charged the once!
There's a Warren Zevon (Werwolves of London) quote about owning books, something along the lines of 'A person buys books with the hope of living long enough to read them all' or something similar. I have so many I very much doubt whether I will live that long!

I still love to read the old classics like Catch 22 by Joseph Heller and, my favorite, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I also wade through alot of books on astronomy, my other hobby.

Tolkien is a little difficult for some due to created language.
I first read the trilogy in 1969 and The Hobbit after.
My wife bought me a leather-bound limited edition in 1978, which I still have, I went on a marathon reading the whole 1300+ pages in 14 hrs. My family hates when I start quoting.. ;) .
For my 21st birthday my parents gifted me a red leather bound copy of TLOTR. I drag it out every 5-6 years and read it cover to cover. I find age and experience brings change and nuance to my enjoyment of the book.

For my 21st birthday my parents gifted me a red leather bound copy of TLOTR. I drag it out every 5-6 years and read it cover to cover. I find age and experience brings change and nuance to my enjoyment of the book.
Yours is probably the same edition as mine which is red with gold leaf. You are correct about re-reading my mind sees something different every time I do a re-read.

I've got an acre of gun related books that are mostly for reference but I tend to choose historical crime novels for pleasure reading, I like Sherlock Holmes, either the original text by Conan Doyle or one of the many (and sometimes varied!) pastiches. Latest book that I picked up in a charity shop (UK) is the Railway Detective, one of a series, that and a Clive Cussler which used to be another favourite.
Both books cost £1 GB so just over a dollar! When they're done they will go back to a different Charity Shop! Read, Re-use, Recycle!!
Unless I disliked a book I have a hard time surrendering it. Became an avid reader in kindergarten, am 75 now, and never stopped. The house is chock full of books. The only times the library thinned were the times we moved.
People say I will read anything. Books, newspapers, magazines, wanted posters, supermarket bulletin boards. I have ARMD so a lot of my reading has migrated to a Kindle. Which has been a great help. Thank you Jeff Bezos!
The last few years I have been reading a lot of naval history and historical naval fiction.

I like to physically hold a book in my hands, I abhor so called e-books
+1

Attended a one room school house for six years. Been a book worm since the first grade.
At 84 years old i ain't slowed down.

There's a book on our coffee table, that's been there for ten years. The West an Illustrated History by Jeoffrey C. Ward is too large to hold and read. One day i'll buy a reading stand and enjoy that book.

Just ordered Jews In The Garden: About a Holocaust survivor and his murdered Polish family.

A good read is Forgotten Soldier by Guy SaJer.

If you like reading military stuff, About Face by Colonel David Hackworth is a great read. Colonel Hackworth became critical of the way the war in Viet Nam was being fought: He held more decorations than the average Colonel. His decorations include 10 Silver Stars and two Distinguished Service Crosses.

lot of my reading has migrated to a Kindle. Which has been a great help. Thank you Jeff Bezos!
The last few years I have been reading a lot of naval history and historical naval fiction.
I too read on a kindle and it sure is nice. I take mine while hunting and read while waiting for something to show up. Helps pass the time.

Along with Naval History, I try to read every contemporaneously written book of the trapping, Indian Wars and generally the 1800s

Back