• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

What kind of stuff do you all read?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my favorite books is, 'Japanese Destroyer Captain'. by Tomichi Hara. Hi true accounts of naval battle in the pacific during WW2 from the Japanese perspective.
With Musket & Tomahawk, by Michael O. Logusz. There are 3 volumes about 400 pgs. each. I knew the author. I haven't seen him in about 10 years, so I don't know where he is now. Good books though. Semper Fi.
Ordered Hara's book. Thanks for the tip.

Mostly historical books. Kim Bridger, The life of a Confederate Private, The llLife of a Confederate Staff Officer, Mathan Nedfprd Forrest, Mosbey, Spirit of 1876, The Life of a Revolutionary Private, Captured by the Indians, etc.

I can’t get enough non-fiction. I’ll get stuck on some subject and go on a tear. I know many on here love McManus as much as I do. On those lines I’ve also read a lot of Bill Heavey. I am not a motorcycle enthusiast, but have read a lot of autobiographies and biographies of 1%ers. I just picked up Charles Burkowski, “Notes of a Dirty Old Man”, which is unusual for me, but interesting.

Just curious what taste every one has when it comes to reading material?
I am not a huge magazine reader simply due to the boring stuff and mostly advertisement stuff in them. They can be good for pictures though to look at and day dream, but usually the writing sucks LOL.
I've pretty much destroyed the book department and am looking for "new" authors that write decent about the mountain man era. I've gone through so many books by various authors, including one writer that has a 70+ book series, that it's getting super hard to find new material to enjoy.

I was visiting Austin and found this Book
1686007997618.png

On a more serious note: Start with Twain and get serious with Steinbeck. Go to East of Eden for his masterpiece. [not the cheesy, James Dean movie knockoff] Disturbing but epic.
He did novels but included real history and a personal and accurate understanding of central CA [Salinas Valley especially] before it became a "3rd world sh_t hole". BTW, Dean died in his famous car crash at the southern edge [Cholame] of Steinbeck country. SW

I am currently reading: "The Year Of Decision 1846" by Bernard DeVoto. Published in 1942, it covers all the major events that happend in the U.S.A. in that year. It is a very interesting read. Prior to that I had just completed "Moby Dick" by Herman Melville for the third time.

Don't read much fiction but Steinbeck and Twain are a couple of my favorites when I do. Maybe add Wm. Faulkner to that list. Not much on pro sports reading but am about finished with I Am Third, by Gale Sayers. Just finished The Big Lie by D'Souza.
Tortilla Flatts is one of my favorites of Steinbeck.

Back