• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What to Read during Social Isolation?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cobra 6
Yup
I'm in Ashburn and its about Morgans Rifleman, In the first chapter they were walking down the Leesburg Pike. I just started and they are right in the NOVA area!. Im guessing if you're from Warrenton you shoot at Clarks? That's were I usually go to shoot BP (Black Powder). Elite or Silver Eagle for everything else.

Bernard Cornwell book titled The Fort.
It is from the American Revolution and I can't recommend it enough.
Cornwell's books are all great (well I haven't read the Sharp's series so...)
He really does his homework with historical research, and even the appendix are worth reading.

I have been taking some time to reread Lord of the Rings.

If you haven't read Game of Thrones series by G RR Martin (The Song of Ice and Fire), they are excellent.

For a more forum appropriate suggestion, "The Killer Angles" by M. Sahara, or "Gods and Generals" by his son are excellent, and will change your speaking patterns by the time you have completed them.

American Hannibal by Jim Stempel, With Musket & Tomahawk: The Mohawk Valley Campaign in the Wilderness War of 1777, and With Musket & Tomahawk: The Saratoga Campaign and the Wilderness War by Michael O. Logusz. The classic "The Frontiersman" by Allan W Eckert started my journey down the black powder path with a little nudge from Davy Crockett on the TV.

Marinekayak,

I go to Clark Bro. for all my supplies. I shot there in the past but since then I do most of my shooting in the back yard. Ashburn is about 30 miles North of my location, I gave Warrenton as a reference. Actually I live just North of Quantico Va. in a small village called Bristersburg, I'll check out "Morgans Riflemen," seems like some interesting reading. Be careful of that bear, it fell once. TKS.

Cobra 6

I've read the entire Terry C. Johnston series on the fictional mountain man character, Titus Bass. Now I'm reading his Plainsman series about Seamus Donegan.

I just finished "A Rifleman Goes To War". It was informative but tedious repetitive reading it seemed to me. Now I'm reading a stellar book, "Military Anecdotes". Tales from long ago to near modern times. Lotsa crazy stuff.

Marinekayak, In fiction, I recommend A.B. Guthrie's "Big Sky" and the several volumes that follow that thread, or Terry Johnston's books starting with "Carry The Wind." Or Don Wright's series starting with "The Woodsman." For non-fiction, you can't go far wrong starting with the Lewis & Clark Journals or Russel's "Journal Of A Trapper." Enjoy.
Tanglefoot

If you like western novels, look for those written by Donald Hamilton, who wrote the "Matt Helm" books. (The Matt Helm books are some of my favorites.) They are excellent, as good as L'Amour. They are long out of print and hard to find but worth it.

Jeff

If you are interested in Mountain men and the Westward Expansion, there are two books written in the early 1900’s by a guy who lived it are:
“Thirty-one years on the plains and in the mountains” and “Chief of Scouts piloting emigrants across the plains of 50 years ago”, by Captain William F. Drannan.
Both page turners for me!

Books on deck to read are "Buffalo soldier Tragedy 1877" 2004, "All the Brave Rifles" 1929, and the one you listed “Chief of Scouts piloting emigrants across the plains of 50 years ago”, by Captain William F. Drannan. 1910.

With your referring to Capt Drannan, I had to pull out my copy i snagged off of Amazon used seller list, and was tickled with what received ! 1910 1st edition. Open the book and there is the person who may have owned it first ! from Manhattan Montana ( iknow the location well) and then inside I find a Author Autograph ? If anyone else has this edition please look and see if this was a "print" added or the real deal !

20200517_144352.jpg20200517_144400.jpg20200517_144416.jpg

For classic period fiction you could check out Kenneth Roberts. Many about the AWI. "Northwest Passage" is an engaging view of Robert Rogers and the St. Francis raid.
Right now I'm reading "White Devil," which is a nonfiction book about Rogers and particularly the events surrounding the St. Francis raid, as well as its impact and legacy. It is a very engaging read. If you read "Northwest Passage" you should read "White Devil" alongside it.

Last year I listened to the audiobook version of "Bloody Mohawk," about the F&I and AWI in the Mohawk valley of New York. It focuses on the personalities, such as William Johnson and the Brants and Nicholas Herkimer. I can't recommend it enough. The whole thing is fascinating. It's worth it for the explanation and description of the Battle of Oriskany alone.

Last edited:
Last time I endured a "lockdown" (six months' recovery from a heart attack) I read seventeen books written about the F&I Period, including all of those listed above. It is very interesting to spend a solid period of time reading about one period in great depth. Although some were redundant to others, they all gave different perspectives on the people, placed, and events. Devito's COURSE OF EMPIRE puts it all into perspective as a first, or final, read.

ADK Bigfoot

Back