What to Read during Social Isolation?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

ADK Bigfoot

40 Cal
Reaction score
Last time I endured a "lockdown" (six months' recovery from a heart attack) I read seventeen books written about the F&I Period, including all of those listed above. It is very interesting to spend a solid period of time reading about one period in great depth. Although some were redundant to others, they all gave different perspectives on the people, placed, and events. Devito's COURSE OF EMPIRE puts it all into perspective as a first, or final, read.

ADK Bigfoot
Spell check. people, places, and events......DeVoto's Course of Empire. damn spell check.

Reaction score
Anything by Hariette Simpson Arnow. Seedtime on the Cumberland and Flowering on the Cumberland are brilliant period history.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
being from NEW ENGLAND, RHODE ISLAND,two books on KING PHILIPS WAR come to mind - FLINT LOCK & TOMMAHAWK and ASK NO QUARTER, both will be hard to put down.

Cobra6

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you that like Civil War "stuff" read; Rebel, "The Life and Times of John Singleton Mosby." He was a Northern Virginia patriot, and while employing gorilla tactics drove the Union Army nuts. Good period reading and adventure. Nonfiction and historical.

Cobra 6

Marshhawk

32 Cal
Reaction score
For fiction re: the French and Indian War, you might like "Three Thousand Days and Nights," by Benjamin Farley. Quite entertaining.

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
FARLEY, is a great read. thanks for turning me onto it!!

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for good fiction from the Rev War up through the fur trade era.
Well I'm sure folks have mentioned the books by Allan Eckert. Wilderness War, Wilderness Empire, The Frontiersman.....etc
Rabble in Arms by Kenneth Roberts (who also wrote North West Passage) Roberts also penned, the year before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor,
Oliver Wiswell. Which is a pretty amazing book considering it tells the side of the American Revolution from the point of view of a Loyalist, and it was a success in America just as WW2 was kicking off around the globe.
Drums Along The Mohawk by Walter D. Edmonds is also good.

LD

BullRunBear

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This thread is getting a bit expensive. Just ordered a copy of "Three Thousand Days and Nights".

Once the local used book store re-opens I'll check for the books on King Philip's War. I grew up in Rhode Island. In grade school we learned about it as local history although not really covered in our history books. This was back during the Eisenhower administration. They probably don't do that anymore.

Jeff

Marinekayak

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Just got Ambroses’ “Undaunted Courage” as an e book from the library. Going to tackle it this weekend.

Latest posts