• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swabbing the barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE LUBE MAY HAVE HELPED BUT YOUR SON'S TURNING HIMSELF INTO A FIXED GUN EMPLACEMENT HAD A LOT MORE TO DO WITH IT.

I GOT INTO bp TO HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY SON. HE COULD NOT HAVE CARED LESS FOR IT, BUT I GOT HOOKEE.

CONGRATILATIONS ON BEING A BETTER FATHER.

DURCH

Dutch,
The 25 and 50 yard targets were off hand and of course 100 bench. We practiced at home . All yardage was bench just to make sure all shots were consistant. They were.he is a good shot no flinching his eyes stay open thru the shot and he follows thru after each shot.
Consistant with powder,balls seating,swab between shots. But it takes a lot of practice. But it pays off. Lets not forget the lube.
Larry

So you feel you only need accuracy when competing in a match and not when hunting? I would think a person would want accuracy for every shot. As the whole object offloading and aiming a rifle is to place a small lead object in a specific spot on target, squirrel or Bambi it doesn't make sense to me not to do your best with every shot fired.
I guess that might make me anut case I am not criticizing blinkers its just different strokes etc,

Dutch

When I hunt I rely on the first and maybe second shots on an otherwise clean barrel to get the job done. My rifle is very capable of the accuracy to drop deer sized game without concern for swabbing between shots. I don't expect to clover leaf my shots at 50 yards and it isn't necessary to do so to take deer. Now I've never hunted squirrels with a small caliber muzzle loader, yet, so when I get to that point (once my squirrel gun is finished) I may have to change my tune, but I doubt it.

ACTUALLY I DON'T BELIEVE YOU SHOULD WIPE BETWEEN SHOTS WHEN HUNTING.
IN THE INLIKELY EVENT YOOUR FIRST TWO SHOTS DON;T DO THE JOB AND THE GAME IS NO ONGE IN VIEW I THINK A QUICK WIPE MIGHT BE A GOOD THING BEFORE YOU SHOOT AGAIN.

I DEPENDS, OF COURSE ON WHAT YOU ARE HUNTING. SQUIRRELS MIGHT REQUIRE A LOT MOR ACCURACY THAN DEER.. I AGREE WITH WHAT YOU ARE DOING. ENTIRELY.

DUTCH

When I hunt I rely on the first and maybe second shots on an otherwise clean barrel to get the job done. My rifle is very capable of the accuracy to drop deer sized game without concern for swabbing between shots. I don't expect to clover leaf my shots at 50 yards and it isn't necessary to do so to take deer. Now I've never hunted squirrels with a small caliber muzzle loader, yet, so when I get to that point (once my squirrel gun is finished) I may have to change my tune, but I doubt it.

In my very old .50 flinter, I run an short aerosol squirt of Brake Cleaner down the bore and on a patch every 2rd shot, comes out dirty and bore evaporates the B/C in a few seconds with a clean second patch. No special mix and not greasy. I use the same patch to quick wipe the pan/flint and of course always crunch the new powder charge in the fire hole on every shot. Consistent positive ignition and Accuracy seems the same as a first time clean bore. Been doing this for 37 years. Same B/C method with my Colt '60 Army after every 6 shots. Only downside is carrying the aerosol can which does not seem to be a problem. Anyone else try this method? I don't think B/C was in use in the early days...!?

Did they have rifle racks in the back window of their pick ups?
No the first evidence of rifle racks in pickups was a letter from bents fort, to Sam Hawken in 1852 indicating seeing a rack in a pick up on the way to Santa Fe, he thought it was a good idea and was enquirering if Sam could make such a thing. Records from the Hawken shop indicates they did not produce one until ‘55.

The patches wasn't dripping WD40. And as far as I could tell, at the time, it had no effect on the powder or shooting power. When the weather warms up I'll make an effort and try it again. Charles

How does WD 40 affect black powder's explosion when WD 40 wets that powder?
As WD 40 is probably flammable It wouldn't be as damping as water wet black powder.
Enquiring minds want to know....
Dutch
The patches wasn't dripping WD40. And as far as I could tell, at the time, it had no effect on the powder or shooting power. When the weather warms up I'll make an effort and try it again. Charles

How does WD 40 affect black powder's explosion when WD 40 wets that powder?
As WD 40 is probably flammable It wouldn't be as damping as water wet black powder.
Enquiring minds want to know....
Dutch
WD 40 is definatatly flammable. It has been used as a starting fluid in cold, un-coopertive Diesel engines that cannot tolerate ether based starting fluids (e.g. engines with glow plugs).

Maybe WD 40 wet BP will bhquite effective as a propulsion source.

I kinda doubt that but don't feel terribly secure in my doubt.

Dutch

WD 40 is definatatly flammable. It has been used as a starting fluid in cold, un-coopertive Diesel engines that cannot tolerate ether based starting fluids (e.g. engines with glow plugs).

I have used WD 40 over the years to deactivate primers in unwanted cartridge ammunition.

what do you use to swab between multiple shots? I was using a cotton bore swab like you get in most gun cleaning kits but it seems to get caked up quick. Suggestions or pics of items homemade or store bought.
If you are getting a lot of fouling, you may not have your patches wet enough. Use a grease patch only if the gun is to be left loaded for a long time (hunting0. If you are shooting a lot of shots with wet patches, you shouldn't get any build-up because the bore gets swabbed each time you load. If, for some reason, I find it necessary to swab (because my patches got dry), I usually load first, then spit up a really soggy patch, and swab the barrel down to the ball. Doing it this way does not risk wetting the chamber area. do not cap or cock while you are doing this.

When I am hunting I load with a greased patch. I carry two cane speed loaders for shot 2 or 3 (deer hunting) the patches in those are greased too... second one can require a hard push... at the range where we introduce scouts and others to BP I keep a bottle of Mr. Flintlock and use soppy patches... shooting close to 100 rounds in a few hours I only swab once at lunch break. Probably spit would work as well, but I run out after a few shots......

For cleaning patchs at our club we use Dental wipes. Those small white patchs thy place along your gums for Bleeding. WE buy them by the case and they are packaged similar to Soda crackers. Around $40.00 per case here in Canada. Any dental supply will sell you a case. A case is around 40Packacts of made patchs. If its too think we slice in half. We split a case up among us all.

Back