• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A rifle that needs swabbed after every shot on a woodswalk??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthFork

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What to do with all the patches??

So my new .45 rifle needs swabbed after every shot to remove a nasty crud ring or seating pressure varies and fliers occur. Swab after every shot and it is accurate. Powder does not matter. Shuetzen fffg, Goex fffg, or Pyrodex P. Powder amount does not matter. 30grs to 80grs. Lube does not matter. Spit, TOTW mink tallow, Wonderlube, 1970's formula FFG lube, Crisco, etc. A crud ring developes after every shot making seating the next patched ball very hard. I get a max of 3 shots then wild fliers develope. If I use a spit patch cut at muzzle and if I swab with spit after every shot, no fliers. Great accuracy, both off a rest and offhand. I've found that 1 spit soaked patch then 1 dry patch run up and down and flipped and run up and down again work well. This is duplicatable every time vs shooting more than 3 times with no swabbing with any powder, any lube.

This is strictly a target rifle to be used at the longrifle club I belong to, and to attend woodwalks at other clubs. I shoot this rifle VERY well offhand and will be competitive next year compared to what I'm shooting now. My current woodswalk rifle is gaining weight and getting bit heavy to hold steady after 15 or so shots. Soooooo......what to do with 40 cleaning patches, give or take???? 18 to 25 targets, let's round to 20, that's 40 dirty patches to do something with. If it was a matter of cleaning with 3-4 patches halfway in the round, I'd say throw 'em on the ground. Everyone else does for that matter. But not everyone swabs EVERY shot. They will rot in. But I'm not throwing on average 40 patches on the ground! This is not ecologically driven. Cotton patches will rot away. This is a litter problem. I've never been to a woodswalk that has a trash can at every target. What would you do? I'm sure there is an easy solution.

A new barrel can be rough and edgy at the rifling grooves. Fouling can collect excessively as a result.

Maybe a good buffing with some scotchbrite on a sub caliber jag and/or some polishing compound on a patch could make the bore slicker and less apt to collect fouling so much. My GPR was a rough bastard to load until I scrubbed the bore with scotchbrite and it loads easy now.

A new barrel can be rough and edgy at the rifling grooves. Fouling can collect excessively as a result.

Maybe a good buffing with some scotchbrite on a sub caliber jag and/or some polishing compound on a patch could make the bore slicker and less apt to collect fouling so much. My GPR was a rough bastard to load until I scrubbed the bore with scotchbrite and it loads easy now.
Barrel is suprisingly smooth as silk. No cut patches.

Try some moose milk, and leave your patches pretty wet.
Judging by temporary marks on range rod, the crud seems to form right at the top of the powder column and where the ball contacts the powder. Maybe a 1/4" in length. I'm not sure that lube, ANY lube can cure this. I know this seems trival, but this rifle has drove me bonkers until I realized that I was fighting the crud to seat the ball. As soon as I started swabbing between shots to eliminate the crud before loading, ALL the fliers ceased. I was getting 3 shots touching at 50 yards benched, sometimes 2 in one enlarged hole, and then at least one if not two wild fliers in the group of five before I field cleaned the barrel and tried something else.

I like @deerstalkert idea of some sort of a small bag (maybe 3"x5"?) to hang off my possibles strap to shove dirty patches into. I have a bunch of thin dark brown leather pieces I can easily sew into a small pouch.

At the 'home club' I know I can get away with swabbing between shots (time type issue), the others I just don't know. When I swab between shots, I have literally never shot ANY rifle as good as this one offhand. I want to make this work!

Lots of period clothes had pockets and a belt pouch would also hold them.........

But that does not solve the problem, you should not need them in the first place.
I agree. I really do. I despise swabbing between shots! There is no problem running the prb down the bore with any lube and a .440" + .010" or .015", or .018" patches. Same for a .445" + .010, or a .012". A .445 and .015" patch is simply too tight to start and ram. A .440" + .018" is really tight but do-able. I get the best accuracy from .445" and .012". Lube does not seem to matter one lick on accuracy or effort needed to ram. The crud ring is there no matter what ball, patch, or lube is used. I have also used CCI #11, RWS 1075, and my homemade caps. This also made no difference.

Latest posts

Back