• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about a ring around the barrel.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 54092

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Allow me to start with a word of background, the rifle was bought new and has been exhibiting what I'm about to say since day 1.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to swab his barrel between shots. What became immediately apparent is that there is a spot in the barrel where the resistance to the patch increases then abates as the point is passed. As if a ring has formed within the barrel. If I swab a clean barrel it isn't there, only after shooting. I have a therory but would like to hear what others may think, I've always used olive oil as a lube. The last is what my theory is based on. I'd have to chew leaf to get enough spit, and I gave that up years ago.😁

Some of us call it the 'crud ring', that area or distance down the barrel where 'hot' BP fouling builds up and starts to deposit or adhere to the bore walls. I had a 42" smoothie barrel that was notorious for it, but it never affected the loading or shooting ... it was just something I observed.

The effect can differ due to different granulation of BP, lube, patch and pacing/frequency of shooting et al, if occur at all ...

I see this particularly with my M1842 .69 smoothbore. There is a point in the barrel where you get some crud buildup and you can feel it when swabbing the bore in between relays. Does not seem to affect accuracy.

I get a little extra crud buildup in a spot in the barrel where there's a couple pits in the grooves. Lands are fine, so no cut patches or problems with accuracy, but fouling clings to the pits. After 10 or so shots it gets harder to load, but cleans up with a swab or two.

Always good to hear a problem is common place and of no consequence.

I theorized the oil on my patch started cooking upon firing and the ring represented the point at which it went from cooking to burning.

As the others have said and you may want to change lube. I have recently tryed the Dawn soap mixed with water and found it to work better than I expected. What ever it leaves in the barrel isn’t a ring of anything I can feel when loading.

Allow me to start with a word of background, the rifle was bought new and has been exhibiting what I'm about to say since day 1.

I'm the kind of guy who likes to swab his barrel between shots. What became immediately apparent is that there is a spot in the barrel where the resistance to the patch increases then abates as the point is passed. As if a ring has formed within the barrel. If I swab a clean barrel it isn't there, only after shooting. I have a therory but would like to hear what others may think, I've always used olive oil as a lube. The last is what my theory is based on. I'd have to chew leaf to get enough spit, and I gave that up years ago.😁
Well it could actually be a ringed barrel (enlarged) from a short start or conical sliding up bore off the powder charge. I did this very thing with a TC .50cal about 8 inches in from the muzzle. I was hunting with a Maxie ball and carried the loaded gun all day under my arm muzzle tilted downward to keep the rain out. The maxi worked forward and when I shot it out it ringed the bore.
I didn't even know I had done it until the next range session when I couldn't even keep the shots on the target from a previously very accurate barrel at 100 yards.
I could actually see the enlargement rng on the exterior of the barrel when looking down it in good sun light !

Well it could actually be a ringed barrel (enlarged) from a short start or conical sliding up bore off the powder charge.
What you propose is true and can happed, however …

If you read the OP’s complaint carefully, he said it was both a brand new barrel and that it disappears after being cleaned; it only appears after being shot.

As the others have said and you may want to change lube.
Not so sure it’s the lube. Shooting 45 caliber paperpatched (no lube) 400 grain conicals with a dry felt (Durofelt) over 80 to 90 grains of 3F Swiss I get ‘crud ring’ near where the base of the bullet sits on the powder that I can feel with the tight patch and jag. Doesn’t impact accuracy and it wipes away with one pass of an alcohol or moose milk solvent dampened patch. There is also a crud ring with other powders.

What you propose is true and can happed, however …

If you read the OP’s complaint carefully, he said it was both a brand new barrel and that it disappears after being cleaned; it only appears after being shot.
But before that part he said when loading it became immediately apparent that a tight spot was passed in the bore. I'm sure he is assuming this is only a rough spot in the bore from reaming or rifling that is hooking fouling but it could also be a pressure ring enlargement causing the trouble when the patched ball engages the off side of the ring after passing the swelled area. Hopefully this is not the trouble but it should be checked.

I'm sorry, a tad confusing I'll clarify, no ring present until after a round goes downrange. I'm also using a patched ball. Ring goes away with swabbing.
The patch I was referring to was the swab patch not the patched ball.

Last edited:
50 cal, any charge (to be more precise I've only fired 60 and 70 grains through it, 4f).

If using 4F as the main charge, I would start there and try 3F or 2F. The finer powder may be creating the crud ring, it burns faster than larger granulations and builds pressure more quickly.
Maybe someone with more expertise will say that much 4F could be unsafe, but as a general practice it isn't used for the main charge.

Latest posts

Back