• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Teflon as a patch lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting. I still hold to the opinion that the kind of patch lube we use makes no or very little difference in accuracy. But I yield to those with more experience. It is the thickness that matters, IMO. There is nothing new under the sun.
Agreed 👍

Mike in CO

Have any of you tried using dry Graphite powder as patch lube or is that impractical? This also made me wonder about rubbing alcohol as a patch lube, at least if you're shooting quickly.

graphite makes a terrible mess. the purpose of lube is to keep fouling soft.
actually many people use alcohol or windex for a swab and maybe a lube.
i just don't see me using anything but what i have. bear fat and bees wax.
that little bear i borrowed the fat from was a slippery fellow so i guess i could call him Teflon and be in with the cool crowd.

The cream that breastfeeding mothers use with lanolin in it works good. It’s expensive though.

The thing I don't like about the idea of using Teflon is now you've got micro-particles of a forever chemical going everywhere

Very interesting. I still hold to the opinion that the kind of patch lube we use makes no or very little difference in accuracy. But I yield to those with more experience. It is the thickness that matters, IMO. There is nothing new under the sun.
I’m with you regarding patch thickness / ball diameter contributing to accuracy as opposed to a magic lube
….what ever is being used on a patch as “lube”/flame retardant/fouling softener/“bore conditioner“ most certainly shouldn’t be anything that can readily charge its properties at different temperatures or dries out…..( crisco, spit,evaporating solvents)
Do this long enough and you’ll likely settle on some version of Ballistol soaked dry patches…(add a little white boron nitride HBN to it)…if for no other reason it’s clean and works as well as or better than everything else.

My only question about using Teflon is, what's left in the bore when burned?? BP is bad enough to clean. :(

Oh this is so cheating, I love it.
I have LSA from the 70s that has teflon in it.
Been lubing with it (modern) since the 70s.

My question is where does one get sheets of this?
I would think Buffalo Arms would stock it. 👍

The Minute Man used to sell Teflon ticking but I haven't seen the website in a while. He may be the one with the health problems.

With all due respect to the fellow who was shooting Teflon and made this claim, more coefficient of friction will increase velocity. But, regardless, I'd not debate whether his methodology results in good scores. 😀
The Minute Men (Jerry Devaudreiul) passed away a few years ago. Also believe his son has as well. No more Minute Men stuff.

The Log Cabin in Lodi OH has a few yards of Teflon patching from The Minute Men (Jerry DeVaudreiul) for sale. I do not know of anyone currently offering it for sale so if you need it there you go.

Latest posts

Back