• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Shootin' Contest Round 4 July

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
We're startin' to get this thing narrowed down a bit. :grin:

Round 4 Match-ups;

Fresh Meat Bracket: (is gettin' slim)

fat jack vs. Jim/OH
410-er vs. grey whiskers
Halftail vs. Mountainman56

Wounded Bracket:

BakeovenBill vs. mykeal
flaming canvas vs. jethro224
RC vs. CZMark
grzrob vs. bucktales
breechplug vs. Zemenar
HFD60 vs. wirehairman
PeteD vs. tg
Dan-L vs. Plink

No byes this round. We finally got an even number in both brackets. :grin: Good Luck!

"Wow, thanks Skunkskinner, I must be the luckiest Fusil shooting, far right,overly opinionated curmudgeon in this contest, I was sure when I let the barrel drop on Sundays shot I was finished. Somwhow I gotta work out that problem of the ball not going to the place I was aiming at at the time I pull the trigger after I pull the trigger."

I was'nt to sure abought letting my shot info go public, but what the hell, I missed the 4' X 4' sheet of plywood that the paper was pinned to :redface:

My excuse is....My Bess does not have a double set trigger. I have only been shooting rifles with double set triggers here lately :hmm:

Thats the best excuse I could come up with :rotf:

I don't know if anyone noticed but the groups ALL guys are shooting are pretty good.Wonder how many centerfire rifle hunter would fare against any one of us? :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Hey Mountainman56,
Looking forward to "Tradin Powder" with ya!I got lucky so far but it's bound to run out. :) Good luck to ye! :v

Watch out for that feller, Halftail. He's a crack shot! He shot me right off my horse last time! :rotf:

Mountainman56, great shot. Congrats! I still think it woulda been more fun if'n we coulda got together to take our shots.

410-er said:
Wonder how many centerfire rifle hunter would fare against any one of us?

Had my rifle at work the other day and a local cop asked about it's accuracy. I told him that I could match anything he had at 50 yards, offhand with open sights. He wasn't about to take me up on it. :grin:

Hey good luck to ya in this round, 410er. :thumbsup: GW

Good shootin grzrob. :hatsoff:
I'll have to wait till the end of the month to shoot at ya.
Crossin the big pond in a couple of days for some R&R..

410-er said:
I don't know if anyone noticed but the groups ALL guys are shooting are pretty good.Wonder how many centerfire rifle hunter would fare against any one of us? :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

For a bunch of Curmudgeons, I'd think we'd fare well. :rotf:

On my behalf, there was no skill involved. Just luck was all it was. :redface: With my eyes i'm lucky to get the muzzle pointed down range!! :shake:

410-er said:
well, ya know,..... there's ALWAYS an exception... :redface: (or, that mean I'm exceptional?) :confused: ................................ :haha:

fat jack said:
On my behalf, there was no skill involved. Just luck was all it was. :redface: With my eyes i'm lucky to get the muzzle pointed down range!! :shake:

Where have I herd that one before?I know another older fella that I shoot with that uses that same excuse....Fat Jack you sure you aint from Nova Scotia? :grin:

Halftail said:
fat jack said:

Where have I herd that one before?I know another older fella that I shoot with that uses that same excuse....Fat Jack you sure you aint from Nova Scotia? :grin:
:grin: Hey !.........I resemble that remark :blah: :blah:

soggy said:
Halftail said:
fat jack said:

:grin: Hey !.........I resemble that remark :blah: :blah:
really bad excuse soggy..you died...
sSa_cry4.gif

Halftail said:
Hey Mountainman56,
Looking forward to "Tradin Powder" with ya!I got lucky so far but it's bound to run out. :) Good luck to ye! :v

Lookin forward to it myself Halftail. Good luck to ya. Two Canucks shootin against each other out of six left in the fresh meat bracket, go figure. Course I've been kinda mericanized in the last 10 years but the first 42 years in Canada still show through......eh. I gave my old rifle a treat yesterday lettin her shoot that old hog. Maybe she'll reward me with another one of them sub-1 inch groups. Now THAT was luck. Too bad I never got to use it.

DanL you'd best watch out for that Plink. When we traded shots I think the difference was less than 1/10". Just plain luck on my part that I didn't get kilt.

No but my great grandad was!! His dad was a fisherman, he was jack of all trades. :thumbsup:

I may have to shoot mine kind of early this time
due to a busy last of the month. How much powder
do I have to put in a Rice .54 to get over the pond? Unless you are talking about old man Kelsey's pond I may have to get another measure!
Talk about shooting our traditional flints against modern guns, I can't resist this story!
Last month I was sighting in my new rifle gun. I
used a rest and was shooting at 100 yards. I had to do a few light strokes of the file to get the 100 yard sight picture I wanted. I put up the biggest target they had backwards and placed a .22 target dead center of the big target. This just gave me a small black aiming spot in the center of a sea of white. My first two shots were low. So after a few small file strokes on the front sight I placed two shots almost touching, six oclock right under the 3 inch black but well into the smaller target. My work done here I took the rifle to the 50 yard line and started shooting at a small steel pipe I had hung from a target frame. About that time three Charlotte NC police officers showed up. They were nice guys who had never seen a flintlock! So I loaded it for them and let then shoot it at a big plate at 50 yards. I was standing there shooting at the smaller target and they were shooting at big paper targets at 50 yards from a rest. They were
using AR-15 type carbines. I did not look through
their spotting scopes but I could see plenty of little holes in the white at 50 yards. One of them walked down to the other end of the shed where I had done my bench work. He looked through my spotting scope and hollered to his buddies, Come down here and look at what this guy shot at 100 yards with a flintlock!!! My 50 yard work was done so I tied a bowling pin on the target frame at 100 yards for some 100 yard offhand practise
at a target I could see. While I was doing this the Policemen were placing around 10 bowling pins
on the 50 yard backstop. They were going to shoot these pins and the one who knocked down the lowest number of pins bought lunch. They missed a bunch and everytime I fired my flintlock my pin at 100 yards jumped. Jethro can attest I am a fellow who likes lunch ( he ain't ever seen me eat but he see ME! ) So I asked these fellows if I can play...can you believe the guys would not let me play... :thumbsup:

Now that's a cool story. :haha:
You might need a couple of extra grains of powder and some elevation if you aim at SE Germany.
If you catch some Gulf Stream, that may give ya the kicker you need. :blah:

Mountainman56 said:
Halftail said:
Hey Mountainman56,

Lookin forward to it myself Halftail. Good luck to ya. Two Canucks shootin against each other out of six left in the fresh meat bracket, go figure. Course I've been kinda mericanized in the last 10 years but the first 42 years in Canada still show through......eh. I gave my old rifle a treat yesterday lettin her shoot that old hog. Maybe she'll reward me with another one of them sub-1 inch groups. Now THAT was luck. Too bad I never got to use it.

DanL you'd best watch out for that Plink. When we traded shots I think the difference was less than 1/10". Just plain luck on my part that I didn't get kilt.

Well Geeze Mountainman,
You spent one more year in Canada than I have so far... :grin: Two Canadians shootin at each other ,don't hardly seem right.Maybe we could have a Hockey game or something?Perhaps a game of "caps" ...you know the Beer drinkin kind. :grin:
Anyolhow.....Good luck and good shootin! :v

Back