• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I have been using some CVA #11 caps that I have had at least 20 years and I still have at least 200 of them . I also have some Remington #11's about the same age. All working good. I bought some CCI'S LAST fall just to try them and they work good.

I just noticed that Winchester makes a Magnum #11cap. I live in West Tennessee and the winters are not that cold here so I don't think I would need a hotter cap. So for you guys that are using them what is the reason .

I don't think they're meant for cold weather per se. A bit more flash/bang really. I bought some CCI magnum # 11 caps a while back. Personally, I don't see a huge difference between them and the regular # 11's.
I do know of a few guys that won't use anything but the magnums.

The Magnum caps were made for guns that are loaded with a synthetic black powder.
These powders need more heat to get them to burn than real black powder does.

Some people just like the idea of using a cap that has more power. Hunters especially who want to make sure the first shot will fire every time. Others who have one of the newly factory made guns that have a long flame channel connecting the bottom of the nipple with the breech have noticed they get fewer misfires when they use Magnum caps.
Actually there has been a "Magnum" cap around for a long time. It wasn't called a Magnum but anyone who has used it knows there is a lot more bang and flames coming from the cap when it fires. These caps are the RWS 1075 caps made by Dynamite Nobel in Germany.

While i use any and all caps for target shooting I use only the RWS 1075 for hunting as I believe they are less sensitive to moisture. Ohio's deer season is known for cold wet rain!.

The Magnum caps were made for guns that are loaded with a synthetic black powder.
These powders need more heat to get them to burn than real black powder does.

Some people just like the idea of using a cap that has more power. Hunters especially who want to make sure the first shot will fire every time. Others who have one of the newly factory made guns that have a long flame channel connecting the bottom of the nipple with the breech have noticed they get fewer misfires when they use Magnum caps.
Actually there has been a "Magnum" cap around for a long time. It wasn't called a Magnum but anyone who has used it knows there is a lot more bang and flames coming from the cap when it fires. These caps are the RWS 1075 caps made by Dynamite Nobel in Germany.
Due to availability, Dynamit Nobel caps are the only caps I’ve used with my shotgun. I think I would like to try something else because these caps tear themselves to shreds and when I shot my left barrel, it was pretty rough on my left arm. I even wore long sleeves, but when I went to shoot, I was focused on shooting and my wrist peeked out from under my sleeve and took some shrapnel. No blood, but uncomfortable.

I had a rifle set up with drum and nipple that had about a 3% misfire rate with regular caps. The RWS or magnum caps gave me 100% ignition. OTOH, I got groups about 50% larger when i substituted RWS cap in my ROA, shot from a Ransom. You just have to try to see what works, or in times of limited availability (like now), you try to see how you can make what you find work.

The Winchester caps are manufactured by CCI.
Apparently, according to CCI Winchester caps are not made by CCI.

I just received this email from CCI.
"Winchester makes their own products in this regard and with that they will have the same dimensions for fit as one another as a #10 cap is still a #10 cap".
Thanks,
Cody B./Technical Service Rep.
CCI/Speer/Alliant
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501
(866)286-7436

Cody is wrong about cap sizing. Maybe he's wrong about who makes them too. Maybe they just want us to believe that they make them.

Winchester caps are not very popular and i've never seen them recommended. Is it profitable for them to make them?

I bought a dozen or so tins of Winchester Mag caps a few years back from two stores a thousand miles apart. I cannot tell any difference in grouping when shooting offhand with four different rifles. I don't recall a single missfire with them that wasn't shooter related. They are at least equivalent to the CCI's I've used since the early 80's. I'd certainly buy them again without a second thought.

I started using CCI magnum caps when I acquired a rifle with a very long nipple. Must be an inch long. In the notes that came with the rifle he mentions many hangfires. Shoots good for me magnum or regular caps. I can't tell much difference but I use the magnums just in case.

Due to availability, Dynamit Nobel caps are the only caps I’ve used with my shotgun. I think I would like to try something else because these caps tear themselves to shreds and when I shot my left barrel, it was pretty rough on my left arm. I even wore long sleeves, but when I went to shoot, I was focused on shooting and my wrist peeked out from under my sleeve and took some shrapnel. No blood, but uncomfortable.

Thinking you may need a set of new nipples. If the thru hole is shot out, it will allow too much gas to escape and frag the caps like you describe

The RWS caps do blow apart. They're the strongest caps we can buy now. The CCI mag cap is 25% stronger than the regular CCI cap. The RWS cap is 50% stronger than the regular CCI cap.

When it started in muzzle loading many years ago i used the magnum caps thinking i need the hottest spark to be reliable. The worked great but i noticed the wood area around the nipple was being charred. I went to non magnums an have not noticed it happening.

George

When it started in muzzle loading many years ago i used the magnum caps thinking i need the hottest spark to be reliable. The worked great but i noticed the wood area around the nipple was being charred. I went to non magnums an have not noticed it happening.

George

First, I use Triple 7 in all my rifles -- Hawkens, Kentucky, Enfield and my new Zouave (all Pedersoli). So I have a lot of experience with #11 magnum caps, I learned very quickly that regular CCI 11's would not reliably ignite 50-80 grains of T7. CCI or Winchester Mag 11s both work equally well for me. I have some RWS 1075s too but have not used them yet.

Second: as to the wood-charring issue, it bugged me too, especially on the really gorgeous walnut of my new Zouave. (Obviously musket caps seem to be much hotter than standard #11 caps). So, I carefully applied 5 coats of clear polyurethane finish to the areas of wood behind and under the nipple flash area -- which results in a very good layer of protection for the wood. The cap char wipes off the polyurethane with little effort and protects the wood underneath.

Latest posts

Back