• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nkbj Do you have a die for making the cups? We need to start with that. Even the cap maker die can stand some mods to make it work better. A lot has been said about making caps that work right here.

I get so aggravated with my local Sportsman’s Warehouse store. Since they’ve been open, I have never seen Caps here. Not even a place on the shelf for them. I really don’t think the guys that work in the gun department know what percussion caps are. I ask him where the spot on the shelf for them is. He said when their stock is empty, they remove everything from that location. Signs etc. I do not believe that. I hear other people on this forum talking about, their local sportsman’s warehouse stores carrying caps but not here in Florida at my local store anyway.
But yet they stock gold panning equipment. Who knew we had so much gold here??
Most of those big box stores only carry modern muzzleloading manure. If you don't see traditional muzzleloaders in stock you probably won't find traditional supplies. Wall Mart seems to be the exception in some places.

Most of those big box stores only carry modern muzzleloading manure. If you don't see traditional muzzleloaders in stock you probably won't find traditional supplies. Wall Mart seems to be the exception in some places.
Yes. I agree. But I hear others on here saying they’re getting caps at SW. it appears the store stocks the same times no matter where they are since I see lots of items here that are mainly used up north.
Plus, I was shocked to see they carry things like Ted Cash cappers. But yes. They only have modern guns.

Kelvinator, those look very similar to some Italian caps I bought in the '90s. Mine are #10 and I got them for my Remington revolver. I still have alot. The #11s would fall off the nipples each time I would fire, even after pinching them. Those caps eliminated that problem. They are a very tight fit and I use a small needle nose to remove them--no problem. And I have never had a misfire with them.

I got lucky yesterday n picked up 2 tins in Dexter , Mo. Maulmart #11 at .$5.62. I asked Manager if he had anymore. He told me he had put out a case of them on Monday, & i got the last 2 tins. Just in one day a case was sold out. None in Mtn. Grove, Mo. Nor in Mansfield, Mo.

Back when a local gunstore was going out of business, I bought all of his remaining stock on the day after he closed. I got two boxes (1000 each) of CCI and there was 8 tins in a third box. I broke them down into smaller lots and vacuum sealed them because my storage can get humid. They have worked every time so far, other than an Invest arms with a fat nipple that required two strikes until I put it in the lathe and smartened it up some.

Attachments

• IMG_5107.JPG
    IMG_5107.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
I gotta make a trip to Walmart and see what they have. Was in there a couple weeks ago and nothing. Went to a sporting goods store yesterday. They have Remington caps but they want $10.00 per tin. I don't need any that bad so I'll wait and see if Wally World gets some in.

I gotta make a trip to Walmart and see what they have. Was in there a couple weeks ago and nothing. Went to a sporting goods store yesterday. They have Remington caps but they want $10.00 per tin. I don't need any that bad so I'll wait and see if Wally World gets some in.
They were going for $7.xx a tin here BEFORE 2020 at Cabelas (who has not had any to this day since) and now they are $9.99 at Scheels (only place I have been able to find them).
I wish I could get back east and cash in on some of those Wally Mart buys!

Our area Walmarts get their sporting goods delivered on Tuesdays so Tuesday afternoons is a good time to check. Since there are four in our family who shoot I bought eight tins and left two for the next guy.

I'd love to see them at $5.62! Just got some in NJ, magnum CCI's at $14.95! Will keep checking any rural Wally Marts for caps; they don't sell them too close to big cities.

A couple questions for those utilizing the #11 die from 22Reloader. Have you experienced any wear from use over time? In other words how many caps can we expect to get out of a die before it might need replacing or resharpening if it is possible? Also, is there any perceived reduction in potency of the mixture over time? Assuming proper storage, If I make caps today will they ignite the powder the same 1 or more years later? Is there a shelf life on the mix once combined that anyone may have noticed? I have made caps with the kit but am trying to learn from those that have been doing it longer. Thanks in advance for the information!

You are asking the right questions. Wear has not been a problem for me. I have my die set on a reloading press. A really bad press at that. In the last almost two years I have made around 20,000 double wall pop can caps. Several hundred brass cups too. No dulling has been noted . The press action is gentile on the teeth edges. I would not be hard to sharpen the teeth if it becomes needed. I did expand the punch teeth outward to better fit the die body. The bigger hazard with the punch is dropping it and screwing up the teeth. I use the FA-42 formula( the same as the 22 reloader). I have all the power I could want. Works with Pyrodex as good as BP. Some caps I have are four years old . Still work well and no duds. The powder stays put too

Both Remington and CCI are owned by Vista Outdoors inc.
My preference is RWS but I take what I can get. Stopped at our wallyworld and askif they had #11. They showed inventory but could not find them.
I suspect they are doing as they did 22s ammo a few years back, employees taking them to the flea market on weekends.

Both Remington and CCI are owned by Vista Outdoors inc.
My preference is RWS but I take what I can get. Stopped at our wallyworld and askif they had #11. They showed inventory but could not find them.
I suspect they are doing as they did 22s ammo a few years back, employees taking them to the flea market on weekends.
I had that same issue at Scheels; web showed they had them and first guy checked in back and told me some must have them in their cart (Second time I was told that) BUT just as I was leaving a woman asked me "Finding everything okay?" I told her No, this was my second time in, website says you have them but you dont. Well, she checked her phone and said "We have them, I just saw them. We have a whole box. I know where 'the guys' are hiding them, wait here"
She returned with a whole case in hand and said there was a "Whole box, upstairs in the back".
I took what I needed and took note of her name tag, it said "Pet Department Manager".
She gave me her business card and told me to "Just ask for me next time"

$9.99/tin

There should be a whole taught course on the best ways to do this.
Someone, please, start the thread.
Look around on this forum. I and several others have logged our experiences. Plenty of YouTube stuff too. It's easy and I ain't going back to store-bought caps if I can help it. Shortages, schmortages. They work better too.

I have been useing home made caps for 2 1/2 years. I find them more powerful than production caps. More corrosive but what do we shoot that isn’t! I set the unit on my drill press and use a slow steady motion so I don’t punch through the aluminum flashing, I get more good than bad that way. Yes I use alum. roof flashing, heavier than folded coke cans just slow down a bit after the first punch threw and easy on the next part till the cap is formed. After a few you get the hang of it and will know when the forming part is being done to ease into it. Mix a tripple batch of the charge and fill 50 caps, then use a 50/50 mix of white rain hair spray (the pump spritzer kind) and acetone, one drop into each cap dry over night ready to go. No fall outs and a bit of water proofing to boot. Not a miss yet!
coupe

Back