• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is probably a store-by-store decision by the home office if sales would warrant carrying the black powder section or if they have the space available. At least that was the way it was when I used to manage a big box store. I had hunting guns, ammo, camouflage stuff and black powder guns and the stores in more urban settings did not or had a very small selection. They could not even order it if it was not on their plan.
I realize this “Apples to Oranges”, but when I was a Radio Shack store manager, there was two stock systems. ”Auto-Replenishment” where the ‘mothership’ sent what you sold the previous week, plus what they thought would trend in your store. “Discretionary“ was what I could order on my own (I.E, I ordered up on cell phones as our town got its first tower).

20+ years ago I had a friend on TMMH tell me about Hot Shot nipples. During that time Nebraska winters were fairly wet and standard #11’s with a regular nipple resulted in a LOT of educated deer. Hot shot made a huge difference, and when I switched to CCI #11 magnums, all problems went away regardless of precipitation. I’m going to put the different stores/different prices to test. One Walmart had CCIs at $8. I have another store close that’s out by the interstate that my brother swears by. Hopefully they value outdoorsman a bit more than the city Walmart does.

My local sporting goods store is always stocked up with ammo and caps because they are so overpriced. It's $11 for a can of CCI number 11s. I still ended up buying 10 cans. I put them away and I use my homemade caps. I will always have percussion caps in reserve now. I always use store-bought caps on my revolvers because I am concerned about Chainfire

What are your thoughts about .230 musket homemade percussion caps? There is #1081 musket cap maker available on the market. Does someone make homemade caps for percussion muskets?

I use my homemade caps on my revolvers. No chainfires for me. Many have been using them for years now. I haven't heard of chainfires from anybody using homemade caps. I did have one many years ago, using my 1851 euroarms. one chamber fired next to the one inline with the barrel. Used Remmington no10s at that time. I'm now using .005 brass for my revolver caps. They don't jam and no fragments. Can even be reused if desired.

I bought a few from Grafs during the sale to add to the Remingtons that I have. I also have plenty of small pistol primer and the tubing to hold them on the nipple. The testing I did with the small pistol primers was 100% successful. If I ran out of caps I would be perfectly content with the pistol primers. I find them easier to install on the nipple too. And easier to find if you drop one.
Does the anvel in the sml pistol primer get stuck in the hole of the nipple?

I was gifted some caps from my Dad this weekend that were part of my Granddads stash.
They are probably from the 80's or 90's sometime.
Got 7 full plastic "tins", hope they work, I'm gonna give them a try.

Attachments

• PC1.jpg
    PC1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PC2.jpg
    PC2.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PC3.jpg
    PC3.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 0
kelvinator Yes they will work. Mine fit too tight on # 11 nipples. I filed one down for my rifle. Powerfull and can set off any powder. They tend to stick on the nipple and are hard to remove. Corrosive ,you have to clean and protect the gun really well. If they were mine I would use them. They were once very cheap. About $5 for a thousand

kelvinator Yes they will work. Mine fit too tight on # 11 nipples. I filed one down for my rifle. Powerfull and can set off any powder. They tend to stick on the nipple and are hard to remove. Corrosive ,you have to clean and protect the gun really well. If they were mine I would use them. They were once very cheap. About $5 for a thousand
Great info n.h., thanks! I did test fit a couple on my rifle and they are indeed more of a snug fit than the garden variety #11's.
Duly noted on the corrosive.
$5 for a thousand... wow, them days are gone eh?

Making Homemade caps are almost like work, but so is driving distances to attempt at finding factory. I bought the 22 sharpshooter kit last year and haven't looked back. I use them on my rifle and 58 Remington repo.
There should be a whole taught course on the best ways to do this.
Someone, please, start the thread.

I use my homemade caps on my revolvers. No chainfires for me. Many have been using them for years now. I haven't heard of chainfires from anybody using homemade caps. I did have one many years ago, using my 1851 euroarms. one chamber fired next to the one inline with the barrel. Used Remmington no10s at that time. I'm now using .005 brass for my revolver caps. They don't jam and no fragments. Can even be reused if desired.
Please, you guys start an on line teaching of how to make them.

I have been finding the CCI's at Wally's as of late. I've gotten 6 tins from 2 different stores in my area. I've only found #10's once, so I put slixshots on both of my revolvers. The owner of the shop where I bought my 51 Navy says he can't get 10's at all.

Up here in Canada if you can find them CCI #11" are $20.00 Canadian per tin of 100. That is $15.20 USD, Black Powder (Real BP, Not the substitute) is $50.00 to $60.00 Can a pound, that is $38.00 to $46.00 USD, and 0.375 lead balls are $16.00 Canadian which translates to $12.15 USD.

Stuff is a little pricey up here.:mad:
You should flee Canada.

I get so aggravated with my local Sportsman’s Warehouse store. Since they’ve been open, I have never seen Caps here. Not even a place on the shelf for them. I really don’t think the guys that work in the gun department know what percussion caps are. I ask him where the spot on the shelf for them is. He said when their stock is empty, they remove everything from that location. Signs etc. I do not believe that. I hear other people on this forum talking about, their local sportsman’s warehouse stores carrying caps but not here in Florida at my local store anyway.
But yet they stock gold panning equipment. Who knew we had so much gold here??

Last edited:
Wal-Mart in Butte doesn't have any but Scheels in Missoula does.
Prime all makes it easy as pie.

Latest posts

Back