• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI # 11 Magnum Cap Not Fitting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for clarification, I originally thought it was a fit issue but it has since been confirmed by CCI for my specific lot that it was a moisture issue in the bang bang material. The full response is above. I do expect to place a factory cap over a factory nipple, drop the hammer, and see smoke. If not, one of the two are incorrect. I’ve always been able to do this with my percussion gun and CCI caps so it’s validated that it can be expected at least for that combo. I incorrectly assumed cap fit on my original issue based on experience and what I was seeing. Case closed on this one.

Just for clarification, I originally thought it was a fit issue but it has since been confirmed by CCI for my specific lot that it was a moisture issue in the bang bang material. The full response is above. I do expect to place a factory cap over a factory nipple, drop the hammer, and see smoke. If not, one of the two are incorrect. I’ve always been able to do this with my percussion gun and CCI caps so it’s validated that it can be expected at least for that combo. I incorrectly assumed cap fit on my original issue based on experience and what I was seeing. Case closed on this one.

I understand you had a different issue in the end.

There were a number of comments related to cap fit in the replies.

I've said many times in the past that Vista Outdoors is no friend of the shooting community.

They put out one cobbled together trashy product after another.

And with them being the big boys in town, shooters have almost no way of avoiding their products.

And they make so much money on so much junk that they can afford to give a refund here and there.

P.S. Vortex Optics has a lifetime warranty on their products. I've had to return for a full refund two rifle scopes in one month. Vortex doesn't bat an eye at cutting checks. Because they're buying Chinese made garbage at a few bucks a unit and reselling that Chinese made garbage at 150 bucks a unit.
I am old enough to remember buying stuff at their one and only retail store. Archery tackle mostly.

Nipples are cheap. Apparently, so are you. It only makes sense to have a few in the pouch that will fit what you have. Just wear on the forming dies the caps are made on can change dimensions.
Proper statistical process control at CCI should point to a forming die wear problem before the lot goes to sale. That is, of course, if the die is the correct size to begin with.

My opinion on cap fit is find a nipple / cap combo that works because there is no real standard to dictate the size of the nipples and caps. Yes we have a general idea of the dimensions but there is a lot of variation among manufacturers. I found CCI #10 caps fit better on my Pietta cap and ball nipples so I stay with them (at least until they are scarce again and then start the search for a new combination).

I was out shooting the 58 REM the other day and some of the CCI primers weren’t going off I’d say one out of six just about every time was a no go, so I thought maybe it was one of the nipples but it wasn’t. They were the magnum Jobs I bought from Natchezs about 2 years ago, and I keep all my primers in vacuum seal a meal bags for storage . But I have never had a problem with Remington’s .

Remington 10 and 11 fire every time regardless if nipples clean or dirty. I recently picked up some RWS1075 (german) they fit and fire when Slixshots are clean but wont seat well when dirty, so it takes a full cycle of six misfires to seat them and then they fire. So i saving them for the next shortage. Sounds like the CCI which i never tried.
No, my mainspring isnt weak. The pistol is 4 months old, its the caps.

Last edited:
The fitment issue is in your head. A figment of your imagination. You're making up the problems with your CCI #11 primers.

Because CCI caps are perfect. Always have been. Always will be. Cuzz no one, ever, at any time, has ever had a single issue with CCI primers.

Of course, I'm joking. They're garbage now.

But stand by for the "There's Nothing Wrong With CCI Primers" comments.
Work for me ,fit the nipple and your good to go , cheap ones can go fast (25-30 shots ) with heavy conicals/charges. . Why I buy platinum nipples $70.00+ from BACO last forever but still need fitting/reducing to the cap (ANY CAP) !

The DIY #10 die fits new stock Pietta 58 perfect while Cci #11 magnums just fall off.
Some standardized something somewhere sometimes is nice sadly caps and nipples aint it.
😂

Does anyone who use RWS Caps know if the #10 RWS Caps are comparable in size to #10 Remingtons and are RWS #11Caps comparable in size to CCI #11, could ya let me know

I bought 1000 CCI mag caps a few years ago and still haven't used over about a couple hundred of them. I just don't shoot percussion much at all. But the caps were great in fit and in making the rifle go BOOM!

Why should the OP, or any of us, turn our #11 nipples into #10.9 nipples or 10.5 nipples. Then that nipple is useless with #11 primers that actually fit correctly.

Because the nipple is a $5 item and the caps are over $10 a tin. I'd be deleted to have a large stash of caps that were a little too tight, these days.

Why should the OP, or any of us, turn our #11 nipples into #10.9 nipples or 10.5 nipples. Then that nipple is useless with #11 primers that actually fit correctly.

Because the nipple is a $5 item and the caps are over $10 a tin. I'd be deleted to have a large stash of caps that were a little too tight, these days
Caps were not under sized. It was a moisture issue during mfg and cci refunded the full amount. Case closed. This thread is officially closed to all discussion related to cap or nipple size as ordered by me on this day, as witnessed by me, hereto and henceforth.

Caps were not under sized. It was a moisture issue during mfg and cci refunded the full amount. Case closed. This thread is officially closed to all discussion related to cap or nipple size as ordered by me on this day, as witnessed by me, hereto and henceforth.

Your starting this discussion was the start of it taking on a life of its own. As is normal in internet discussions, it goes where it wants, and none of us can really control that. Other side discussions only tangentially related have arisen, and they may be useful for someone else one day.

Edit: I completely agree on altering a nipple to fit caps that are available. They are cheap, you should have some spares around anyway, why not fit them to whatever caps are available? Its more fun to write about how bad the caps are and dont fit, but its a pretty simple solution. Nipples arent rare and precious.

Last edited:
Back