• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI # 11 Magnum Cap Not Fitting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok fellars, I have the answer!! In lot number F16D301 association with #11 magnum caps, the following occurred:
The tin manufacturer had an issue where they did not get full shellac coating on the upper rim of the tin above the ridge where the lid sits. This caused the chemical off gas from the caps to corrode that area during the drying process. That shellac coating is there to prevent it. Why did this cause an issue?
After the caps are placed in the tins, the lid is loosely placed on it to allow the caps inside to dry. There is residual moisture from the application of the priming material that must dry for the bang to happen. The afore mentioned corrosion caused a seal between the loose lid and tin such that the caps could not fully dry in the drying room.

In summary, CCI said it took 2-3 hits to get ignition due to the residual moisture, not because they were not fully seated on the nipple (apparently they were).

Their drying process in the tin with lid placed on loosely doesn’t make much sense to me but that’s what cci said, so let’s not debate that. I didn’t really see any tin coating issue or rust, but I’m not going to debate that either. Why doesn’t the uncoated interior of the tin not corrode during drying? Also not going to ponder over it.

CCI returned my call within four hours and they’re going to issue a full refund. The offending caps are not supposed to be “out there” anymore but they didn’t recall them so not sure how. He said it was only a small number of tins in one lot (lucky me) and they have about 7-8 reports on it. They’re changing the tins to put some small holes in the bottom for off gassing so look out for that. Sounds like not such a great idea to solve the issue or ideal for the end user to have holes in the tin but that’s what he said they’re doing. More caps should be hitting the market soon.

Long post but there ya go…. Don’t shoot the messenger. Just trying to pass on what CCI told me. I’ll be signing printed copies of this post at a book store near you!

Let me know when you have CCI all sorted out so I know when it’s safe to buy caps again
It was all sorted out several months ago.

I made the decision to never buy another CCI product.

Then I converted all of my rifles to accept musket caps.

And as luck would have it, or great quality control, that which CCI lacks, I didn't have to alter, grind, file, or reduce the diameter of my musket nipples to accept my properly made Schutzen musket caps.

Your turn.

Ok fellars, I have the answer!! In lot number F16D301 association with #11 magnum caps, the following occurred:
The tin manufacturer had an issue where they did not get full shellac coating on the upper rim of the tin above the ridge where the lid sits. This caused the chemical off gas from the caps to corrode that area during the drying process. That shellac coating is there to prevent it. Why did this cause an issue?
After the caps are placed in the tins, the lid is loosely placed on it to allow the caps inside to dry. There is residual moisture from the application of the priming material that must dry for the bang to happen. The afore mentioned corrosion caused a seal between the loose lid and tin such that the caps could not fully dry in the drying room.

In summary, CCI said it took 2-3 hits to get ignition due to the residual moisture, not because they were not fully seated on the nipple (apparently they were).

Their drying process in the tin with lid placed on loosely doesn’t make much sense to me but that’s what cci said, so let’s not debate that. I didn’t really see any tin coating issue or rust, but I’m not going to debate that either. Why doesn’t the uncoated interior of the tin not corrode during drying? Also not going to ponder over it.

CCI returned my call within four hours and they’re going to issue a full refund. The offending caps are not supposed to be “out there” anymore but they didn’t recall them so not sure how. He said it was only a small number of tins in one lot (lucky me) and they have about 7-8 reports on it. They’re changing the tins to put some small holes in the bottom for off gassing so look out for that. Sounds like not such a great idea to solve the issue or ideal for the end user to have holes in the tin but that’s what he said they’re doing. More caps should be hitting the market soon.

Long post but there ya go…. Don’t shoot the messenger. Just trying to pass on what CCI told me. I’ll be signing printed copies of this post at a book store near you!
Excellent post, OP.

Good that you got a full report and that you're getting a full refund.

And CCI left off the K in 7-8. That would be 7,000-8,000 reports.

They're getting reamed. And rightfully so.

Will high humidity effect the primers with little holes in the tins?

Excellent post, OP.

Good that you got a full report and that you're getting a full refund.

And CCI left off the K in 7-8. That would be 7,000-8,000 reports.

They're getting reamed. And rightfully so.

Will high humidity effect the primers with little holes in the tins?
Thanks. Already got the email to process the refund. Yea, I’ll be putting mine in a different container if the tins have holes.

"Will high humidity effect the primers with little holes in the tins?"

When RWS went to plastic "tins" for their musket caps they located a small hole in the bottom of the tin. They made the changeover years ago and have sold millions of caps since and I have never heard of or experienced any problems and that includes caps I have had in storage for years.

They have always been tight. Maybe 45-50 years ago a great cap #11 was sold by Dixie Gun Works. Fit great hot spark. CCI at that time we’re known to be tight.

And as luck would have it, or great quality control, that which CCI lacks, I didn't have to alter, grind, file, or reduce the diameter of my musket nipples to accept my properly made Schutzen musket caps.

Your turn.
Good for you.

Your turn.
You are right, years ago i stopped using the CCI perc. caps n went to a better made cap. Since the reduced amount that has been shipped Stateside i have also been going to musket caps from over the pond on the East Coast side.

CCI, Remington Ammunition, Federal and over 35 other outdoor sports related companies are owned by Vista Outdoors. They are now "branches", not individual companies. RCBS, Bolle, Bushnell, ....,etc.
I've said many times in the past that Vista Outdoors is no friend of the shooting community.

They put out one cobbled together trashy product after another.

And with them being the big boys in town, shooters have almost no way of avoiding their products.

And they make so much money on so much junk that they can afford to give a refund here and there.

P.S. Vortex Optics has a lifetime warranty on their products. I've had to return for a full refund two rifle scopes in one month. Vortex doesn't bat an eye at cutting checks. Because they're buying Chinese made garbage at a few bucks a unit and reselling that Chinese made garbage at 150 bucks a unit.

Last edited:
Through the years, I've acquired an assortment of percussion cap tins and caps - some well over 100 years old. From what I've fooled with, sizing of caps at times was confusing. "#11" or "#10" in different brands/dates of manufacture are actually different sizes. Even some more recently made are not the same.

The most noticeable difference is in the length, not the diameter. One old Goldmark tin is marked "for pistols" and the caps are shorter than others. I always assumed the shorter length enabled them to function in revolvers where nipples are not as long as rifle/shotgun nipples.

I bought several tins of CCI #11 caps (magnum and standard) recently. I have shot the magnums for years off a standard Lyman factory nipple on my gpr with no issues. Friday, I could get the cap on but it took 2-3 strikes to get it to go off. I could tell it was a fit issue since it was a bit smashed down after the first strike. Switched to a tin of the standard #11s bought at the same time and never had an issue. Nipple was replaced last year (with the same nipple from Lyman) due to the original finally flaring out. I’ve shot several CCI #11 magnums out of other tins with the new nipple with no issues.
So…anyone having any fit issues with recent CCI #11 magnum caps?
I thought it was just my nipple ive been having same issues with CCI #11 caps

Recently purchased a CCI can of #11s since my CCI #10s were too small. The #11s don't fit...why, because the #11s are the same size as the CCI #10s. Same diameter.... Calibers don't lie.
I Do wiring ..... so now snipping them to fit since I have no choice..... see BP Addict's pic, you'll get the idea.

I bought several tins of CCI #11 caps (magnum and standard) recently. I have shot the magnums for years off a standard Lyman factory nipple on my gpr with no issues. Friday, I could get the cap on but it took 2-3 strikes to get it to go off. I could tell it was a fit issue since it was a bit smashed down after the first strike. Switched to a tin of the standard #11s bought at the same time and never had an issue. Nipple was replaced last year (with the same nipple from Lyman) due to the original finally flaring out. I’ve shot several CCI #11 magnums out of other tins with the new nipple with no issues.
So…anyone having any fit issues with recent CCI #11 magnum caps?
Had the same issue last year, bought 1000, and none fit any of them TC rifles I was getting in shooting order (all had new nipples but from different sources). The #11 caps worked Great on revolvers that a friend tried. CCI had me send them back and refunded money, but refuse to admit error. Took money and brought Remington #11 caps, everything worked as it should. I think they have a packaging issue.

Well I just got 500 of the #11 magnum caps from Cabela’s here in Canada. Haven’t seen percussion caps here in 3 years. They were sold out online and in stores overnight. I will try these in the next few days and see how they work. I don’t have any other options and don’t see any others in the near future so hope they work!

Im not getting what the heartburn is over the fit being a bit tight. Its not a perfect world. For less than the cost of a tin of caps you can get a spare nipple to fit to the caps and drive on like its not the end of the world. I was happy to get any caps over the past few years, regardless of if I had to fit a nipple to them. I bought whatever was available, various makes, sizes and types and only a couple tins per type that was available at the time. I got a couple spare nipples to be able to fit them to the caps and never gave it a second thought, problem solved, I had caps and made them work.

Guys in Australia have built a gun around a case of ammo they have in hand, its that costly and hard to get.

Latest posts

Back