• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did forget one important step, I use a stick cut from a cheap paint brush that fits into the caps to gently press form the mix. This I do dry because sometimes the wet mix would flow up around the stick and not stay in the cap, this is done GENTLY so as not to fluff the powder out of the cap. Then seal! I press the caps out as soon as the caps absorb the sealer….wait to long and they tend to glue to the drilled paint stir stick. Don’t forget to wash your hands antimony is toxic.

Just saw No. 11s CCI at Walmart for $5.62 a hundred. I had seen others posting but was skeptical. They had 10 on rack, I got 2 so now I have right at 2,000 with my homemade. I’m good for a long time.
I live way close to major urban areas; no caps at any Wal-Marts here! But if I'm cruising on vacation out where the horses-n-buggies roam, I'd stop in just to check!

My thoughts on percussion caps? Yes, I have enough percussion caps to last for the rest of my life. I will let my children decide what to do with any that are left after I pass away.
I’ve got plenty also, but hoping to stay healthy enough to leave few caps and minimal powder for my hiers to worry about. When market went kaflooie, I stocked up. Have shared with other loyal BP enthusiasts I’ve met through the years.

Scheels had both CCI #10 &#11 last year for $9.99 per but have been ever since....I did not buy all they had but glad I hoarded what I could afford!

My Walmart in Logan Ohio doesn't carry any muzzleloading supplies, including percussion caps. There isn't even a spot on the wall for any muzzleloading stuff.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Last edited:
I just bought 2k RWS Pluss for $346.86 with shipping and hazmat from powder valley. that works out to 17.35 cents each. I cast my own balls from scrap yard lead that I buy between .73c to$1.00 lb I currently have about 75lbs . I buy T7 locally so no hazmat between $35 and $42 a lb. shooting the Le Page is about 18g and the 1858's are about 25g. No shure exactly how many shots I get out of a pound but with the Le Page I think its more than 250 so i am probobly about .25c a shot. Combined with the slow rate of fire thats a cost that I can live with.. Its been so long since I bougt .45acp that I don't know the current cost . I do know that 45LC is $65.00 a hundred at my local store and I suspect i could burn through a box of that pretty darn quick...

Last edited:
I scored 1k regular CCI at walleys last fall and use that for my revolvers. I get good ignition with standard caps in the revolvers but with both of my side hammer pistols I need Pluss or magnum caps to get good ignition with T7 I had a few tins of Remington's with gold foil that gave good ignition but the standard CCI caps do not.
I emailed both Remington and CCI a few weeks ago asking about cap availibility. CCI answered me promptly and said that they are shipping millions of caps and primers daily to distributers but have no control over where they go from there. Remington never followed up on the auto reply telling me that they would respond to my inquiry shortly.

I just bought 2k RWS Pluss for $346.86 with shipping and hazmat from powder valley. that works out to 17.35 cents each
Yup, did the same thing recently. 17.35 cents each, non-corrosive, delivered to my door. No driving around looking or time spent making my own corrosive ones. Even better, I used some of my Covid money to buy them so consider them free anyway. I've requested that I be cremated with all my unused caps.

I use my caps and constantly on the lookout for more. I would have bought 5k but was chicken to be that flippant with money when both my vehicles need work etc. I usually shoot about 10 to 20 shots a day with the le page and 12 to 24 a week with the 1858 so realistically with the 1k I had on hand and the 2k to be delivered that still not a years supply for me.

Latest posts

Back