• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burned by USPS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been to the US many times for BP competitions at Friendship etc. I don't take BP long arms as they are readily available & cheap. Sometimes i resell them there but most times ship them back to Australia,some i carry back depending on other luggage as we travel around for 2-3 months. Every longarm i have sent back i first go to the UPS store & get an approperate box. I then take the package to a USPS store & sent it off. Never had a refusal or lost item

Yes. With a muzzleloading long gun you are OK. You cannot possess any kind of concealable firearm on post office property, even locked in your car. Not even a muzzleloading pistol. It’s federal property , same as a military base.

Nope. The u s postal service will not ship handguns of any type ,period. Unless it is FFL to FFL. It’s the post office regulation, ATF has nothing to do with it. Feel free to press your luck. I won’t.

Usps has delivered 3 to my door in the last 12 months. All were clearly marked as to what they were. Post Master did request that someone meet the carrier at the box to take possession

Ok. Hope you don’t end up in a bad situation. Good luck.
They told me here that blackpowder was considered a nonfirearm by all but a few usps districts still, one came from Texas, one from ffl in Pennsylvania and 3rd from ffl in Florida to me. Figure that if Ffl is shipping that way its no concern to me

If we are worried about our muzzleloaders getting through the USPS, UPS, FEDEX, why don't we just use an FFL dealer, pay the fee, and we are sure to get our firearm? Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere. I would rather pay a fee than go through all of this other bs.

If you do that, won't it entail a fee on each end, one to ship and one to receive?

If done so , a person will end up with three fees.

The way I look at the situation, and how many entries are posted for this one topic, I would be glad to pay the fees. I get my muzzleloader, it's not a p.i.a., and we help support our local FFL dealer at least one way.

If we are worried about our muzzleloaders getting through the USPS, UPS, FEDEX, why don't we just use an FFL dealer, pay the fee, and we are sure to get our firearm? Please correct me if I am wrong somewhere. I would rather pay a fee than go through all of this other bs.
Intended purpose of all this?

Last edited by a moderator:
The intended purpose of all of this, if you read the title of this post, is we have other options than using the USPS or any other shipping method, if they aren't doing their job. If they don't do their job, FIRE them.

The intended purpose of all of this , if you read the title of this post, is we have other options than using the USPS or any other shipping method, if they aren't doing their job. If they don't do their job, FIRE them.
Not what i meant at all. What i did mean is another deliberate push toward registering, taxing and otherwise controlling everything capable of being used as a weapon.

Well if the USPS is saying "it's a GUN".. and cannot legally be shipped by them etc... But they are not in physical possession of it....this means ONE OF THEIR EMPLOYEES STOLE A GUN.. a FEDERAL FELONY.... so where is the FEDERAL INVESTIGATION into USPS employees stealing firearms??? Raise hell.. you might find to shut you up.. and avoid the MEDIA....they pay your claim (pay you to go away?) just a thought....

USPS Publication 52 has been brought up a few times in this thread as USPS justification for not shipping muzzleloaders or antiques. However, pgs 99 through 101 make it clear. Handguns are only the issue. See especially paragraphs 432.1 and 432.2. Handguns have the extra catch that even if they're defined as antique or muzzleloader in paragraph 431.3 they still need to be delivered to a C&R holder.

Rifles and shotguns have their own mailability conditions in paragraph 432.3. But that does not include antiques/muzzleloaders.

And finally there is the catch all if something in that reg conflicts with ATF definitions: "Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of firearms. Mailers requesting additional information should be referred to the ATF."

The antique handgun thing is ridiculous but it is what it is. I've learned something today.

I urge everyone to contact their representatives, senators, whoever you can think of and raise HELL!

This is why I ship Fed Ex Next Day PM Delivery. This is also called Standard Overnight. Yes it is expensive but I have never had a problem. This day and age you pay for what you get. If all else fails then I have shipped 2 Day Fed Ex and never had a problem there either. It really depends on if I am shipping East of the Mississippi or West of it.

This is why I ship Fed Ex Next Day PM Delivery. This is also called Standard Overnight. Yes it is expensive but I have never had a problem. This day and age you pay for what you get. If all else fails then I have shipped 2 Day Fed Ex and never had a problem there either. It really depends on if I am shipping East of the Mississippi or West of it.

I seem to recall that the Swiss K31 that FedEx lost for a week before it showed up was a Standard Overnight. ;)

Back