• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If You Order From Pecatonica Beware Of Shipping Issues With USPS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L T Grey

32 Cal
Reaction score
This post is to inform about shipping issues, and not meant to criticize the quality of Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply's products in any way, shape, or form. I sent Pecatonica a very nice piece of curly black walnut to be carved into a half stock. They got the work done in a timely fashion, and reported that the finished stock had amazing figure, and turned out well with no issues. I paid my bill and they shipped it via USPS Priority on January 16. USPS showed the stock left the facility in Shirland, IL late afternoon on January 17. On January 21 it was reported "in transit" to another facility. At that point any further tracking information has ceased. According to the USPS site I am supposed to be able to make a claim on the package after January 22. When I attempt that it tells me I'm not eligible. An employee at Pecatonica to me they had had some of their packages sit in the USPS system in Chicago for three weeks during January. I understand that weather was an issue in the northern tier during this time period. If you order from Pecatonica my recommendation is that you specify implicitly shipping through another source besides the USPS. I hope my stock turns up, but I'm afraid the longer that beautiful piece of wood sits in a USPS facility the more chances it has of being destroyed, lost or stolen. Again, ask Pecatonica to ship via another shipping company. NOT the UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE!

The stock finally made it to my home. After sitting in the USPS Chicago hub since the 17th of January, and two search requests it showed up at 1 PM yesterday. Pecatonica did a good job carving my walnut and I look forward to building the rifle which will be a dressed up lefty Leman. I called and thanked them for staying after the USPS.

The stock finally made it to my home. After sitting in the USPS Chicago hub since the 17th of January, and two search requests it showed up at 1 PM yesterday. Pecatonica did a good job carving my walnut and I look forward to building the rifle which will be a dressed up lefty Leman. I called and thanked them for staying after the USPS.
MAGNIFYING EMOJI.jpg

AWAITING photos of the finished rifle....

LD

The title of this thread unfairly knocks Pec. And, in fairness, all the shipping companies are unreliable these days, not just USPS.
I disagree. It simply warns of current issues with their preferred shipping method. They admitted to me that they knew there were issues yet continued to ship with USPS after other clients experienced the same problem in the same time frame. Had they informed me of the issues in getting parcels through the Chicago USPS hub I would have gladly paid extra for another service.

Reading is fundamental. First sentence...
Reading certainly is fundamental. If you had read my reply then you would understand that they continued to use USPS as their shipping source even when they knew through multiple customer complaints that there were problems.

I disagree. It simply warns of current issues with their preferred shipping method. They admitted to me that they knew there were issues yet continued to ship with USPS after other clients experienced the same problem in the same time frame. Had they informed me of the issues in getting parcels through the Chicago USPS hub I would have gladly paid extra for another service.
It's not their preferred shipping method though. I don't have any experience with them but what you're saying and faulting them for seems to be not true, at least for the lower 48

Home > How to Order​
How to Order​
We ship all our stocks by UPS or U. S. Mail. Shipping in the lower 48 contiguous states is primarily UPS. All international shipping is by U.S. Postal Service only, according to their regulations, whether surface or air mail.​

It's not their preferred shipping method though. I don't have any experience with them but what you're saying and faulting them for seems to be not true, at least for the lower 48

Home > How to Order​
How to Order​
We ship all our stocks by UPS or U. S. Mail. Shipping in the lower 48 contiguous states is primarily UPS. All international shipping is by U.S. Postal Service only, according to their regulations, whether surface or air mail.​
ham385, If you have no experience; current or otherwise, in ordering from Pecatonica then you should hold your comments. I've been a very satisfied Pecatonica customer since 1989. I will continue to make use of their services when needed. As for your site quote; Pecatonica's web site was last updated in 2014. All information including pricing is outdated. They tell you to call for current information. I spent a month dealing with shipping issues on a very nice piece of walnut I sent to them for carving. My quotes are from direct, first hand conversations with their management. I have no reason to put words in anyone's mouth. I was simply trying to warn potential and established customers of current chronic issues with the USPS in the area, and to ask for an alternate method of shipment when placing an order. That is all. One would assume potential customers would appreciate the advice.

Reading certainly is fundamental. If you had read my reply then you would understand that they continued to use USPS as their shipping source even when they knew through multiple customer complaints that there were problems.
And go with who? UPS? Fedex? They all suck.

We had a bad experience with USPS Priority Mail too. We shipped a barrel to The Hawken Shop. We packed it in a shipping tube wrapped in bubble wrap and when it got there the tube had been opened, bubble wrap gone and the barrel just rattling around in the tube and the front sight damaged. So yeah not a big USPS fan. They refunded the shipping cost but good luck getting anything more such as damage refund.

Latest posts

Back