• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Burned by USPS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the crux of the biscuit is you can ship LONG GUNS usps, but no HANDGUNS. Muzzleloading and antique. And it’s THEIR regulations.

Years when I was collecting C&R rifles, I ordered a Swiss K31 from a gentleman in Pittsburgh. It came the next day via FedEx, it's only across the state. I liked it so much I ordered another one.

Next day, FedEx truck drives past the house. Hmmm, maybe that was a fluke. NEXT day, no gun. Tracking number said it was in transit, no real info. Lady says it got out of Pittsburgh late, should be there next day. Over the next 4 days, when no gun appeared and I called, I got a different story every time. It went North to Upstate NY, it never got out of Pittsburgh, my personal favorite was that it was in a truck that burned to the ground on the Pa. Turnpike. Told them it was a firearm, they didn't seem to care.

After about 6 days of this, I decided to notify the ATF that there was a loose rifle somewhere. Literally as I sat on the sofa with my cell phone, I hear THUNK on the porch. Yup, there it was. Opened the box, checked it out, all good. Called FedEx to say thank you for getting it there. Got dead silence on the phone. Finally the lady admitted to me that FedEx didn't know it was there, or how it got there.

When I contacted the seller in Pittsburgh, he was so angry he told me he was switching carriers. Don't know if he ever did, but he sounded pretty p****d on the phone.

CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN and show up in their local office with all your paper work.
Best of luck
Nit Wit

I’ll ship any antique handguns I sell fed ex or ups. Don’t want to be accused by the usps as a “gunrunner” and put on show trial...

Another thing I always do is require an Adult (over 21) signature. That way the carrier can't say, "I don't know what happened to it. All I did was deliver it like I was supposed to". This helps to keep them from wandering off the porch.

I once had a modern rifle sent to me Parcel Post. The carrier left it out by my fence in a rural residential area (1/2 acre lots). I went and complained to the Postmaster. I have alot of respect for mail carriers but she had to have been one of the laziest, ever!

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing I always do is require an Adult (over 21) signature.

Does the Post Office have that as an option? They have signature confirmation, and I thought they had something like "Restricted Delivery", which means it is only deliverable to a specific person, who has to show ID. Something like that. "Registered" mail is pretty secure too.

"Delivery Confirmation" sounds good, but it just means that it was "Delivered". Doesn't mean it was the right house or even the right street. Anything "valuable", that's up to you I guess, should be signed for. Insured. Packaged securely.

It doesn't hurt anything to affix the destination and sender on the item itself, inside the box. If the box is somehow destroyed in transit, or shipping label damaged, if it falls out - and the itsm gets separated from the box, then you won't get it, your recipient won't get it etc, because nobody will know where to send it. I used to see this when buying auto parts. People put heavy cast iron parts in a big box unsecured, and it's free to bang around, no padding, then it launches itself out of the box.

I've had full blackpowder cases delivered, signature required, just dropped at the door and I was home they never knocked. I also have an entryway and they don't always put packages inside whatever the weather.

Does the Post Office have that as an option? They have signature confirmation, and I thought they had something like "Restricted Delivery", which means it is only deliverable to a specific person, who has to show ID. Something like that. "Registered" mail is pretty secure too.

"Delivery Confirmation" sounds good, but it just means that it was "Delivered". Doesn't mean it was the right house or even the right street. Anything "valuable", that's up to you I guess, should be signed for. Insured. Packaged securely.

It doesn't hurt anything to affix the destination and sender on the item itself, inside the box. If the box is somehow destroyed in transit, or shipping label damaged, if it falls out - and the itsm gets separated from the box, then you won't get it, your recipient won't get it etc, because nobody will know where to send it. I used to see this when buying auto parts. People put heavy cast iron parts in a big box unsecured, and it's free to bang around, no padding, then it launches itself out of the box.

Yes, they do. So does UPS. Not sure about the specific person part.

So if the post office is treating it as a modern gun then the batfe should be alerted . There is a loose handgun somewhere. It was signed out , not delivered , it has to be somewhere or considered stolen.

433 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of firearms. Mailers requesting additional information should be referred to the ATF. Further advice and ATF contact information is available

Ship Fed-x as I shipped a pkg the other day $30.00 ups and fed -x was $9.50.,I do not ship anything w/ expensive UPS.,Period^^^^^^^^

My niece and her husband lived in a small town in Arizona. Their fedex packages are actually sent to the local post office. They were expecting a valuable package and she went to pick it up we she received the email that it had been delivered. The folks at the post office told her it had not been received.

She was on the phone with sheriff Joe when they “found” it UNDER one of the P.O. employees desk!
Yup.

Lots of misunderstanding. The BATFE regs state that muzzleloading guns are NOT firearms and can be mailed directly to you, or by you to anyone that can legally own one.

Bottom line is the visibly deplorable condition of many POs. Buildings, furniture and vehicles look like they haven't been updated (or maintained) since dedicated to Nixon. Ours raised PO Box rent from 92/yr to 126/year with literally no warning. Also it seems base rates went up as well. Do not expect good things under the new regime.

Nope. The u s postal service will not ship handguns of any type ,period. Unless it is FFL to FFL. It’s the post office regulation, ATF has nothing to do with it. Feel free to press your luck. I won’t.

Back