• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

USPS Fiasco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've shipped a lot of antiques over the years, usually smaller than rifles, some larger. Never had one lost of broken with USPS but seldom shipped long rifles. The one that did break was poorly packed by the FFL, and they used UPS. When my gun shop FFL called me to get it, they showed me cracked wrist and broken rear sight. They recommended that I "refuse taking delivery" from them, the gun shop. I did, and after a few weeks of the UPS insurance claim, which I had to manage, I got a big settlement check that almost paid for the rifle. Got a sight and new stock for very little money, pocketed the rest. Insurance is for just this type of thing - broken or lost in shipping. Insurance premiums are the percentage you pay based on YOUR desired value. Within reason. They should not require an appraisal after the fact. But if they do, I'd have a friend pencil whip on up. Then they can argue that "he's not a legit appraiser" or whatever they try. Just keep plugging away, you will eventually get your payout. Their job is to wear you down so you quit.

It takes packages up to 3 days now from the time they arrive at the PO till its available for pickup at counter or box - very irritating!

Was driving behind my small town PO where the loading docks are. Its a medium sized PO and the docks are about 40 feet wide and maybe 10 feet deep. Everyday (Sundays too) it looks like a ship yard overflowing with pallets and big and small trucks jockeying for position. It is clearly overwhelmed as is the parking lot. Pretty evident UPS, Fedex and Amazon who utilize the USPS for final delivery are really killing plain old mail service. I wonder how much longer the system will survive the onslaught??

I worked for the USPS last fall for 5 weeks. 12-18 large pallet of packages every morning, plus another half dozen in the afternoon was common. This PO covered about 20,000 people, city and rural routes.

"It takes packages up to 3 days now from the time they arrive at the PO till its available for pickup at counter or box - very irritating!'

Not at my PO. EVERYTHING that came in, except on Sundays (we worked half days on Sundays) was either placed in a post office box, an overflow box, placed on the shelf for pick-up or given to a carrier. We didn't go to lunch until this was completed.

That said, I learned that every post office is a kingdom unto itself. Each postmaster sets the rules about how deliveries are made.

Our PO is really messed up in other ways too. The postmaster does nothing about the left wing political types and in your face religious recruiters onsite. Many days both types have representatives right at the front door in violation of federal law. Even the homeless have no respect and have to be forcibly removed from camping against the PO walls.

Apparently the Chinese are now cutting out middle men like amazon and ebay and are shipping direct enmass at stupid low prices. This is adding to USPS's load. Chinese solution to insurance is often to just refund $ and not ask for item returns.
The Chinese like to send something else not worth it and ask you to keep it. It cost me $36 to send it back before PayPal made them refund me. Then po stuffed me as they were supposed to cover most of that overage.

Folks- you can’t ship any concealable weapons through the u s mail! They changed the regs. Long guns ok, handguns, no. And it makes NO difference if it’s an antique or replica. They won’t pay , and you could be charged!
There I guy jk that does it everyday no problem, some people

I had an antique military bolt action unmentionable sent to me from an individual. A non FFL item. The box was opened , and shut back up rather crudely. The seller insisted he was not to blame for it, and I believed him. Who opened it and why?
I’ve shipped wooden bow’s and had the packaging nearly destroyed with all kinds of new tape holding the box together. Doesn’t mean something nefarious has taken place.

I have found the following:

If it stays within the region, no issues.

If it goes through Atlanta (or the southeast) it is a 50/50 chance of damage, 25% chance of being lost or stolen

If it comes from the NorthEast, it will take one of several routes and take way too long and a 10% chance of getting lost

Great Lakes or mid-west having to transit Chicago, not unlike South East. No Chicago, transit no problem

From Texas/New Mexico/Arizona it "depends on the moon"
Here is Athens GA area we call Atlanta "the land of the dead".

The local gun shop owner told me they won’t even ship a BB gun anymore unless it’s FFL to FFL. The clerks just refuse, and say it’s no longer allowed. The postmaster backs them up . But he has no proof you can’t…..

I've had good luck so far with only one exception a few months back where my check/MO took 3 weeks to get 120 miles to its destination. tracking failed as well and fortunately the MO finally arrived.

Just this past Monday, the12th, I got an 1858 from rusticbob up in the great state of Vermont . He mailed it last Friday, the 9th. Only took four days, including the Superbowl weekend, go figure!

I've had good luck so far with only one exception a few months back where my check/MO took 3 weeks to get 120 miles to its destination. tracking failed as well and fortunately the MO finally arrived.

Just this past Monday, the12th, I got an 1858 from rusticbob up in the great state of Vermont . He mailed it last Friday, the 9th. Only took four days, including the Superbowl weekend, go figure!
I'm beginning to think it depends on weather or not they have an OTR driver to take the trailer.

Latest posts

Back