• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Burned by USPS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a series of problems over a couple of months with the local PO in AZ, they were trying to make up the rules as we went along. Everything from you need an FFL to you must send it registered mail. After a couple of discussions with the post master each of those times we finally got it straight. Everyone of the clerks knew me on sight and never tried to hamper me again.

Don't go quietly into the night!

I too agree to not take this lyin down.If this weapon was seized and held because of illegal shippin than it would be turned over to the authorities to investigate.Bein that that didn,t happen it was down right stolen and they are coverin it up.Demand to find out what happened to the weapon.

This is a backdoor gun control order from the top. They can’t ban the things, so no shipping them. It was stolen, and if you press the issue, you may get in more trouble than the thief. And the thief knows this......

It’s probably “ lost” in the postmasters desk. Or it’s at the police station.

Just the high cost of USPS insurance is enough to choose fedex or ups. Now that the rules seemed to have changed w/o warning it really puts a damper on our further use of USPS. Given what i hear is being shipped in flat rate boxes nowadays coupled with the appalling state of most post offices i would say they have lost my confidence.

Umm, just my uneducated, uninformed opinion, but given what 18 USC § 1715 says, I wouldn’t poke the bear on this one...

18 U.S. Code § 1715 - Firearms as nonmailable; regulations

I would also ask for the thread to be deleted (or identifying specifics removed), but again just my opinion.
This is in regards to firearms, muzzleloaders, cap and ball pistols etc are considered antique and don’t fall under same regulations as firearms.

Before it’s said and done, the idiots will require FFL transfer on muzzleloading barrels, locks, and any part to make one shoot.

Sorry my postmaster friend said this applies to ALL handguns, antique or modern. You can only send them with an FFL, or in for repair at the point of origin. Look for X ray machines at every major postal hub.

The regulation was intentionally vaguely worded so the postal officials can do what they want. Or told to do. Anti gun postal officials? Well, the regulations apply to ALL handguns, even antique. CALL YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVES!

The Federal Government stands behind a shield of qualified immunity. The only way to sue
them is to prove they intended to be negligent or harm you. You can file under the Federal
Tort Claims Act--good luck but that is one possibility and has time limits. Because the
Postal Service is Quasi-Government that might be something they can dance out of.
The U.S.P.S. is horrible with bad service,stealing common, mail being thrown out and the
Postal Inspectors do nothing about it ---UNLESS you do something against the law then
they are glad to arrest a citizen. The Post Office is widely Corrupt and Steals from us.
BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE, THEY ARE GREAT AT DUMPING BALLOTS TOO!!!

Umm, just my uneducated, uninformed opinion, but given what 18 USC § 1715 says, I wouldn’t poke the bear on this one...

18 U.S. Code § 1715 - Firearms as nonmailable; regulations

I would also ask for the thread to be deleted (or identifying specifics removed), but again just my opinion.

You are quite correct, but what was stolen were legally defined as a completely different category..., they are classified under US Code as "antique firearms" even if they were made the day they were shipped. So the above reference does not apply.

LD

This is in regards to firearms, muzzleloaders, cap and ball pistols etc are considered antique and don’t fall under same regulations as firearms.
" under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe." And they have prescribed that you may not ship a muzzleloading handgun without an 01 or 03 FFL. Federal law allows it, it's USPS regs that prohibit it.

Va Guy, I certainly appreciate what you pointed out but if you look at what the Federal Law uses as a definition of a ”firearm” you will find the following
Antique Firearm Exception
The term “firearm” is very broad and includes almost everything that a person could shoot. For hunters or people that want to carry a gun for subject to the Federal firearm possession prohibition, they would not be permitted to use a normal rifle, shotgun, or pistol as those items clearly fall under the definition of “firearm.” However, they most likely would be able to use an “antique firearm,” which would allow them to use most conventional muzzleloaders. An “antique firearm” includes:

• any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
  • any replica of a firearm manufactured in or before 1898 IF such replica is not designed for using rimfire or centerfire fixed ammo
  • any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition

I think Fed EX will ship gun powder and guns. No Problem. However, I have seen a lot of
posts where guns are stolen from carriers. We live in an era of anti-gun politics. So do not
expect sympathy or help from bureaucrats.

Ups and fed ex will raise rates on those muzzleloading handguns to get a piece of that pie.

Latest posts

Back