• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Welding

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone here extended a tang by welding material to it? I'm talking of oxygen and acetylene gas welding.Im pretty good with a torch. I have done trigger gaurd extensions and they look great. Please don't say buy a longer breech plug. That is not my way to go.Like I say I've done a fair amount of gas welding over the years.I was a 40 yr hvac tech.Mild steel is not hard to do but you do have to know when to move the torch and you have to get the metals surface almost liguifying.

Iam. I didn't know if anyone may have some warnings or tips. Technically I know nothing about gas welding. I'm just a old guy who has learned the feel and experience.

Has anyone here extended a tang by welding material to it? I'm talking of oxygen and acetylene gas welding.Im pretty good with a torch. I have done trigger gaurd extensions and they look great. Please don't say buy a longer breech plug. That is not my way to go.Like I say I've done a fair amount of gas welding over the years.I was a 40 yr hvac tech.Mild steel is not hard to do but you do have to know when to move the torch and you have to get the metals surface almost liguifying.
I have the same background as you. I'd give it a try. Get everything real clean. Use a good rod for filler material and try to keep porosity down so it will grind down nice and clean. Good luck!

EDC the only rods I've use have been nails or just a piece of steel rod. Coat hangers on exhaust back when I was a teen or in my 20s.Gotta have filler. You got any reccomends on the type rod?

Using coat hangers brought a smile to my face. I did that when I had my first cars to try to keep the exhaust systems from falling off. I wonder if Ma wondered why there wasn't very many hangers left in the closet?
Gas welding on thin metal is great, on thicker stuff it's more of a challenge but certainly works.

Using coat hangers brought a smile to my face. I did that when I had my first cars to try to keep the exhaust systems from falling off. I wonder if Ma wondered why there wasn't very many hangers left in the closet?
Gas welding on thin metal is great, on thicker stuff it's more of a challenge but certainly works.
Yep, I'm running low right now on wire coat hangers.

absolutely do it a weld is a weld makes no difference gas, arc, tig, mig all the same the only difference is the amount of heat is transferred to the surrounding area the only thing you should know is if your filler material is a different composition then what your welding it may show up as a different color when blued

Remember an Austin Healy Sprite with a cut open tomato juice can wired in place over a hole in the muffler. No it did not last long.

Has anyone here extended a tang by welding material to it? I'm talking of oxygen and acetylene gas welding.Im pretty good with a torch. I have done trigger gaurd extensions and they look great. Plea problem, go for it.se don't say buy a longer breech plug. That is not my way to go.Like I say I've done a fair amount of gas welding over the years.I was a 40 yr hvac tech.Mild steel is not hard to do but you do have to know when to move the torch and you have to get the metals surface almost liguifying.
No problem, go for it.

For thin stuff i use a HF 90 amp fluxcore machine on low. The only problem with it is the feed mechanism sux. I bought a 3 in. C clamp which can apply more pressure to the feed mechanism which makes it feed much smoother.

A lot of the tang castings are 8620, fillers that work well could be 4140 class. With rust blue or browning I don't see how you'd see the weld, salt blue I think it will stand out.

I had a 1961 MGA I bought for $800 in 1966 and ran it all through college in FL - great car and a LOT of fun. I gave it to my brother in 1970 then I bought a 1962 MGA in 1971. It was OK but not as good as the 61".

Mine was a 66 Volvo 1800 - now that I think about it, that was a pretty new car at the time. I graduated high school in 65, how did I afford that? It must have been beat up and cheap.

Back