• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brushyspoon's Western Carolina mountain rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushyspoons

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I think this rifle deserves its own build thread by now. I'm pretty bad at documenting my progress in any of my projects, but I've got enough pictures from my first muzzleloader to hopefully constitute a worthwhile thread for y'all to scroll through. A brief summary about myself: I'm going to be 33 years young this year, and my late grandfather built 5 muzzleloaders in the 70s when he lived in Kentucky; the first he gave away to his brother, the other four were my first introduction to American Longrifles. Three are Pennsylvania rifles stocked in curly maple, one is a southern mountain rifle stocked in walnut; all have Bill Large barrels. Although we hunted together up until the year he passed, we never really did anything with muzzleloaders. He would tell stories of old rendezvous he attended and pull out the muzzleloaders he built from his safe every now and then while I was visiting to wipe them down, which I assume gave a lasting impression because sometime in late 2021 I decided I would build my own muzzleloader. Starting from the books he had accumulated, I started reading through "Recreating the Kentucky Rifle" by William Buchele and was fairly overwhelmed with the amount of instructions and lack of associated illustrations. I picked up "The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle" which helped my understanding of the build process considerably, but I still refer back to both books whenever I start a new part of this rifle. When trying to decide on what I really wanted to build, I figured something I could use for hunting would be a good idea; even if it didn't turn out looking too great, as long as it was accurate and reliable I could call it a success for my first attempt. So I settled on a .32 Appalachian mountain rifle for pursuing squirrel. I figured the lack of embellishment for this style of rifle would lend itself well enough to a beginner since I had what some might call zero experience with working wood by hand. I started out with ordering a CM2 maple stock from Pecatonica, quickly followed by an old Stanley No. 5 plane to get the sides squared up:

0001.jpg

That was followed by a .32, 3/4" straight octagon barrel by Rice:
0002.jpg

I eventually got the barrel inlet, and looking back at it now I think I'll probably glass bed it since my work was probably less than the best:
0003.jpg

I originally wanted to follow a Soddy Daisy rifle for this one which is the profile you see drawn on the stock, but I eventually abandoned that ambition when I realized those really need a specific butt plate to follow the style. Anyways, I thought I was making the stock absurdly thin at this point. Little did I know how thin the upper forearm really gets on a longrifle:
0004.jpg

Here's the ramrod channel getting prepped for drilling the ramrod hole. I think this picture makes it look kind of curved, but I promise it's straight. Please ignore the file laid on top of other files, it's a bad habit I am trying to drop:
0006.jpg

Here's the celebratory bubbly being uncorked for a successful ramrod hole drilling. Using a hand brace was incredibly slow work, but it was easy to feel and hear when the bit started to get clogged with wood chips and it was time to back it out. As best I know this hole was drilled as straight as one could hope:
0007.jpg

I don't have any pictures from seating the breech plug, but I ended up doing that twice. When I started inletting the tang I had just received some inletting black in the mail, and I quickly learned how much inletting black was too much inletting black. I was definitely using too much:
0008.jpg

After getting inletting black on everything I know and love, the tang was eventually inlet with a mildly unacceptable amount of gaps on each side. 95% of the acetone used during this project was consumed during this single inlet:
0009.jpg

Next up was the lock inlet. You can kind of see behind the lock plate a weird step up in the wood. The only power tools I own are a drill and dremel, all sawing has been done by hand with a 9-1/2" Ryoba saw. I'm not sure if I'm just bad at sawing or if the grain makes the saw blade wander, but I had to work in chunks to remove material successfully. I highly recommend using a band saw or making friends with someone who owns a band saw if you want to build a longrifle:
0011.jpg

Next was inletting the lock internals. You might notice the workbench I'm using has considerably improved; most of the work I got done on this rifle was during the time I was visiting with my parents over the Christmas and New Years holidays. Thanks to the extremely thin 3/4" barrel it was nigh impossible to not break into the ramrod channel for the mainspring inlet. Also if you are looking at those powder drum threads and wondering if I messed up don't worry; I absolutely did. I'm redrilling/tapping that hole for 5/16-24 threads:
0012.jpg

My next post will continue the progress of this build.

Here is the inlet for the trigger plate and the front trigger bar marked out with inletting black. I eventually learned how much inletting black is enough inletting black. Also, a pattern maker's vice is a great investment, I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get into building:
0013.jpg

Here is the rifle in the form of a rifle-shaped 2x4:
0014.jpg

At this point I finally started adding some curves to the stock. The lock inlet definitely isn't the best, but the lock at least supports the powder drum fully. I'm considering patching the bottom of this inlet:
0015.jpg

Here's the rifle after a full morning with planes, rasps, and files. I completely botched the installation of the nose cap which isn't very apparent from this photo but...:
0016.jpg

...was bad enough to convince me to try my hand at making my own with some sheet metal from Lowe's. After a few hours of bending sheet metal in a bench vice and one failed attempt at soldering I figured out how flux and solder work and was able to put this together:
0017.jpg

The butt plate took a while to inlet, there are definitely some gaps that I hope will get filled in with dirt or my finger grease or whatnot. I definitely can't simply peen this butt plate to fill any gaps. This experience and a later one convinced me I'm done with cast steel parts:
0018.jpg

The toe plate went in a lot nicer than the butt plate. I can definitely inlet rectangles a lot better than I can curves:
0019.jpg

The trigger guard was not too difficult of an inlet, but if you ever look at this rifle and turn it upside down you'll see the rear tab is a bit wonky. I couldn't get it bent straight without feeling like I was going to break the trigger guard, and the rear tab was the hardest steel I've ever tried to drill through. Thankfully during one of my misadventures on McMaster-Carr's website I have a 3/32" end mill, and that was the only thing that could cut through:
0020.jpg

And here's where the rifle currently stands. The ramrod thimbles are inlet and their pins have been drilled, but I don't really have any pictures for those. Next up is inletting the patchbox on the bench next to that red brush, heeing and hawing over the shape of the stock and touching up any spots I think need work, then onto finishing the wood and browning the barrel and furniture:
0021.png

Looking good so far...Only thing I would change would be making it a flintlock instead of a percussion...

Also, did you put a bit of cast off in the butt stock??

Good luck!!

It looks like you're on your way to becoming a pretty good muzzleloading rifle builder. Keep this one for sure. You'll want to look at it from time to time as you go along later in life. Yours is looking a whole lot better than my first one. About the only thing I don't agree with is your choice of beer. I'm a PBR man myself. My only suggestion is that you take the time to index the buttplate, toeplate and trigger guard screws to line up north/south; it's just window dressing but it looks good. Keep the pictures coming!

Looking good so far...Only thing I would change would be making it a flintlock instead of a percussion...

Also, did you put a bit of cast off in the butt stock??

Good luck!!
I originally planned for this to be a flintlock, but with the best flintlocks for mountain rifles being the late Ketlands from Chambers and Kibler with the step-down at the rear of the lock plate I got into analysis paralysis during the planning stages of this rifle and thought I could end up with a worryingly thin wrist if I used one of those with this 3/4" straight octagon barrel. Looking back now I think I would have been fine, but thanks to that I now have a Kibler Ketland lock looking for a rifle to call home. I did try to put some cast off into the stock, I measured out 1/8" when inletting the butt plate but have yet to measure the result.
0023.png

It looks like you're on your way to becoming a pretty good muzzleloading rifle builder. Keep this one for sure. You'll want to look at it from time to time as you go along later in life. Yours is looking a whole lot better than my first one. About the only thing I don't agree with is your choice of beer. I'm a PBR man myself. My only suggestion is that you take the time to index the buttplate, toeplate and trigger guard screws to line up north/south; it's just window dressing but it looks good. Keep the pictures coming!

Thanks, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods I can be a PBR man too if you're buying ;). I'll spend some time with my egg beater and countersink and get the rest of the screws lined up. I spent the time with the butt plate comb screw to get that one oriented N-S, no reason to not spend the 5 or 10 minutes on the rest of them.

I forgot to mention it's a good choice of caliber. I still have the 32 I built in 1976 and drag it out once in awhile. I shot quite a few bunnies with it many years ago. Head shots only though, after I blew the first into little pieces. It was amazing to me how destructive such a small ball can be.

I have to congratulate you on your build, most guys, including myself would be happy to build a gun from a kit let alone scratch building! Your doing great, don't down yourself on the build, it looks great for a first time!

Without taking any pictures of the process I finished this rifle. I stained the wood with two coats of Track's aquafortis solution and finished it with two coats of Tried & True varnish oil. The barrel, lock, and funiture was browned with Track's browning solution. I still need to install the nipple, do something about the finish of the triggers and trigger plate, and finish the ramrods. The stock could have definitely used more attention with sanding in some spots, that's a mistake I won't make again with future builds.
0100.jpg

0101.jpg

0102.jpg

0103.jpg

0104.jpg

0105.jpg

0106.jpg

0107.jpg

Edited to insert images in line

Last edited:
Looks good, let us know how she shoots...

Btw...In 20-30 years or so, you can open up that rear sight as the front one will get fuzzy when that rear notch is so narrow... :)

Looks good, let us know how she shoots...

Btw...In 20-30 years or so, you can open up that rear sight as the front one will get fuzzy when that rear notch is so narrow... :)
I’m planning to bring my jewelers saw and some needle files when I sight in for the first time, that tiny notch was just to locate the middle of the rear sight without opening it up too much. I’ve got material removal down pretty good, it’s adding it back where I have trouble ;) I’m hoping to get it out later this week if the gobblers and the weather cooperate.

I’m planning to bring my jewelers saw and some needle files when I sight in for the first time, that tiny notch was just to locate the middle of the rear sight without opening it up too much. I’ve got material removal down pretty good, it’s adding it back where I have trouble ;) I’m hoping to get it out later this week if the gobblers and the weather cooperate.
I don’t know about you but I think you did a very nice job on your build and thankyou for posting your build.
Walt

Back