• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Took my new Traditions Crockett to range for the first time

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After a month, I finally got out to the range to shoot my brand new Traditions Crockett Rifle (.32 caliber, percussion). Got off about 15 shots -- all seated. I used 20 grains of Goex 3F with a lubed .10 patch and .310 Hornady round ball.

Had a little troubled seeing the bullseye at 25 yards because my eye protection kept fogging up, but I am pretty happy with the results for the most part. I think the next time out will be much better as I get used to this rifle. The rifle performed well -- I ran a wet patch (Ballistol) followed by a dry patch about every five shots.

Here's a photo of my target.

This rifle is really fun to shoot!

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
After a month, I finally got out to the range to shoot my brand new Traditions Crockett Rifle (.32 caliber, percussion). Got off about 15 shots -- all seated. I used 20 grains of Goex 3F with a lubed .10 patch and .310 Hornady round ball.

Had a little troubled seeing the bullseye at 25 yards because my eye protection kept fogging up, but I am pretty happy with the results for the most part. I think the next time out will be much better as I get used to this rifle. The rifle performed well -- I ran a wet patch (Ballistol) followed by a dry patch about every five shots.

Here's a photo of my target.

This rifle is really fun to shoot!
Might want to step it up to a .015 patch. Mine will actually take a .018 patch but I’ve been using .015 pillow ticking instead. Makes it easier to start the patch/ball into the muzzle by fingers only. No short starter required.

The Crockett Rifle, tons of fun. I sometimes regret letting mine go. It appears you're off to a good start. I wish I'd kept the tag I'd attached to my Crockett with a group and load information on it. Mine would shoot clover leafs or near clover leafs regularly at 25 yards. I can't recall the patch and ball combo but I know I used balls from .310 to .319. You'll figure out what works best for your gun by continued experimentation. That’s where the fun is, at least for me.

Congratulations on your new gun. As matter of fact, I'm off to the range this morning with a .32 TVM Tennessee caplock I'm trying to make shoot as well as my Crockett did, I'm almost there.

Was watching The Alamo last night, watched as Billy Bob Thornton, as Crockett, sighted in on Santa Ana. Took off a shoulder eppellet, could have ended the siege before it even got started.

Love mine. I had to put a set of fiber optic sights on mine, help these old eyes tighten the groups up big time. You can shoot a long time without using a lot of powder. Enjoy it!

I have a CVA Squirrel, so, similar but not quite the same. 50 yards no problem, 80 is a challenge, I have not yet hit a 100 yard target with it (but I have not tried either). I shoot 10 grains 3f which seems to be plenty for target shooting.

One of my favorite movies.
I once attended a concert of Billy Bob and his band.My wife and got to sit in the front row. This was before my retirement from a state police agency; I had dropped my badge case in the gravel parking lot. When Thornton came in he yelled my name to the crowd. I immediately responded. He had found my credentials and was very nice about returning them. Boy was I glad no one was there who knew me; I would have been in big trouble had my agency found out.

Back