• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Patch Reading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I shot a few shots with my new Crockett Rifle today. I have read on here about “reading” your patch after it is shot. This rifle is new and I was shooting a Hornady .310 round ball, 20 grains Goex fffg and a .010 Wonderlube patch. What do these patches say?

I am just starting my journey with older style rifles coming from in lines. Any and all advice is appreciated.

SR1

Attachments

• 6727231D-467D-4436-A133-725A6DE9B38E.jpeg
    6727231D-467D-4436-A133-725A6DE9B38E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Forgot to mention. At 25 yards all of the shots were touching. It is heavier than I thought it would be (front heavy) but I like it‘s size overall. I don’t mind the aluminum ramrod as much as I thought I would. The wood to metal fit is great as well.

SR1

Those patches look great.
Someone will come along and dissect the minor shredding of the one on the left, it's inconsequential and typical, there is no sign of blow-by around the perimeter.

Well I did get two Crockett rifles at once (odd story…) so maybe you should send me that address. :)

Thanks for the replies. I have read a bunch on this board but have little practical experience. Will be shooting a bunch this summer so will work on that!

If they look good to you guys I am happy.

SR1

So I shot a few shots with my new Crockett Rifle today. I have read on here about “reading” your patch after it is shot. This rifle is new and I was shooting a Hornady .310 round ball, 20 grains Goex fffg and a .010 Wonderlube patch. What do these patches say?

I am just starting my journey with older style rifles coming from in lines. Any and all advice is appreciated.

SR1
I see some burn through holes in two of them that is not good and will probably show up in group size further down range . This is common with a new barrel but will usually stop in a hundred rounds or so as the ragged edges wear off the rifling land corners. In my experience a good patch will look like it can be washed and shot again. Holes in patches that have burn marks on them mean gas is escaping around the ball.
Slightly frayed edges is common and of no real concern on a good patch.

OK thanks for the reply. That makes sense and I can see how sharp rifling might cut into the patch allowing gas to escape through. I didn’t exactly load them perfectly centered in the patch so maybe that was an issue as well?

SR1

OK thanks for the reply. That makes sense and I can see how sharp rifling might cut into the patch allowing gas to escape through. I didn’t exactly load them perfectly centered in the patch so maybe that was an issue as well?

SR1
While "patch reading" can provide some useful clues as to what is going on, they aren't the authority. I have one rifle that leaves patches looking like lint from Cujo's chew toy but darn if the gun doesn't shoot. The barrel on that gun looks like a sewer pipe too.

SR1
Those pics look almost carbon copy of the the patches that have been fired from my Crockett Rifle with the exception that the dark ring is a bit more pronounced. I have obtained good accuracy out of mine. However, I'm using .015" patches with TOTW Mink Oil. With that combination there's no need in a short starter, ball starts and is easily seated. In fact, due to it being so easy to load, I'm considering trying some .018" ticking patches.

Just nit picking but there are a few holes plus burns on the patches. But I'm not nit picking when I say your accuracy is fine indeed. I don't like damaged patches but a damaged patch does not necessarily mean inaccuracy as you have proven. I'm a major fan of the Crockett and they are incredibly accurate at up to at least 50 yards. Right now you DO NOT have a problem so see how the accuracy holds up after a few hundred rounds; and if a problem surfaces you'll have a good idea of what to do.

You're getting good groups at 25yds so it's hard to say there's anything wrong but those patches look a little burned and frayed. I like them to look like this for my guns.
20220120_190700-COLLAGE.jpg

Thanks all for the replies. All helpful as I start down my cap/flintlock journey. I’ll see how it goes after a few rounds and also take notes on other patches and ball combos. I have .315 balls and cast .311 ball as well as a myriad of patch types and thicknesses. Have a great weekend.

SR1

Back