• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to traditional muzzleloaders. Questions on loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
graffs and sons for powder and primers, probably your best shot. Primers are chancey, and it initially seems expensive when you factor in the hazardous shipping costs, but if you buy 3-4 lbs and a grand of primers, it levels off the cost greatly, and you will probably be well set for a while. Track of the Wolf is a great place to deal with, and if they dont have it....
I would recommend replaceing the standard # 11 nipple with a musket nipple...easily found online (amazon or ebay) for under ten bucks. Nowadays musket caps are much more available than #11 primers., and the nipple is quickly and easily changed out (you will want to get a nipple wrench for the musket nip too).
Generally speaking....most standard sidelock muzzleloaders use #11 primers, with the nipple designed to take them. Military muskets used a much larger 43 winged cap, likely designed that way for a larger ignition spark and easier handling. The nipple itself is probably twice the size of the # 11 nipple, but the threads are comparable. Most any modern sidelock #11 nipple can be replaced with a musket nipple, obtainable from most any ML supplier. Two years ago when I couldnt get a reliable source of #11 caps, I switched over. For all practical purposes, they work exactly the same (but the smaller #11 likely would not work as well on a musket...I had and have no problem finding musket caps at a cheaper price on line than #11 caps. I would likely switch back when the supply improves, but the limited number I have now I will save for use with my percussion revolvers.

To OP - please note that 'Reg Hopes' is not the name of the inventor of a cleaning gloop. I bleeve that what was intended is 'Regular Hoppes'. 'Hoppes' IS a brand of barrel cleaner used primarily to remove copper fouling from a nitro-shooting firearm, NOT lead from a muzzleloader.

Sooner or later, everyone forgets you load the powder first. It won't be the end of the world, but do try to be consistent in your loading procedure.

Might try reading the owners manual first off.
Lots of items are for sale here on the forum.
If you make a purchase from me here off the forum. I return 2% of that sale back to the server upgrade.

Latest posts

Back