• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd day at the range with my Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The comprehensive way to think about sight adjustment is to realize that you are moving the sights in such a way as to have them looking at the group that you want to move.

In fact, if you can set the gun firmly in the position that the group was fired from you can then adjust the sights so that with the gun in that exact position the sights are aligned with the group. The tricky part of that is anchoring the rifle which may be impossible but it's not at all imperative that you use that method. But if you focus on thinking that way there is no mystery.

I'm finding myself intrigued by these little 32s. Not like I need one. Hopefully I'll get over it. 🙏
I will tell you this I have always shot 50, 54 and some 58 cal all my life. Since I got this 32 cal it's all I want to shoot. It's crazy fun. I wish I would have bought it years ago. My wife who doesn't really care for BP rifles absolutely loved shooting it today. I highly recommend the caliber.

I will tell you this I have always shot 50, 54 and some 58 cal all my life. Since I got this 32 cal it's all I want to shoot. It's crazy fun. I wish I would have bought it years ago. My wife who doesn't really care for BP rifles absolutely loved shooting it today. I highly recommend the caliber.
That's awesome news. Getting the wife to shooting with you is a good thing.

Ya know, early in the year I spent a lot of time on my Crockett squirrel rifle. Much testing and changing things to my likings, but also a lot of time in the woods/mountains chasing bushy tails. After spending so much time with that little ML and then picking up my larger bore ML's, it was almost like cultural shock. And after going to the range and testing my .54 GPR, it became apparent real quick like at the cost difference between shooting the two. At 20 grains per shot of powder compared to 90 grains per shot. Round ball.........32 Crockett ~146 per pound of lead compared to about 32 RB per pound with the .54 cal.

The .32 ML really does provide much fun at an economic value.

The best accuracy from my Crockett was a .311" ball over 30 grns of 3F. That load would punch 1 hole with 5 shots up to at least 44 yards. That was the load I shot, hunted with and worked on. My current .32 is a SMR flintlock. It shoots well with about any load I stuff in the bore. But at this time 20 grns of 3F Swiss is the winner. But while the Crockett gobbled up most any load and put the shots in a small group, the SMR seems a little "picky" and more work is needed.

The best accuracy from my Crockett was a .311" ball over 30 grns of 3F. That load would punch 1 hole with 5 shots up to at least 44 yards. That was the load I shot, hunted with and worked on. My current .32 is a SMR flintlock. It shoots well with about any load I stuff in the bore. But at this time 20 grns of 3F Swiss is the winner. But while the Crockett gobbled up most any load and put the shots in a small group, the SMR seems a little "picky" and more work is needed.
I have a meat shoot on Sunday and I'm taking it. After the shoot I have different patches and lube I want to try. I will tinker with it some more. It so fun to shoot and develop a good load for. I'm was a die hard flintlock fan. I had 1 percussion give to me and I bought another cheap. I rarely shot them. The one I bought I didn't shoot for 6+ years after I bought it. I built the crockett and now that seem to be all I want to shoot.

Alas, we don't have much in the line of squirrel hunting here. 😢

We have the little pine squirrels. Fun to hunt and better eating than they are said to be but very small.

We do have these Aberts squirrels and they are good eating and pretty good sized . Not easy to get into them though.

View attachment 243171

OTOH, seems like a great caliber for bunnies.
Man would I like to get one of those!!!

Well
Man would I like to get one of those!!!
, I was gonna work in my shop tonight but after reading this thread I grabbed my Crockett and gear and ran down to the range tonight. I shot 20,25 and 30 grains. Only swabbing between powder charge changes. They all shot well but possibly 30 was the best. Light was going there at the end and when 2 doe and a fawn walked out on the range I figured it was time to wrap it up. .311 balls, .020 ticking and 50/50 Murphy’s and water. Shooting beats work!

Well

, I was gonna work in my shop tonight but after reading this thread I grabbed my Crockett and gear and ran down to the range tonight. I shot 20,25 and 30 grains. Only swabbing between powder charge changes. They all shot well but possibly 30 was the best. Light was going there at the end and when 2 doe and a fawn walked out on the range I figured it was time to wrap it up. .311 balls, .020 ticking and 50/50 Murphy’s and water. Shooting beats work!
Its funny I spent years almost being anti anything that wasn't flintlock. The 32 cal crockett has changed every for me. It's absolutely crazy how fun it is. They are such an addictive caliber. I'm hoping to get to the range tomorrow before I take my dad to treatment. Shooting definitely beats work everyday.

Well

I'm somewhat surprise by a .020 patch and a .311 RB. How many shots were you able to get before it became difficult to seat the ball without having to run a patch down the bore?

I'm somewhat surprise by a .020 patch and a .311 RB. How many shots were you able to get before it became difficult to seat the ball without having to run a patch down the bore?
I shot 10 shots with 25 grains and then swabbed, 8-10 with 30 and then swabbed and finished with 20 grains. I had no problems loading even after 10 shots. For range shooting I use 50/50 Murphy’s and water. For hunting I use bear grease. I’ll experiment with that to see how many shots I can shoot before needing to swab.

My Kibler SMR in .36 I can shoot all day with out swabbing. That will be my main squirrel hunting rifle. I love that gun! But I’ll take the Crockett sometimes.

The small calibers are fun. At Kempton I bought a .36 rice barrel that is 38”. I’ll be getting a piece of maple soon and parts to build another squirrel rifle. I’m not sure when I’ll get it put together as I still work 6 days a week for another year yet.

I shot 10 shots with 25 grains and then swabbed, 8-10 with 30 and then swabbed and finished with 20 grains. I had no problems loading even after 10 shots. For range shooting I use 50/50 Murphy’s and water. For hunting I use bear grease. I’ll experiment with that to see how many shots I can shoot before needing to swab.

My Kibler SMR in .36 I can shoot all day with out swabbing. That will be my main squirrel hunting rifle. I love that gun! But I’ll take the Crockett sometimes.

The small calibers are fun. At Kempton I bought a .36 rice barrel that is 38”. I’ll be getting a piece of maple soon and parts to build another squirrel rifle. I’m not sure when I’ll get it put together as I still work 6 days a week for another year yet.
That's good to know, Jim.

I might give that a try one day. The two reasons why I haven't done already is due to ease of load as is. Don't need a short starter and repeated loadings without having to run a patch down the bore. The second reason is, the Crockett is accurate enough as is for my hunting distances. However, I still might do more experimenting later on. I have some .018 patches I can cut down for testing purposes. Also have a .311 mold on the way. That will tighten things up .004" to begin with.

One thing comes to mind when trying to find a tighter fitting load for my Crockett. As small as the bore is, as well as the small dia ramrod, it gives me pause as to possibly getting a load stuck in the bore.

As is, she is fairly accurate. But its can most likely be a bit more so with some experimenting.

It be interesting to see what Tanker settles on with his Crockett.

I started my muzzleloader squirrel hunting with a .32 T/C Cherokee. I swabbed after every shot as I read about how small calibers foul easily. Probably wasn’t necessary but that’s what I did even while hunting. Kind of a pain. I wanted a flintlock so bought the kibler .36 last summer. Had a ball with it last season and don’t need to swab it at all.
I was reading so much about the Crockett on here that when I got the chance to buy one from a member on here I did.
I like it but still prefer my flintlock. I’m enjoying experimenting with different loads and seeing how long I can shoot without swabbing or losing accuracy.
It is a fun gun and I’m looking forward to getting it in the woods this fall.
I’d like to come up with a sling for it some how. My Cherokee has one on it and it makes it nice. Any suggestions?

I started my muzzleloader squirrel hunting with a .32 T/C Cherokee. I swabbed after every shot as I read about how small calibers foul easily. Probably wasn’t necessary but that’s what I did even while hunting. Kind of a pain. I wanted a flintlock so bought the kibler .36 last summer. Had a ball with it last season and don’t need to swab it at all.
I was reading so much about the Crockett on here that when I got the chance to buy one from a member on here I did.
I like it but still prefer my flintlock. I’m enjoying experimenting with different loads and seeing how long I can shoot without swabbing or losing accuracy.
It is a fun gun and I’m looking forward to getting it in the woods this fall.
I’d like to come up with a sling for it some how. My Cherokee has one on it and it makes it nice. Any suggestions?
The only slings I can think of that would work on a Crockett is one of those raw hide type that ties around the barrel and the buttstock. They are out there, don't remember what site I saw them on. I too, would like to have one. Thought about that a few times while squirrel hunting.

Not trying to highjack Tankers Thread here. I recently purchased a Crockett from a member on the forum here. Took it out and shot it today, I tried oiled patches .010, greased patches .015 and spit patch pillow ticking .015. Aslo used some .310 balls and hand cast .311. The best group I got was with the spit patch and .311 ball over 20grs of Grafs 3F. All shooting was done at 25yds from a bench. I may try what little Swiss powder I have left on my next range trip. That is what I sighted in my other .32 in with. Trying to it get figured out for the upcoming squirrel season here in TN.

Not trying to highjack Tankers Thread here. I recently purchased a Crockett from a member on the forum here. Took it out and shot it today, I tried oiled patches .010, greased patches .015 and spit patch pillow ticking .015. Aslo used some .310 balls and hand cast .311. The best group I got was with the spit patch and .311 ball over 20grs of Grafs 3F. All shooting was done at 25yds from a bench. I may try what little Swiss powder I have left on my next range trip. That is what I sighted in my other .32 in with. Trying to it get figured out for the upcoming squirrel season here in TN.
Please post up your findings with the Swiss.

Sold my crockett, just didnt fit me right, a bit acward sighting. BUT, first trip to the range I clover leafed 4 shots at 25 yds with 10 gr. I am one of those that found swabbing absulutly necessary as it would get REAL hard to load after 2 shots and the patches were just a PIA to work with. Sold to a Sheriff in YUMA AZ and believe he loves it. I have a .36 and the devil may make me order another this weekend. However my .40 SMR Kibler will likly be my squirell gun once I get it going. I LOVE shooting without swabbing and thats what I hear from all the fellow Kibler fllowers.

That's good to know, Jim.

I might give that a try one day. The two reasons why I haven't done already is due to ease of load as is. Don't need a short starter and repeated loadings without having to run a patch down the bore. The second reason is, the Crockett is accurate enough as is for my hunting distances. However, I still might do more experimenting later on. I have some .018 patches I can cut down for testing purposes. Also have a .311 mold on the way. That will tighten things up .004" to begin with.

One thing comes to mind when trying to find a tighter fitting load for my Crockett. As small as the bore is, as well as the small dia ramrod, it gives me pause as to possibly getting a load stuck in the bore.

As is, she is fairly accurate. But its can most likely be a bit more so with some experimenting.

It be interesting to see what Tanker settles on with his Crockett.
I will keep updating the post on my load work up. I figure next week I will do some experiments with different loads. On getting a load stuck in the bore comment. So last time at the range there was 2 guys there shooting a 300 wsm and my wife. We were all talking as I loaded. Before I shot that load I took a little pause. Then not thinking I loaded again. As I was sitting hammer back ready to pull the trigger. I had a strange feeling something wasn't right. I then realized I loaded twice. So after I removed the cap. I pulled both balls and shot a cap through to make sure it was clear again. Pretty stupid move on my part. I will say this it was easy to pull both balls. The first thing I did was buy a brass range rod for 32 cal. I did that before i even built the gun. So as long as you don't rely on the rod in the gun I believe it will be easy to remove anything.

I will keep updating the post on my load work up. I figure next week I will do some experiments with different loads. On getting a load stuck in the bore comment. So last time at the range there was 2 guys there shooting a 300 wsm and my wife. We were all talking as I loaded. Before I shot that load I took a little pause. Then not thinking I loaded again. As I was sitting hammer back ready to pull the trigger. I had a strange feeling something wasn't right. I then realized I loaded twice. So after I removed the cap. I pulled both balls and shot a cap through to make sure it was clear again. Pretty stupid move on my part. I will say this it was easy to pull both balls. The first thing I did was buy a brass range rod for 32 cal. I did that before i even built the gun. So as long as you don't rely on the rod in the gun I believe it will be easy to remove anything.
I use a brass range rod too.👍🏻

Latest posts

Back