• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd day at the range with my Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to the range today with my Crockett. The picture attached is what I worked up. Seems to like 15 gr of 2 f. With 20 gr my shot group opened up a little more. The first 3 shots were low. I changes my sight picture and the next 3 were better. After these I shot maybe 20 more at different targets and it shoots a lot better than I can. I do have one question. I would like to go back to my original sight picture. To raise a shot group in fixed sights do I file down the front sights? For the life of me I can't wrap my head around adjusting the sights so I adjusted my sight picture.

Attachments

• 20230801_171846.jpg
    20230801_171846.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
Went to the range today with my Crockett. The picture attached is what I worked up. Seems to like 15 gr of 2 f. With 20 gr my shot group opened up a little more. The first 3 shots were low. I changes my sight picture and the next 3 were better. After these I shot maybe 20 more at different targets and it shoots a lot better than I can. I do have one question. I would like to go back to my original sight picture. To raise a shot group in fixed sights do I file down the front sights? For the life of me I can't wrap my head around adjusting the sights so I adjusted my sight picture.
Perhaps that was a typo. But 15 grains of 2F is not much. If you haven't already done so (don't recall your first post as to what loads you have tried) but I would not change anything until I tried what is recommended for that rifle, which is 3F. Most folks shooting Crockett rifles are using between 15 and 25 grains of 3F. Mine performs to my squirrel hunting standards with 20 grains of 3F, .015" ticking lubed with Tracks Mink Oil, and .310 RB.

3F is quite a bit faster burning than 2F. Haven't researched the smaller bores for this but for my .54's there is a 20 grain difference between the max loading for 2F and 3F.

Last edited:
what @ETipp said - first develop most accurate load, then start messing with sights. My .32 SMR likes 30 gr 3F - your rifle might like more or less - also try different patch materials and lubes. Once you have found load that is most accurate and hopefully easy to load, then adjust your sights to bring point of impact where you need it.

My Crockett is new as of this year. I am shooting 20 grains of Schuetzen 3f with a .311/.310 ball and .010 pre lubed patch. I was all set to experiment with patches, lube and grains of powder but I can hit the 6” gong at 50 yards every time so don’t need to. I’m going to shoot at least 150 shots and then evaluate. Hope you enjoy your new rifle!

SR1

Attachments

• IMG_20210820_190641329.jpg
    IMG_20210820_190641329.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Appears that the shorter barreled (28-32”) rifles prefer a lighter charge of powder than rifles with barrels 40” and longer. Anyone ever done side by side comparison about this? In my rifles with 40-44” barrels I have always found that the best accuracy is with a bit heavier charges. I use 30 gr 3F in my .32 rifles and 45-65 gr 3F in my .40 cal For best results.

Appears that the shorter barreled (28-32”) rifles prefer a lighter charge of powder than rifles with barrels 40” and longer. Anyone ever done side by side comparison about this? In my rifles with 40-44” barrels I have always found that the best accuracy is with a bit heavier charges. I use 30 gr 3F in my .32 rifles and 45-65 gr 3F in my .40 cal For best results.
Could be. I stopped at 20 grains of 3F in my Crockett rifle. It may be possible to squeeze more accuracy out of it, but I have shot and reloaded up to 11 times while squirrel hunting without running a patch down the bore. Also, I do not need a short starter, fingers only. It provides plenty of dead squirrels as out to my average hunting distance, so I decided to leave it as is. If I miss out to 30 yards, its my fault. Gotta know my limitations.

But that's just me.

I was just talking in general of my .40 42" Tn. Poor Boy rifle. It handled up to 90 gr of 3 f very accurately, i found that my best groups came at 75 gr at the 100 yard mark. It was certainly accurate from 30-75 gr. I just like the little heavier load when tick toter hunting.

I'm finding myself intrigued by these little 32s. Not like I need one. Hopefully I'll get over it. 🙏
I like to shoot everything from .32 to .58 but lately I have been spending more time with the .32's. Easier to cast balls, less powder, no recoil and just fun to shoot! (I guess that is a redundant statement because they are all fun to shoot)

I hope you do too. Because if you ever squirrel hunt with a .32 RB, you will be hooked for life.

Alas, we don't have much in the line of squirrel hunting here. 😢

We have the little pine squirrels. Fun to hunt and better eating than they are said to be but very small.

We do have these Aberts squirrels and they are good eating and pretty good sized . Not easy to get into them though.

th-727395689.jpg

OTOH, seems like a great caliber for bunnies.

Move the rear sight in the direction you want the ball to go. Did you mention nall size and patch thickness.
Nit Wit

Latest posts

Back