• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
For those who have assembled Mr. kibler's southern Mountain Rifle, do you think there might be an easy "fix" to lessening the extreme crescent curve of the buttstock? I realize it is authentic as is because Jim would not otherwise offer it.
I so admire that slim, graceful rifle. I know it would be a joy to carry, but I just can't get past that extreme curve. I mean I would very much like to go against authenticity to have that particular rifle with a less offensive ((to me) butt plate.
I recently finished Jim's Colonial and with that done I am now not so scared of assembling another one of his offerings.
My question is directed to those who have assembled his SMR or to gun builders at large: how much trouble would it be for a novice like myself to alter the SMR to where the curve was less pronounced? Might the included parts be altered to accomplish that blasphemous change? Would such an alteration disturb the length of pull drastically? Many years ago, 1980s, I had the Tenn. Poor Boy from TVM in .36. The butt didn't have the severe curve and I loved it. Just looking for something comparable.

Many southern guns were sans butt plate though they kept a toe plate. That leaves the notch in the comb. These were often filled with a piece of Antler, horn or Bone, then you can flatten the curve till it suits you, stay authentic and have your own one of a kind gun
Crazy crow sells bone antler and horn blanks for knifes that you can fit to your comb notch

It could be done without affecting the LOP. Get a flatter Butt plate close to the same size. You would need to remove wood at the top and the bottom of the butt to make it work.

Find an iron butt plate you like better, then start cutting. It is your rifle, make it work for you.
I doubt the LOP will change much as the current pull is really defined by the arch of current plate. Most wood will be removed at toe end.
Not really a job for a novice, but you did a nice job on the Colonial. Don’t be afraid to make changes that make you happy.

The reason for my abrupt dissention is that if the crescent is flattened, the rifle will not hang nearly as well and will require more muscle strain to hold on target, resulting in a poor experience. Also, flattening the hook for reasons of a more comfortable, conventional hold from the shooting bench with bag supports will result in getting your cheek rapped due to the angle of the comb and placement of the butt deeper into the shoulder pocket. Even the .45 with 70 grains of 3F doesn't recoil very much but the geometry will cause face sting and a very sore lump if you don't hold the rifle the way it was meant to be held, ask me how I know. Standing sideways, offhand, strong arm parallel to the ground, buttplate at the top of the bicep, with the rifle across the chest and head turned downrange places the check beside rather than on top of the comb and does not bite the shooter with recoil.

If you happen to only shoot from a bench for any number of valid reasons, I would suggest the Woodsrunner rather than the SMR, unless you sit sideways at the bench, use your supporting hand as you would standing, and steady the barrel with only a tall front support. The conventional rear bag and front rest bench configuration simply does not work with the SMR and similar longrifles with a lot of drop at heel, crescent buttplates, and steep, narrow combs.

For those who have assembled Mr. kibler's southern Mountain Rifle, do you think there might be an easy "fix" to lessening the extreme crescent curve of the buttstock? I realize it is authentic as is because Jim would not otherwise offer it.
I so admire that slim, graceful rifle. I know it would be a joy to carry, but I just can't get past that extreme curve. I mean I would very much like to go against authenticity to have that particular rifle with a less offensive ((to me) butt plate.
I recently finished Jim's Colonial and with that done I am now not so scared of assembling another one of his offerings.
My question is directed to those who have assembled his SMR or to gun builders at large: how much trouble would it be for a novice like myself to alter the SMR to where the curve was less pronounced? Might the included parts be altered to accomplish that blasphemous change? Would such an alteration disturb the length of pull drastically? Many years ago, 1980s, I had the Tenn. Poor Boy from TVM in .36. The butt didn't have the severe curve and I loved it. Just looking for something comparable.
Mike, adjusting to the SMRs crescent butt plate is a very short learning curve. Just move it from your shoulder to your upper arm and after a few shots you shouldn’t have any problems. It’s more natural off hand, but I have no problem shooting mine from the bench. If your determined not to like it I’d suggest getting a Woodsrunner.

Thanks all. Sounds like I'd better stay away from the SMR. Frank honest opinions are exactly what I was looking for. I've got one of the new GPRs by Pedersoli with a similar butt. Although I love the gun, I had to buy OxYoke's primitive sling to sort of fill up that "hole." I'm 76 and way too old to learn a different way to shoulder a rifle. But indeed, I surely appreciate the answers.

I put a Kibler SMR together, I made one other TN rifle without the deeper crescent butt plate. In comparison they shoulder exactly the same.

squirrel rifle done 009.JPG

kibler.jpg

Shoulder is the wrong word, upper bicep would be correct, this is a very comfortable way to shoot this type of rifle.

My suggestion would be to find someone close by who would let you shoulder their SMR, you will find your issue will become a non-issue when you do. Southern rifles shoulder like a dream when held properly.

I put a Kibler SMR together, I made one other TN rifle without the deeper crescent butt plate. In comparison they shoulder exactly the same.

View attachment 272594

View attachment 272595

Shoulder is the wrong word, upper bicep would be correct, this is a very comfortable way to shoot this type of rifle.

My suggestion would be to find someone close by who would let you shoulder their SMR, you will find your issue will become a non-issue when you do. Southern rifles shoulder like a dream when held properly.
That is what I was talking about. Gorgeous.

Here is a video I ran across that sort of addresses the curved buttplate:

Wow. That explains the issue perfectly. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I might be the only shooter who will avoid a SMR just because I refuse to shoot like that. It seems to me if I developed that technique I'd have trouble going back and forth between rifles, especially if I were in a stressful or important situation like deer hunting or fighting Indians. Thank you, sir.

Mike, adjusting to the SMRs crescent butt plate is a very short learning curve. Just move it from your shoulder to your upper arm and after a few shots you shouldn’t have any problems. It’s more natural off hand, but I have no problem shooting mine from the bench. If your determined not to like it I’d suggest getting a Woodsrunner.
I know you are right, you always are. The problem is me, not the gun.

I had zero trouble getting used to my SMR and when deer hunting with my old favorite unmentionable last Saturday had zero problem shooting it the way I always have. Didn’t even think, just shouldered, aimed and killed,

I have no issue with the Kibler SMR butplate. I also shoot service rifle and use a modern off hand hold for both. My shoulders are significant in size. The butplate sold with the Ohio-Vincent parts sets are unusable to me, the curve is to tight. I do modify those. I think, unless you can bench press 400-pounds you will be OK with the Kibler. I suggest trying a Kibler SMR and judge it on your first hand experience.

As far a modifying the plate, I would expect issues. The toe of the stock is extremely delicate and prone to chipping off when worked. Even if you could neatly open up the curve the wood will likely fight you.

Last edited:
I had zero trouble getting used to my SMR and when deer hunting with my old favorite unmentionable last Saturday had zero problem shooting it the way I always have. Didn’t even think, just shouldered, aimed and killed,
My experience the same. No problem switching back and forth.

When bench shooting the solution is to build sand bags ( or whatever) to a height that allows resting the elbow and upper arm in a horizontal position. Also, sit up straighter rather than laying out on the bench. This allows shooting from the bench in a position more like offhand. It's a lot less complicated than it seems. 😀

If you follow @tenngun suggestion it would not be complicated and wouldn't effect LOP. I think it would add considerable character.

I use an add on leather cuff when shooting from the bench. I consider it an offhand stock. I am rather tall. I use additional length on most guns when shooting from the bench.

Latest posts

Back