• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered Jim’s SMR Today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's nice. What did you finish the wood with?
1st coat was Kibler's tannic acid. After that dried, I used two coats of iron nitrate. Then I used a heat gun and the stock turned dark as coal. Then I used a maroon scotch guard pad to rub it back and expose the end grain. The pad was kept wet with a yellow stain that I think also came from Kibler's. If not then it was straight from Laurel Mountain Forge. After I got it where I wanted, I followed up with 4 coats of Tried and True oil.
Now I can't prove it, but I swear the stock has darkened over the last month. I'm seriously considering stripping it down and trying to bring out the background yellow. In direct sunlight It really looks cool. The picture was taken with overcast skies.
The barrel and hardware were browned with the Laurel Mountain Forge product. Second time I've used that and it's easy to get a great looking outcome. I did let it go a little longer than the directions said and the finish was a bit rougher than I was shooting for. Even with the baking soda scrub it has kept rusting for a couple weeks.
The pic below is right after I put on the last coat of TnT oil.

Attachments

• smr2.jpg
    smr2.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 0
1st coat was Kibler's tannic acid. After that dried, I used two coats of iron nitrate. Then I used a heat gun and the stock turned dark as coal. Then I used a maroon scotch guard pad to rub it back and expose the end grain. The pad was kept wet with a yellow stain that I think also came from Kibler's. If not then it was straight from Laurel Mountain Forge. After I got it where I wanted, I followed up with 4 coats of Tried and True oil.
Now I can't prove it, but I swear the stock has darkened over the last month. I'm seriously considering stripping it down and trying to bring out the background yellow. In direct sunlight It really looks cool. The picture was taken with overcast skies.
The barrel and hardware were browned with the Laurel Mountain Forge product. Second time I've used that and it's easy to get a great looking outcome. I did let it go a little longer than the directions said and the finish was a bit rougher than I was shooting for. Even with the baking soda scrub it has kept rusting for a couple weeks.
The pic below is right after I put on the last coat of TnT oil.
Brother that looks great. You sound like we think the same. I would do it just like you did. Thank you for the detailed reply. Your rifle is perfect to me

Brother that looks great. You sound like we think the same. I would do it just like you did. Thank you for the detailed reply. Your rifle is perfect to me
20/20 hindsight, I would put the yellow stain on prior to anything else. Then the tannic acid and iron nitrate. Then rub it back to a point just a "smig" lighter than I intended it to be when finished. I have nothing to base this idea on, only a gut feeling.

I also just ordered the Kibler SMR kit last Saturday. Will be a week or more before it arrives. I ordered the fancy maple and .40 cal. barrel. Been working on guns and restoring them for many years, but never built one from a kit before.
Shouldn't be an issue for you. Easier than an old Revell boat model. Semper Fi.

Latest posts

Back