• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered Jim’s SMR Today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an SMR waiting to be built right now. Just as soon as I finish moving from one house to another, I'll dive into it. Great cold weather project.

Please, please, please DONT start a build log.
There are those here, who have beat that to death.
I think build logs help the person building because helpful comments can prevent errors before they occur.
BTW, I'd love to get one but I can't get pass that deeply cut crescent butt. I know that is consistent with originals, but still . . . And the Woodsrunner stock has (to me) an odd "humpy" look to it. But oh my, NOT TO OFFEND. That's just me and I am weird.

How's it coming @Tenring ? I just got an email from Kibler's saying its been 30 days since my SMR shipped and asking for a review. So far, I can only review how well it was crated and how nice all the individual parts are.
We have been building my son's house and, along with all other chores (and I'm not retired), I feel guilty doing any 'playing'.
But I am more than ready to get it started! And looking forward to shooting day!

Not funny. Some builders are very new. Give them support, not your sarcasm.
First day on the internet, eh, Mike? Perhaps, if you read through this whole thread you would see one very well known build log person making a comment about build logs. He got blasted for his build log. Others on here commented, too. I'm sure they saw the one poster's build log to make the comments they were making.
Finally, if you had taken the time to maybe check out a lot of my postings, you would see that they are not sarcasm, but supportive of many of the people doing things here. Sure, I make postings that poke fun, but it is in fun, for a laugh, for those who know.

and, no, Flint and Steel, I am not doing this to prove that I know more than I do. I know I don't know everything, but I have picked up on many things over the years.

The Doc should bill you for this advice. 😎

After some money juggling and her zeal for saving even with the economy in the gutter I ordered Jim Kiblers SMR before his sale was closed today,that 10% really helped out on the final value fee of the rifle and the lock came out to be 270.00 I was surprised as I thought it would have been 300.00 and then taxed being it was a separate order. Right after I paid for the rifle I instantly got an email to pay for the Ketland Lock I thought is was a 24 to 48 hour thing until it was time to pay for the lock itself but I am glad it worked out like that so as to get it finished up.I would have liked to have gone with the fancy maple you don’t know how bad but had no other choice to go with the latter if I was going to pull the trigger on the kit. I have put my share of rifles together but I have been really wanting to try out the CNC configuration because Jim and his wife have done an outstanding job on their entire business operation from building to shipping ,and with all the great photos here of everyone’s builds and the discount It was the right time to buy. I will take pics when it‘s done and post a few. P.S. I had to ask Jim a question after I purchased the kit at [email protected] do you guys know if he answer his info email. Thanks in advance…
He's got a great business!

I just ordered a SMR today. Been putting it off for a coons age. Extra fancy maple and requested tight straight grain as opposed to flame or quilted. Is my preference. Ordered a big bore .45 to be my deer rifle. Really struggled with choosing between maple and walnut. I feel walnut is more the usual historically but can't deny the tiger stripe. Now I'm kicking around ideas of how to modify the kit. I will post pictures whenever it gets finished. Would be nice to finish it by late flintlock season here in PA.

My SMR was fun to assemble and came out looking great. It is sitting next to the WR waiting to head for the range. The Colonial assembly starts tomorrow.

Salty Cracker, I had the same dilemma as you. Maple or Walnut? Walnut would produce the plain looks of the southern mountain, but the more I saw pictures of Maple, the more I went that way until I finally ordered, in Maple. I was pleased as can be the way it came out. It has never been one of those, "Oh, I should have done this or that things." Whichever way you go, you will have a great gun.
SMR finished, kinda 2021-06-20 003.JPG

Salty Cracker, I had the same dilemma as you. Maple or Walnut? Walnut would produce the plain looks of the southern mountain, but the more I saw pictures of Maple, the more I went that way until I finally ordered, in Maple. I was pleased as can be the way it came out. It has never been one of those, "Oh, I should have done this or that things." Whichever way you go, you will have a great gun.View attachment 268865
Nice looking rifle DrLaw. I know it will be a fine shooting rifle. I do love walnut and it produces a mighty fine rifle stock but I was conflicted. Just leaves the thought of ordering another in walnut at some point I guess.

After some money juggling and her zeal for saving even with the economy in the gutter I ordered Jim Kiblers SMR before his sale was closed today,that 10% really helped out on the final value fee of the rifle and the lock came out to be 270.00 I was surprised as I thought it would have been 300.00 and then taxed being it was a separate order. Right after I paid for the rifle I instantly got an email to pay for the Ketland Lock I thought is was a 24 to 48 hour thing until it was time to pay for the lock itself but I am glad it worked out like that so as to get it finished up.I would have liked to have gone with the fancy maple you don’t know how bad but had no other choice to go with the latter if I was going to pull the trigger on the kit. I have put my share of rifles together but I have been really wanting to try out the CNC configuration because Jim and his wife have done an outstanding job on their entire business operation from building to shipping ,and with all the great photos here of everyone’s builds and the discount It was the right time to buy. I will take pics when it‘s done and post a few. P.S. I had to ask Jim a question after I purchased the kit at [email protected] do you guys know if he answer his info email. Thanks in advance…
I also just ordered the Kibler SMR kit last Saturday. Will be a week or more before it arrives. I ordered the fancy maple and .40 cal. barrel. Been working on guns and restoring them for many years, but never built one from a kit before.

I also just ordered the Kibler SMR kit last Saturday. Will be a week or more before it arrives. I ordered the fancy maple and .40 cal. barrel. Been working on guns and restoring them for many years, but never built one from a kit before.
This is fancy maple on my SMR. It's a .45cal, but I'm thinking the next one will be a .40 or .36.

Attachments

• smr.jpg
    smr.jpg
    842.1 KB · Views: 0
These kits do allow people who don't have the time or skills to produce a very nice looking and shooting rifle. Hats off to Jim Kibler. I was on the fence about buying a Woodsrunner but I came to my senses. I actually got to the check out and only had to press the button. I have 5 rifles and 1 smoothbore trade gun in the safe I built and haven't been shooting them enough so out with the Woodsrunner and in with taking more time with my own guns. Saved a ton of money too.

Latest posts

Back