• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Show us your flintlock squirrel rifles!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second that emotion... the rifle pics on this thread are beautiful. They are also inspiring... inspiring me to get one like them! :thumbsup:

Oh I see, shallow wide grooves and narrow lands but a faster twist not an extremely slow twist.I guess the groove depth wouldn't be shallow in a .36 caliber as opposed to a .58+ caliber. :thumbsup:

Grooves look to be 8/10 thousands deep and twist is 1/48". Ist. time out couldn't get it to group(30yrds). .350 cast ball, .018 ticking, 20 to 45 grns. :confused: 3F. 2nd session, .358 cast ball, .018 ticking, 20 to 45grns. 3F. A little better but not good!! :cursing: Was ready to pack it in, but decided to try 50 grns. Two 5 shot groups under 3/4" measured outside not center to center(30 yards). :shocked2: I call her my 36 cal Patched RB magnum.... :idunno:

TVMLateLancaster36Caliber640040910.jpg

This sweet little thing showed up at my house today. TVM Late Lancaster poor boy in .36 caliber. Double set triggers, large Siler lock and 13/16 x 36 inch Long Hammock barrel. I got her used (but definitely not abused) from a fellow muzzleloader who needed to liquidate some assets. I promised him I would take care of his baby. Can't wait to take her out and show the little lady a good time...

TVMLateLancaster36Caliber2640040910.jpg

Lobo

Very nice El Lobo! So......you used the old "I'll give her a nice home" card...good play! :haha:

I see this thread has nearly 1300 views,,,must be a lot of interest in these squirrel rifles.

just picked this little .36 up from mdtnhunter,hav'nt got to shoot it yet but it is very well put together.
007-1.jpg

005-6.jpg

Pretty is as pretty shoots.... This is my .32 flintlock Poorboy, by Jud Brennan....circa 1976

Ron_squirrels.jpg

NWTF Longhunter said:
Pretty is as pretty shoots.... This is my .32 flintlock Poorboy, by Jud Brennan....circa 1976

Ron_squirrels.jpg

Not for nothin NWTF Longhunter but all I see is you and a days worth of squirrels. :wink: There must be a better pic of that poor boy layin around somewhere. :thumbsup:

PICT0433.jpg

Not a flint but it served well until it's semi retirement. Really gorgeous rifles are posted on this thread. Don't know how to post 2 pics so will post the .32's successor alone.

PICT0377.jpg

A poor boy SMR, .36 x 38". Very plain but wonderfully accurate. While it pales in comparison to the ones above, it's as homely and lovable as a basset.

She's a real beauty. :thumbsup:

If I can get my camera fixed then I'll be able to post some photo's too. :idunno:

Do you guys experience trouble with increased fouling in small bore rifles? I've read opinions that .40 is about as small as you can go without having to clean the bore a lot more frequently to maintain accuracy.

goon said:
Do you guys experience trouble with increased fouling in small bore rifles? I've read opinions that .40 is about as small as you can go without having to clean the bore a lot more frequently to maintain accuracy.

No. In both my .32 and .36 I use a .028 canvas patch with .311 and .350 balls respectively. I use spit for lube. As long as I stay around 30 grains I can shoot either rifle all day without swabbing.

I shoot both .32 and .36 cals. Use spit patches. Swab with one wet and one dry between each shot. I'm old and slow and have lots of time on my hands. Besides, squirrels around here don't mind waiting till I'm ready. At the range however I have gotten as many as 18 to 20 shots off without cleaning. Vern

Back