• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 for squirrel? Powder charges?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, working on sighting in my new M Kemper rifle in .45. Did a bunch of off hand yesterday @ 25 yards and this thing is a shooter! Shoots same POI with 50gr as it does with 25gr. My question is, can a .45 be used for squirrel as a good option? Also I don’t have a chronograph so I’m not sure what the FPS is in the 25gr load I would like to be below 1000 fps for a squirrel. I love the idea of one rifle to rule them all and if I can tackle everything from Missouri whitetail to squirrels with one gun that would be fantastic! Let me know your thoughts! Do any of you shoot squirrel with a .45 RB or am I crazy??

Attachments

• 859DC671-0337-446F-A44D-B6EA5E9CDD0E.jpeg
    859DC671-0337-446F-A44D-B6EA5E9CDD0E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Interesting to see your post. I have a 45 cal Dickert Early Lancaster rifle also made my Marvin Kemper. Besides being my finest rifle, I do consider it to be my “do it all” rifle. It’s exceptionally accurate, with fast/easy loading and no swabbing. Very effective in whitetails, and no problem with head shots on squirrels, usually shot in the late season when I combine squirrel hunting with coyote hunting. While my rifle shoots as well with reduced loads, I usually use the same load for all my hunting.
CADE5D1C-F96C-4187-B434-197252FC6860.jpegB19FAD86-04F0-4935-B679-0E98523965AA.jpeg

MedicMike,
A 45 will work great on Squirrels!! I used to use a 36 but then I got a 45 Dickert rifle and I have used it for everything for about the last 10 years!! Aim for the head or upper quarters and you will have lots of success!
Squirrel hunting is my favorite!!
Good luck

Post some pics when you get out after them. Nice lookin rifle and gear. I've killed squirrels with a .32, .36, and .40 and honestly don't see any difference in damage to the animal. I'd imagine a relatively slow movin .45 wouldn't be any different. Wish you the best.

Thanks for all the good info guys! Truth be told I have a 32 kibler that is a squirrel killing machine but I just picked this rifle up and I have to say that I’m a bit handsome on it at the moment! I was shooting it for the first time the other day and was so impressed with the accuracy I thought WTH maybe I can use this for squirrel so here I am! @Art Caputo great looking kemper is that a bench copy gun or an original? Mine is a bench copy of a Nicholas Beyer rifle. Finest rifle I own! Has something like 23 inlays and you couldn’t fit a hair around any of them the execution is perfect! @Salty Cracker ill be getting you some squirrel photos very soon! Me and my little guy picked one up last week with the .32! Had to fight my daughter for it at dinner! Below is the original rifle that was copied, my squirrel dog, and the girl who eats all my squirrel!!!!

Attachments

• C3B846F2-FE4A-47A9-8CA8-DA2247EE575B.jpeg
    C3B846F2-FE4A-47A9-8CA8-DA2247EE575B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1610BB1D-A6BB-4319-B6FB-3C14DA5B7752.jpeg
    1610BB1D-A6BB-4319-B6FB-3C14DA5B7752.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • C017B211-F3EC-4292-A4AB-E998223975E4.jpeg
    C017B211-F3EC-4292-A4AB-E998223975E4.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Hey guys, working on sighting in my new M Kemper rifle in .45. Did a bunch of off hand yesterday @ 25 yards and this thing is a shooter! Shoots same POI with 50gr as it does with 25gr. My question is, can a .45 be used for squirrel as a good option? Also I don’t have a chronograph so I’m not sure what the FPS is in the 25gr load I would like to be below 1000 fps for a squirrel. I love the idea of one rifle to rule them all and if I can tackle everything from Missouri whitetail to squirrels with one gun that would be fantastic! Let me know your thoughts! Do any of you shoot squirrel with a .45 RB or am I crazy??
Just out of curiosity, I would take the charge down to until accuracy goes away. Don’t have my notes in front of me, but believe I was loading 17 grains of 3F or 4F in a 45 caliber Cherokee for those pesky tree rats out to 25 or 30 yards. No complaints and chance of sending an errant ball over the horizon or next ridge was reduced. For 32 caliber guns I use 12 to 15 grains of 3F or 4F, and again no complaints.

Just out of curiosity, I would take the charge down to until accuracy goes away. Don’t have my notes in front of me, but believe I was loading 17 grains of 3F or 4F in a 45 caliber Cherokee for those pesky tree rats out to 25 or 30 yards. No complaints and chance of sending an errant ball over the horizon or next ridge was reduced. For 32 caliber guns I use 12 to 15 grains of 3F or 4F, and again no complaints.
I like that! 17gr would be great! I’ll just have to keep working it down. I also like the slower moving ball so I don’t launch one over into Phelps county!

I like that! 17gr would be great! I’ll just have to keep working it down. I also like the slower moving ball so I don’t launch one over into Phelps county!
Honestly will come down to accuracy. Had a young nephew visiting and he ‘helped’ with the local tree rat problem using one of my 17 caliber target air guns (they have adjustable stocks so it fit him well) that launches 7 to 8 grain pellets at a little under 400fps. A few hung on to the tree branch for a few seconds before falling. A 45 caliber roundball at any velocity will be adequate. Not overly confident it went all that well with his mother when he informed her that he loved squirrel stew.

Latest posts

Back