• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.45 for squirrel? Powder charges?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, working on sighting in my new M Kemper rifle in .45. Did a bunch of off hand yesterday @ 25 yards and this thing is a shooter! Shoots same POI with 50gr as it does with 25gr. My question is, can a .45 be used for squirrel as a good option? Also I don’t have a chronograph so I’m not sure what the FPS is in the 25gr load I would like to be below 1000 fps for a squirrel. I love the idea of one rifle to rule them all and if I can tackle everything from Missouri whitetail to squirrels with one gun that would be fantastic! Let me know your thoughts! Do any of you shoot squirrel with a .45 RB or am I crazy??
25 to 30 grains works well.
I prefer rib cage shots. No meat there, and more humane because compared to aiming for the head, there is no chance of a pulled shot blowing off a nose or jaw on a profile shot causing a painful, lingering death.
I quit doing head shots years ago on deer with modern rifles for the same reason, even though I was never guilty of causing that kind of wound. Figured it was only a matter of time . . . .

Last edited:
I know this is a flintlock section and most likely talking about a long barrel rifle, but when I used to hunt squirrel with my short barrel T/C Hawken percussion rifle, 50 grains of FFF and a ball was very accurate anything from a treetop to most close range shooting under 50 yards. I rarely charged under 50 grains, it was my go to loading for light/close target shooting/squirrel/rabbit hunting.

Latest posts

Back