• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Show us your flintlock squirrel rifles!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 3F Swiss in my small bores. These guns are from 32 to 40cal. I have no issue at all with fouling. This is my experience, but Swiss is ideal for small bores. But, I really never had trouble though using Goex either. Over the years I have used allot of different lubes as well and I like patching/ball combos that allow for at least a .015 patch or thicker.

What products did you use to finish the stock with it, really looks excellent I have a new maple stock coming for my GPR and that is the kind of color and finish I hope to achieve. Thanks.

Small bores are no more prone to fouling than large bores. I shoot a .32 and a .36 and I can shoot all afternoon without cleaning the bore-same as my .50. As long as you use the proper patch and lube-as you should with any caliber-there shouldn't be a problem.

The stock is very dry when I started with it, My uncle had it sitting in his safe for 24 or so years before I got it.

I used Solarlux lemon yellow as a basecoat and went over it with Dangler's red-brown. The finish is about 16 thin coats of tru-oil rubbed in and smoothed out with bronze wool.

Lots of good info here for 36cal loads. I will have to try them out when I take it to the range. hopefully soon if work allows :surrender:

man that is nice, here is the first rifle i ever built, it is 40 cal 42 inch barrel beford county style.Excuse the carving that was before i figured out that less is better if you dont know what you are doing.done better on second rifle.Thes guns were built for hunting but i still wanted to make them mine if you know what i mean.
DSC_7582.jpg

DSC_7584.jpg

DSC_7573.jpg

DSC_7577.jpg

DSC_7580.jpg

DSC_7579.jpg

DSC_7559.jpg

DSC_7564.jpg

DSC_7568.jpg

DSC_7557.jpg

DSC_7563.jpg

Basset said:
Easy there Hanshi, nothing wrong with a Basset :wink:
Hmmmm....,well, no. Nothing wrong at all-mine is 13 and named "Micky". Ahem! Now there are other Bassets but I "spect" the whole breed is a real hoot when you get down to it. :thumbsup:

Very Nice.. I love the color on that Bedford. What did you use on it?
I have one on the rack, not sure what I want to do with it yet. :hmm:

Mines down on the bench about 3/4 completed. May post pictures when it is more presentable. .32 cal. 3/4"ATF 41" barrel with a nice curly wormy hard stick of maple. Known as The Problem Child!

I wish I could show a pic of my squirrle rifle, got to get one first, I'm in the market for 36 cal, been slowly saving my money to buy a kit, I've talked to the fella at Sitting Fox and he's quoted me the best price so far for what I'm wanting, maybe sometime this summer I'll get started on it.

the stain is laurel mountain cherry. left the wood around the barrel to thick so a couple weeks ago i whittled it down the way it should be. skinny!!

Yes I know, squirrel rifle is my next project, you know wife thinks refrigator, tires on car ect more important. This winter ok now all I need to chose .36 or .40. :thumbsup:

have a left hand 32 I will put it up against and new gun today and have have never been beat yet. Love to hunt.

i will take my 40 cal and shoot your bullets out of the air.......lol..and it is right handed!

Latest posts

Back